Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #20 Prospect

#20 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ranger's Summer 2018 Prospect Poll

1. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (66%)
2. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (59%)
3. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (52%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round)
5. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (44%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (47%)
7. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (55%)
8. Neal Pionk (D) (Undrafted) (56%)
9. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (60%)
10. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (41%)
11. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (50%)
12. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round)
13. Ty Ronning (F) (2016 Draft - 7th round) (28%)
14. Vinni Lettieri (F) (Undrafted) (28%)
15. Sean Day (D) (2016 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)
16. Ville Meskanen (F) (Undrafted) (32%)
17. Jacob Ragnarsson (D) (2018 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)
18. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 Draft - 6th round) (31%)
19. Patrik Virta (F) (2017 Draft - 7th round) (34%)

patrikvirta--kss0w6dm8s_s673x0_q80_noupscale.jpg

[yt]

*Anthony DeAngelo played 6 too many NHL games is no longer eligible*
----------------------------------------------​

Added: Keane

Please post who you want added, eligible prospects that can be added:

Bernhardt, Daniel LW/L
Bigras, Chris D/L
Crawley, Brandon D/L
Fogarty, Steven D/L
Fontaine, Gabriel C/L
Gilmour, John D/L
Gropp, Ryan LW/L
Gross, Nico D/L
Halverson, Brandon G/L
Hughes, Riley RW/R
Kjellberg, Simon LW/L
Lakatos, Dominik C/L
Leedahl, Dawson LW/L
Nanne, Tyler D-F/R
Nell, Chris G/L
O'Gara, Rob D/L
Pajuniemi, Lauri RW/R
Pedrie, Vince D/L
Reunanen, Tarmo D/L
Sjalin, Calle D/L
Wall, Tyler G/L

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Huska as promised.

Understand the slide because of new depth in the prospect pool but he hasn't done anything to lower his own worth to the organization and should be the 3rd goalie and part of top20.

Add Gilmour (c'mon already!)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As an aside, what this list make readily apparent is that this organization really needs to give 3-4 young players legit chances for NHL time THIS season or next year will be too large of an influx of rookies.

They need to determine what they have with:
O'Gara
Gilmour
Nieves
Fogarty
Pionk (I see him as a legit NHLer)
ADA (same as Pionk)
Lettieri (for me, he is a NHLer as well)

And to a lesser extent:
Lindqvist
Meskanen
Bigras

There are quite a few young players pushing who may be 6 months to a year away so the guys above really need to show what they have and be given an opportunity (more than 5 games) to see what they have. Guys like:
Lingren
Hajek
Andersson
Chytil
Kravtsov
Rykov
Howden

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
As an aside, what this list make readily apparent is that this organization really needs to give 3-4 young players legit chances for NHL time THIS season or next year will be too large of an influx of rookies.

They need to determine what they have with:
O'Gara
Gilmour
Nieves
Fogarty

Pionk (I see him as a legit NHLer)
ADA (same as Pionk)
Lettieri (for me, he is a NHLer as well)

And to a lesser extent:
Lindqvist
Meskanen
Bigras

There are quite a few young players pushing who may be 6 months to a year away so the guys above really need to show what they have and be given an opportunity (more than 5 games) to see what they have. Guys like:
Lingren
Hajek
Andersson
Chytil
Kravtsov
Rykov
Howden

The bolded I feel will all pushed out with the depth we have over the course of the year, and if not this year then come training camp next year. Lindqvist and Meskanen will get their cup of coffee at some point during the season if they are able to produce well at the AHL level. Training camp in 2019 will absolutely be insane with the amount of young players that will going for a legitimate shot for an opening roster spot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The bolded I feel will all pushed out with the depth we have over the course of the year, and if not this year then come training camp next year. Lindqvist and Meskanen will get their cup of coffee at some point during the season if they are able to produce well at the AHL level. Training camp in 2019 will absolutely be insane with the amount of young players that will going for a shot for an opening roster spot.

I would agree if I had to guess right now, but, for me, this is the season to give a few of those guys some games. I actually liked O'Gara and Nieves last year in their limited time. Give them a shot and see what becomes of it. It's either that or they should have just cut ties this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would agree if I had to guess right now, but, for me, this is the season to give a few of those guys some games. I actually liked O'Gara and Nieves last year in their limited time. Give them a shot and see what becomes of it. It's either that or they should have just cut ties this year.
Agree with all this aside from the "or else should have cut ties" part. I think they're all good depth options in the event the kids aren't ready. And, there's always the change that one of them ends up playing really well and exceeding expectations, in which case we could conceivably get a mid/late pick for them.

Finally, I just think competition is good. If at the end of camp we decide we have no need for Fogarty or O'Gara or someone, then we can move them out. But the initial competition, fighting for a spot, is good. I also think it's good for the kids to know that if they slack off with the big club, they'll get sent right back down and one of these guys will come up.

You are one of the few other people I've heard that also liked O'Gara. I want to see what he can do in a different system. He's no stud, but he looks like a potentially useful guy on the bottom pair. And I've always been a Nieves fan, I think he's the best of the "old prospect" bunch by quite a bit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The bolded I feel will all pushed out with the depth we have over the course of the year, and if not this year then come training camp next year. Lindqvist and Meskanen will get their cup of coffee at some point during the season if they are able to produce well at the AHL level. Training camp in 2019 will absolutely be insane with the amount of young players that will going for a legitimate shot for an opening roster spot.

Not sure about all this. I wouldn't be shocked if any or all of O'Gara, Nieves, Meskanen and Lindqvist start the season with the Rangers.

I have the feeling that the Rangers are higher on all these players than most of the posters here at HF. Meskanen had 24 goals and 44 points in 48 games in Liiga as a 22 year old. Keep in mind that Virta put up 14 goals and 40 points in 58 games as a 20/21 year old. Some age difference--not a lot and Meskanen is bigger and more of a goal scorer. Lindqvist also seems more the shooter type. 20 goals and 34 points in 33 games (or a point per game guy) in the SHL as a 23 year old. Those two have very, very good point production in very tough European leagues. Kovacs and Stromwall didn't really even start playing in the SHL until after the Rangers dropped them. These two guys have been succeeding against better quality competition.

Contrary to what some might think Nieves 28 games with the Rangers wasn't bad at all. He's not going to be an offensive player. He's big, fast and strong and pretty much tailor made to be a very good 4th line NHL player. His 28 games--1 goal--8 assists--9 points--12 pm's--- a +6 23 shots on goal--30 hits--19 blocked shots 97 faceoff wins 122 face off losses. Avg. ice time 10.12. With the exception of the +/- you could pretty much get a picture of where he was at last year as a player by multiplying all those numbers by 3 to get a pro-rated season. The major issue that I can see for him as a future 4th line center is he needs to get better at face-offs.

O'Gara was awful for us for about 6-7 games. After that he kind of settled in---playing a mostly unnoticeable but safe and steady game. He's certainly not an exciting player to watch and he was an Islanders fan growing up. Those are certainly things we can count against him but all in all in the last couple--three weeks he was okay. He's not a favorite of mine but I don't think he's out of the picture at all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not sure about all this. I wouldn't be shocked if any or all of O'Gara, Nieves, Meskanen and Lindqvist start the season with the Rangers.

I have the feeling that the Rangers are higher on all these players than most of the posters here at HF. Meskanen had 24 goals and 44 points in 48 games in Liiga as a 22 year old. Keep in mind that Virta put up 14 goals and 40 points in 58 games as a 20/21 year old. Some age difference--not a lot and Meskanen is bigger and more of a goal scorer. Lindqvist also seems more the shooter type. 20 goals and 34 points in 33 games (or a point per game guy) in the SHL as a 23 year old. Those two have very, very good point production in very tough European leagues. Kovacs and Stromwall didn't really even start playing in the SHL until after the Rangers dropped them. These two guys have been succeeding against better quality competition.

Contrary to what some might think Nieves 28 games with the Rangers wasn't bad at all. He's not going to be an offensive player. He's big, fast and strong and pretty much tailor made to be a very good 4th line NHL player. His 28 games--1 goal--8 assists--9 points--12 pm's--- a +6 23 shots on goal--30 hits--19 blocked shots 97 faceoff wins 122 face off losses. Avg. ice time 10.12. With the exception of the +/- you could pretty much get a picture of where he was at last year as a player by multiplying all those numbers by 3 to get a pro-rated season. The major issue that I can see for him as a future 4th line center is he needs to get better at face-offs.

O'Gara was awful for us for about 6-7 games. After that he kind of settled in---playing a mostly unnoticeable but safe and steady game. He's certainly not an exciting player to watch and he was an Islanders fan growing up. Those are certainly things we can count against him but all in all in the last couple--three weeks he was okay. He's not a favorite of mine but I don't think he's out of the picture at all.
I like all of this as well. Also with Nieves, he has extensive experience playing wing. He was moved there as an experiment his Sophomore season when his offense dipped, and he picked it up. IIRC he played wing most of his Junior season and some portion of his Senior year.

The only caution I have on Meskanen and Lindqvist, and I've repeated it a few times, is that they both really killed it on the PP. Meskanen had, I believe, 9 PP goals last year, and Lindqvist had 10--half of his total. Now being a good PP option is valuable in its own right, but they will both have a lot less time and space to get setup on the PP, if they even win time there. Meskanen is probably more likely to do so as he scored a lot of goals in front, whereas Lindqvist's money spot was the half boards where he'd rip it. So, we'll see how those skills translate to a smaller rink with guys who close faster. Last time I will bring this up. :laugh:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I like all of this as well. Also with Nieves, he has extensive experience playing wing. He was moved there as an experiment his Sophomore season when his offense dipped, and he picked it up. IIRC he played wing most of his Junior season and some portion of his Senior year.

The only caution I have on Meskanen and Lindqvist, and I've repeated it a few times, is that they both really killed it on the PP. Meskanen had, I believe, 9 PP goals last year, and Lindqvist had 10--half of his total. Now being a good PP option is valuable in its own right, but they will both have a lot less time and space to get setup on the PP, if they even win time there. Meskanen is probably more likely to do so as he scored a lot of goals in front, whereas Lindqvist's money spot was the half boards where he'd rip it. So, we'll see how those skills translate to a smaller rink with guys who close faster. Last time I will bring this up. :laugh:

I'm not going to pencil these Scandinavian wingers anywhere near the Rangers roster until we see them perform in the camp. I'm not even sure if both would earn a top6 spot in Hartford.

Reactions: Off Sides

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
The fan ranked 20th prospect of the organization, along with a few not even being voted on yet, have a chance at the NHL this year or next.

I think that's pretty good. Just hoping that there is some top-end talent developing in that top 10... whether it's hopefuls like Chytil and Kravtsov or a couple surprises. Rangers always have lots of "real good" guys but have been starving for the top end to carry them to the next level.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Agree with all this aside from the "or else should have cut ties" part. I think they're all good depth options in the event the kids aren't ready. And, there's always the change that one of them ends up playing really well and exceeding expectations, in which case we could conceivably get a mid/late pick for them.

Finally, I just think competition is good. If at the end of camp we decide we have no need for Fogarty or O'Gara or someone, then we can move them out. But the initial competition, fighting for a spot, is good. I also think it's good for the kids to know that if they slack off with the big club, they'll get sent right back down and one of these guys will come up.

You are one of the few other people I've heard that also liked O'Gara. I want to see what he can do in a different system. He's no stud, but he looks like a potentially useful guy on the bottom pair. And I've always been a Nieves fan, I think he's the best of the "old prospect" bunch by quite a bit.

I am totally fine with competition. My concern is that if none of these guys are on the NHL team to start the year (and as of now, there aren't many spots) then they fill up Hartford with a ton of these veteran guys. It creates a log-jam down there which could potentially block some people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad