#9 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
To be fair, Andersson would have gotten almost 98% of the votes had I done the 4th poll but we automatically gave him the spot.

How did you get that number? You have no idea how much of the vote he'd have gotten from the folks that voted for Kravtsov in the previous poll.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Kravtsov, Pionk, and Lundkvist are pretty low, in my opinion.

1. Shestyorkin (elite upside)
2. Kravtsov (basically tied with Shestyorkin, since goalies are such an unknown)
3. Chytil (he's great, but I feel like we slightly overrate him)
4. Miller (#1-2 D-man upside)
5. Andersson (because of limited upside)
6. Pionk (because he is very close to being a top 4 D-man)
7. Lundkvist (top 4 upside, and I love offensive D-men)
8. Howden (good, but not great upside)
9. Hajek (eh, hard to tell with him)
10. Lindgren (I believe he has untapped offensive potential)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well, to be fair. The only thing that makes Miller a better prospect on paper is that he was drafted 15 minutes earlier.

Miller's upside is quite a bit higher than Lundkvist's. That's the main reason he went higher. So, as of today, there is simply no reason to somehow put Lundkvist above Miller. That could change this season, but it's not changing directly after the draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are always going to be players you can flip-flop within a list.

It's the same with draft-eligible lists. People get so caught up in the number beside the name that it can distract from a tangible conversation about the prospect.

Personally, I would swap Shestyorkin and Chytil, Andersson and Kravtsov, and Howden and Hajek. But it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I could also put Lundkvist ahead of Pionk, but I probably wouldn't put him ahead of Miller.

Keeping in mind that any and all of these prospects could significantly rise or fall depending on the next steps they take. We're not branding their rankings on them with hot irons.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

It's the same with draft-eligible lists. People get so caught up in the number beside the name that it can distract from a tangible conversation about the prospect.

Personally, I would swap Shestyorkin and Chytil, Andersson and Kravtsov, and Howden and Hajek. But it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I could also put Lundkvist ahead of Pionk, but I probably wouldn't put him ahead of Miller.

Keeping in mind that any and all of these prospects could significantly rise or fall depending on the next steps they take. We're not branding their rankings on them with hot irons.

Well, a lot of this comes down to personal preference. There are people who value pro-hockey as a draft eligible player over dominating at junior level. And to some degree, there's a good case for both sides. That's not to say that any player who plays pro hockey at age 17 or 18 is definitely better than players who play junior hockey but it adds a new dimension to the way we value and rank prospects that wasn't as important 10-15 years ago.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I think Lundkvist and Pionk are at least pretty comparable. I would probably swap them, but it's also hard to argue over Pionk's actual NHL experience so far, too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Lundkvist and Pionk are at least pretty comparable. I would probably swap them, but it's also hard to argue over Pionk's actual NHL experience so far, too.

That's really what it came down to for me.

I like Lundkvist's top 4 potential more than Pionk's, and don't really think people are aware of how high his skill level is, but he's also further away with significantly more moving parts.

Pionk, at the very least, showed signs that he can be an NHL defenseman, something none of our other top defensive prospects have yet shown. So that has to count for something.

But you have a guy like Georgiev, who doesn't have the pedigree and plays a volatile position. He very likely won't be in our top 10 and yet we can't yet rule out that he won't be an NHL starter someday.

The amount of depth within the organization is leading to some very interesting developments.

That's why I'd like to see the accumulation of depth continue through the next draft.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
lundkvist certainly.

even though i didnt love the pick, he is very skilled and brings legit offensive upside.

in 2 years, he may well be a fixture.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
A lot of the votes are not consistent rank-to-rank, where a guy who got 3% now has 33% and the runner-up is like 12%. Meanwhile everybody talks about where they have guys ranked. I did that also but when I was 18-20. lol... I predict Lindbom won't be added till like 20.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The challenging part for our 2018 top picks is the timetable.

We didn't necessarily go out and land Zadina, Veleno and McIsaac like Detroit. Their going to know in fairly short order what they have or don't have with those three. I'd probably argue they'll know what they have in Berggren sooner rather than later.

The Rangers, for the most part, are probably going to have to wait a little longer on Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, and Lindbom.

Kravtsov has the earliest turnaround time, and even then you're looking at probably at least a year away from being a guy who has a reasonable NHL impact, maybe closer to two years. For as good as he could be, I don't think he's going to come flying out of the gate at 18 or 19.

On the other end of the spectrum, even if Lindbom develops, he's probably closer to 5 years away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad