Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #15

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Richards. Gettinger.

On Richards---since the NCHC college conference formed several years ago these are all the guys who have won best defensive forward in that conference.

Nic Dowd --251 NHL games--currently plays for Washington.
Mark MacMillan
Sean Kuraly--223 NHL games--currently plays for Boston.
Dominic Toninato--85 NHL games--currently plays for Winnipeg.
Rhett Gardner--played 8 NHL game for Dallas in his first pro season.
Justin Richards--and then
Justin Richards again.

Richards played 3 seasons for U-Minn. Duluth--arguably the best and most pro like team in college hockey. In his first season Duluth wins an NCAA championship. In his second season Duluth wins another NCAA championship completely smothering U Mass Amherst and Cale Makar and in his third season Covid comes along and shuts everything down. He's got a 200' game--is a faceoff guy and he's used to winning.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Richards. Gettinger.

On Richards---since the NCHC college conference formed several years ago these are all the guys who have won best defensive forward in that conference.

Nic Dowd --251 NHL games--currently plays for Washington.
Mark MacMillan
Sean Kuraly--223 NHL games--currently plays for Boston.
Dominic Toninato--85 NHL games--currently plays for Winnipeg.
Rhett Gardner--played 8 NHL game for Dallas in his first pro season.
Justin Richards--and then
Justin Richards again.

Richards played 3 seasons for U-Minn. Duluth--arguably the best and most pro like team in college hockey. In his first season Duluth wins an NCAA championship. In his second season Duluth wins another NCAA championship completely smothering U Mass Amherst and Cale Makar and in his third season Covid comes along and shuts everything down. He's got a 200' game--is a faceoff guy and he's used to winning.

In that vein, I think it is somewhat important to note that a lot of those names also spent some time in the AHL before growing into those cheaper fourth line options who had rounded out a fourth line/sometimes platooned a little bit.

So Richards could be a guy who sees a year or two in the AHL first.

Reactions: Leetch3

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
When drafted, there were many who said Schneider was a mistake, because we had so many RDs, but its very evident that behind Lundkvist, we had nobody. 15 spots, and we only have 2.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Richards, add Lindbom. Richards reminds me of a Dominic Moore type

It's funny, that's the comparison I used for Vierling with his IQ, two-way play, motor and skating.

I think his upside is a tier up from someone like Richards in the sense that he could be someone who quitely plays 1,000 games in the NHL based on his ability to be used in some different roles and systems.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Not that it should change much, but I clicked on Tarnstrom when I meant to vote for Vierling. Add Rueschhoff

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Pajuniemi got a scoring touch and he’s a volume shooter. Kudos to him for staying relevant while being a late pick. Should get some love before the new flavor late picks get their ranks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pajuniemi got a scoring touch and he’s a volume shooter. Kudos to him for staying relevant while being a late pick. Should get some love before the new flavor late picks get their ranks.

He's an interesting case because he's probably the most offensively "skilled" skater left in the poll, or damn near close.

He's probably a little more boom or bust than some of the other options because he's the type who either translates the goal scoring ability to North American pro hockey, or he's a guy who goes back and spends the next 15 years lighting up the lamp overseas. He's not widely seen as a guy who is as likely to re-invent himself or even settle into a Buch like role as a skilled player who sometimes plays a middle six role.

Last edited:
Reactions: RGY

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's an interesting case because he's probably the most offensively "skilled" skater left in the poll, or damn near close.

He's probably a little more boom or bust than some of the other options because he's the type who either translates the goal scoring ability to North American pro hockey, or he's a guy who goes back and spend the next 15 years lighting up the lamp overseas. He's not widely seen as a guy who is as likely to re-invent himself or even settle into a Buch like role as a skilled player who sometimes plays a middle six role.

Yup, he was drafted for his offensive potential and he delivered (and then some IMO) last year. He’s got a quick and accurate shot and volume in close to NHL size ice so I could see him being able to find open spots at a higher level. I would have expected more love at this point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yup, he was drafted for his offensive potential and he delivered (and then some IMO) last year. He’s got a quick and accurate shot and volume in close to NHL size ice so I could see him being able to find open spots at a higher level. I would have expected more love at this point.

I think stylistically, there's some lingering concern about how it translates and whether or not it translates at a high enough rate to overlook that it's pretty much the one note he hits.

Some of these guys have legit cases for sneaking into more than few top 10 lists, or just outside. But competition is tight and there are a lot of good options to choice from.

I mean Richards and Gettinger are two guys who carve our nice careers on a fourth line and stick at the NHL level for a while. But they might not make the top 20 simply based on the sheer number of talents we have listed and some of their potential upsides.

It's almost comical.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's totally fair. I like Richards over Khodorenko because while I think Khodorenko has more pure upside, with a better overall skill set, Richards is a very good skater who is a dynamo on the PK, strong on the boards, tremendous at the FO circle, and showed excellent progress offensively--showing nice hands and good vision. I think the skills that he excels at will enable him to slide into the lineup in the very near future.

I obviously have a soft spot for college players. I was a big advocate for both Nieves and Fogarty, who never really amounted to much. That said, the guys we're voting on now, a vast majority will not even be as successful in the AHL as Fogarty, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I am still surprised both players picked the Rangers with the wide range of options they had

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think stylistically, there's some lingering concern about how it translates and whether or not it translates at a high enough rate to overlook that it's pretty much the one note he hits.

Some of these guys have legit cases for sneaking into more than few top 10 lists, or just outside. But competition is tight and there are a lot of good options to choice from.

I mean Richards and Gettinger are two guys who carve our nice careers on a fourth line and stick at the NHL level for a while. But they might not make the top 20 simply based on the sheer number of talents we have listed and some of their potential upsides.

It's almost comical.

Personally I’m not surprised finding prospects that have a good shot at being bottom liners in this section but who hasn’t done it at close enough level. I’m surprised that an offensive talent who performed well at a pretty high pro level while still plenty young is not ahead.

P.S. He probably will get a chance to go after Wall.

Reactions: Edge

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
That's totally fair. I like Richards over Khodorenko because while I think Khodorenko has more pure upside, with a better overall skill set, Richards is a very good skater who is a dynamo on the PK, strong on the boards, tremendous at the FO circle, and showed excellent progress offensively--showing nice hands and good vision. I think the skills that he excels at will enable him to slide into the lineup in the very near future.

I obviously have a soft spot for college players. I was a big advocate for both Nieves and Fogarty, who never really amounted to much. That said, the guys we're voting on now, a vast majority will not even be as successful in the AHL as Fogarty, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

Speaking of Fogarty... are we bringing him back? I thought he was great for HFD. Wouldn't mind having him back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad