Rangers Prospect Ranking: (Winter 2019) - #22

#22 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ranger's Winter 2019 Prospect Ranking

1. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (+2) (54%)
2. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (-1) (77%)
3. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (-1) (76%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (E) (49%)
5. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (+2) (76%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (E) (80%)
7. Nils Lundqvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (+2) (46%)
8. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (-3)
9. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (+2) (41%)
10. Joey Keane (D) (2018 Draft - 3rd round) (+14) (44%)
11. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round (+1) (73%)
12. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (-2) (63%)
13. Tarmo Reunanen (D) (2016 Draft - 4th round (NR) (43%)
14. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 Draft - 6th round (+4) (46%)
15. Boo Nieves (F) (2012 Draft - 2nd round (+7) (49%)
16. Ville Meskanen (F) (Undrafted) (E) (31%)
17. Tim Gettinger (F) (2016 Draft - 5th round (+10) (31%)
18. Vinni Lettieri (F) (Undrafted) (-4) (47%)
19. Jacob Ragnarsson (D) (2018 Draft - 3rd round) (-2) (25%)
20. Nico Gross (D) (2018 Draft- 4th round) (+10) (50%)
21. Lauri Pajuniemi (F) (2018 Draft - 5th round) (E) (47%)

Lauri%2BPajuniemi.jpg

-----------------------
SUMMER LIST (All nominations can be found here)
Tell me who you want added.
Added: Wall​
List of eligible players left to be added:
Player NameLast RankPlayer NameLast Rank
Ronning, Ty13Crawley, BrandonHM
14Gropp, RyanHM
Day, Sean15Hughes, RileyHM
16O'Gara, RobHM
18HM
Virta, Patrik19Bernhardt, DanielNR
21Forgarty, StevenNR
22Halverson, BrandonNR
23Kjellberg, SimonNR
25Lakatos, DominikNR
Gilmour, John26Leedahl, DawsonNR
28Nanne, TylerNR
29Nell, ChrisNR
30NR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I voted for Sjalin. He and Bigras were pretty close for me, but my bias is to go with the younger guy who has more upside. Bigras is a better player today, but his development seems to have stalled out in the AHL, he'll be 24 next month, and I wonder if he has much room left to grow. Sjalin, who is 4.5 years younger than Bigras, is establishing himself in a pro league at 19. It seems to me like there's a decent chance he can catch up to or surpass Bigras in 4.5 years, and I put a lot of value in the higher potential upside you get with the younger prospects.

Add Hughes. I watched a shift-by-shift of one of his games with Newhook and thought he looked pretty good. He's got pretty good hands, seems like one of the stronger players at the BCHL level, and he created a bunch of scoring chances. His skating isn't great, but it looked at least decent to me. It seemed to me like he was making plenty of plays on his own instead of getting carried by Newhook. He doesn't turn 19 until this summer and still has a lot of time to develop.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I voted for Sjalin. He and Bigras were pretty close for me, but my bias is to go with the younger guy who has more upside. Bigras is a better player today, but his development seems to have stalled out in the AHL, he'll be 24 next month, and I wonder if he has much room left to grow. Sjalin, who is 4.5 years younger than Bigras, is establishing himself in a pro league at 19. It seems to me like there's a decent chance he can catch up to or surpass Bigras in 4.5 years, and I put a lot of value in the higher potential upside you get with the younger prospects.

Add Hughes. I watched a shift-by-shift of one of his games with Newhook and thought he looked pretty good. He's got pretty good hands, seems like one of the stronger players at the BCHL level, and he created a bunch of scoring chances. His skating isn't great, but it looked at least decent to me. It seemed to me like he was making plenty of plays on his own instead of getting carried by Newhook. He doesn't turn 19 until this summer and still has a lot of time to develop.

Yup, same reason I voted Sjalin over Bigras.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Sjalin, add Fogarty

Are there any updates on Tyler Nanne? Has anyone watched a Minnesota game recently?

If you're just stat watching, you could compare his 2nd year playing defense at Minnesota pretty closely to Brady Skjei's 3rd year. Now add in the fact that Nanne lost a year of development to a life-threatening condition, and that Nanne plays on a significantly worse Minnesota team, and you start to wonder.. does Nanne deserve to continue to be unranked in these polls?

Obviously there's more to prospects than stat watching and I'm leaving out some key details to make a point (Skjei had better size, was younger, etc). But since I haven't watched Nanne and haven't seen a recent scouting report on him, there's not much else to go off of.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm voting Sjalin. No one else here is worth a vote. That being said it's great being able to go almost 25 deep.

I'm not adding anyone.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Bigras, add Fogarty.

Why the f*** are people voting Lindbom? He has no track record outside of one WJC performance.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Bigras, add Fogarty.

Why the **** are people voting Lindbom? He has no track record outside of one WJC performance.

I voted Sjalin this round, but considered Lindbom and will vote for him soon.

1. His performance at WJC's shows he has a ton of potential and he's super young, so there's a lot of time for him to reach it. I think he has the highest upside of anyone left on this list
2. I think Allaire is good at what he does and the fact that Allaire reportedly loved him is significant for me

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I voted Sjalin this round, but considered Lindbom and will vote for him soon.

1. His performance at WJC's shows he has a ton of potential and he's super young, so there's a lot of time for him to reach it. I think he has the highest upside of anyone left on this list
2. I think Allaire is good at what he does and the fact that Allaire reportedly loved him is significant for me
I'm wary of putting the majority of emphasis on tournament play, which can be boiled down to variance. He's been dealing with injury issues all season and has barely played. I'd need to see him have a healthy season before even considering him for a top-25 spot.

I think this is a different situation than someone like Reunanen, who always had the solid track record despite his injury-riddled seasons. Lindbom doesn't have that as of now.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Bigras, add Fogarty.

Why the **** are people voting Lindbom? He has no track record outside of one WJC performance.
The professionals in charge of the hockey team said he was at least the 39th best player in the draft last year, then he got injured. I don't have a great feeling about it either but it would be ridiculous if they turned around and traded him to like the Sharks for their decent AHL defenseman.

Lindbom, add Gilmour

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The professionals in charge of the hockey team said he was at least the 39th best player in the draft last year, then he got injured. I don't have a great feeling about it either but it would be ridiculous if they turned around and traded him to like the Sharks for their decent AHL defenseman.

Lindbom, add Gilmour
That should worry you extremely, because valuing a goalie as the 39th player is an absolutely terrible decision.

Goalie development is basically voodoo, and you can probably just keep repeating Georgiev situations to backfill goaltender depth.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I'm wary of putting the majority of emphasis on tournament play, which can be boiled down to variance. He's been dealing with injury issues all season and has barely played. I'd need to see him have a healthy season before even considering him for a top-25 spot.

I think this is a different situation than someone like Reunanen, who always had the solid track record despite his injury-riddled seasons. Lindbom doesn't have that as of now.

I just think it shows his what his upside is. A lot of things would need to go right for him to reach it, but even if he's a long shot, if there's some shot he turns into a starting NHL goalie, it doesn't seem crazy to me to rank him somewhere in the 20's / above guys whose upside is being a bottom line player that you could sign for the minimum in FA anyway.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I will only evaluate Lindbom on his own merits--i.e., his performance and any additional legitimate scouting information we receive. As I've said a few times in the past couple weeks, the "Allaire Seal of Approval" doesn't really move me at this point. Maybe Allaire is some degree better at identifying good goaltenders and subsequently turning them into NHL players, but I don't know. There are still more "Allaire loves him!" guys that do kak than those who turn into notable players. I'm not saying he's not good. I just don't care if Allaire likes him. Ostensibly, Allaire likes every goalie we ever draft or sign.

Everyone on the list plus Fogarty, O'Gara, and Virta, I will be voting for/to add before I vote for Lindbom. And it's not because I think he's bad--he's just had a totally lost season to this point, would be on the fringes of our top-20 anyway, and I'm unmoved by him being a second round pick that Allaire liked. Should he have a good finish to the season or something, I'll definitely move him up my list. But not now.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad