Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #18

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Ranger's Fall 2020 Prospect Rankings

1. Alexis Lafreniere (F) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
2. Igor Shesterkin (G)
(2014 Draft - 4th Round) (E)
3. Nils Lundkvist (RD)
(2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+2)
4. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (E)
5. K'Andre Miller (LD) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+1)
6. Braden Schneider (RD) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
7. Matthew Robertson (LD) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+6)
8. Julien Gauthier (F) (2016 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
9. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 - 6th Round) (+2)
10. Zac Jones (LD) (2019 - 3rd Round) (-3)
11. Tarmo Reunanen (LD) (2016 Draft - 4th Round) (+5)
12. Karl Henriksson (F) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+3)
13. Will Cuylle (F) (2020 - 2nd Round) (N/R)
14. Libor Hajek (LD) (2016 - 2nd Round) (-5)
15. Tyler Wall (G) (2016 - 6th Round) (+3)
16. Lauri Pajuniemi (F) (2018 - 5th Rounder) (-2)
17. Evan Vierling (F) (2020 Draft - 5th Round) (N/R)

https%3A%2F%2Fbluelinestation.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1082548730.jpeg

Hunter Skinner has been added to the poll.

Players available to be added:​

PlayerAgePosition
Dylan Garand18G
Adam Huska23G
Olof Lindbom20G
Hugo Ollas18G
Leevi Aaltonen19F
Eric Ciccolini19F
Adam Edstrom19F
Jake Elmer21F
Gabriel Fontaine23F
Riley Hughes20F
Patrick Newell24F
Matthew Rempe18F
Ty Ronning22F
Austin Rueschhoff23F
Brandon Crawley23LD
Simon Kjellberg20LD
Jacob Ragnarsson21LD
Yegor Rykov23LD
Calle Sjalin21LD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Woohoo! Skinner on the list.

Khodorenko.

I'd go with Rykov based on talent and pedigree, but he seems to not be the same player since his injury in Traverse City. So, um, Garand, I guess.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Rykov has apparently become quite polarizing.

After his injury last year, he regressed, and I'm not sure that he's gotten back to where he was.

Also, once his contract his up, I just don't see how we're going to be re-signing a 3rd pairing KHL defenseman who already has a disappointing AHL season under his belt.

There are nearly 10 more guys to add before I would vote for him.

Reactions: kovazub94

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

After his injury last year, he regressed, and I'm not sure that he's gotten back to where he was.

Also, once his contract his up, I just don't see how we're going to be re-signing a 3rd pairing KHL defenseman who already has a disappointing AHL season under his belt.

I can see them giving him a QO just to retain his rights, but I wouldn't expect him to sign it. I think he's gone.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

he's unlikely to be signed but is the poll for who is most likely to be a ranger or the best prospect? if its the 2nd then the likelihood of signing him means little if you think he could be a nhler if given the change imo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
he's unlikely to be signed but is the poll for who is most likely to be a ranger or the best prospect? if its the 2nd then the likelihood of signing him means little if you think he could be a nhler if given the change imo

I think these two are related. Rykov is unlikely to get a contract being a 3rd pair D at 23. Ditto for his chances to becoming an NHLer.

I used to be very high on him based on how he finished his 18-19 season immediately before getting his contract and coming over. Besides the injury I have absolutely no idea why he has stopped progressing (more like significantly regressing) since then.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Berard for the upside here.

He’s less further along than some of the other options, and hasn’t quite carved out as clear of a path at this time, but I think he’s the most intriguing skater on the board at this point and one of the more intriguing prospects in the system.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
It's amazing how a few years ago our top guys were mainly 3rd round picks or later. Now we have 2nd round picks sitting at 13 and 14, and a few kids who graduated recently.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's amazing how a few years ago our top guys were mainly 3rd round picks or later. Now we have 2nd round picks sitting at 13 and 14, and a few kids who graduated recently.
Yeah a few years ago there'd be genuine buzz about the three college UDFAs. And while I do like them they're all still C-level prospects.

Reactions: kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Berard should be several spots higher than he is.
Khodorenko was once regarded as the best prospect in the world in his age group:laugh:
C Patrick Khodorenko - Michigan State, NCAA (2017 undrafted; signed by NYR)

from that cited thread
from all accounts he is heading to the USNDP for the next year minimum.
he is ranked as the #1 prospect for his age group in North America by numerous services and was the star player on Honey Baked the past 2 seasons.
I love the kid. he has elite hands and vision. I have had the pleasure of watching him play numerous times on that stacked Honey Baked team, but he really has the chance to be special. built like an ox IMO, not overly big just amazingly strong legs and so hard to knock off the puck and his feet.
I could also see him going to the WHL after his time with the USNDP, maybe in the same way Kane went from the USNDP to the OHL.
Patrick could be that next star Center that we have been missing, hopefully he and Eichel develope as hoped.

2 years w NTDP before 4 at MSU
Patrick Khodorenko at eliteprospects.com

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
from that cited thread

2 years w NTDP before 4 at MSU
Patrick Khodorenko at eliteprospects.com
That's lofty praise for him. I really like his overall tools, but it's worth pointing out that he does not have any "elite" skills at this point and his production (very solid but not great) bears that out. Lots of guys look like studs at 15 and then become nothing.

I like Khodorenko a lot, but I would temper expectations for him (not directed at you, but anyone maybe reading that post and not understanding the full context).

Last edited:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
That's lofty praise for him. I really like his overall tools, but it's worth pointing out that he does not have any "elite" skills at this point and his production (very solid but not great) bears that out. Lots of guys look like studs at 15 and then become nothing.

I like Khodorenko a lot, but I would temper expectations for him (not directed at you, but anyone maybe reading that post and not understanding the full context).

From the Black Book during his draft eligible year if anyone is interested:

Patrick is a big body. He can bull his way through checks when he keeps his feet moving and plays with a purpose, he just doesn’t bring that style of play all the time. Khodorenko displays a good amount of puck skills and can make things happen in the offensive end; however, he needs to develop more of a willingness to go work for the puck. In our viewings, he doesn’t engage in enough battles and the ones he does, he doesn’t show enough effort and plays smaller than his size. Patrick has good creativity with the puck, he likes to use his hands to draw defenders to him then feed the puck to the open areas. While Khodorenko wouldn’t be described as an explosive skater, he has good straight line speed and above average footwork. In order for Khodorenko to get the most out of his game going forward he is going to have to show a better work ethic and be harder to play against. When he does these things, he can really be difficult to handle in the offensive zone. While we don’t see Khodorenko’ s ceiling much higher than a 3rd line centre who can provide help on special teams, if he develops his board play and learns to use his physical tools to his advantage, Patrick could develop into an NHL player.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad