Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #17 Prospect

#17 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So by my count we'll have 17 guys making the "Rangers Property" list and a lot of them will be guys with somewhat legitimate chances at one day making the NHL.

These guys I see as real long shots to make the NHL, and I'm cool with them not getting an Honorable Mention:

Bernhardt, Daniel LW/L
Halverson, Brandon G/L
Lakatos, Dominik C/L
Leedahl, Dawson LW/L
Nanne, Tyler D-F/R
Reunanen, Tarmo D/L
Wall, Tyler G/L

Even then, a guy like Leedahl could take a big step forward, as could Reunanen. Wall could put together a decent year and get back into the combination after last year's car wreck. Very deep group. You don't even realize how deep until you look at the numbers.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When Sean Day is already in the rankings and some others are in the poll choices, that’s not a convincing argument when you consider what Huska has done compared to them and what their upsides are.

What has Huska done that is so great? He's had a good season and is progressing nicely but he's still a long-shot to make it to the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What has Huska done that is so great? He's had a good season and is progressing nicely but he's still a long-shot to make it to the NHL.

Most of these players are long shots. I didn’t say he’s doing so great. He had a great first post draft season. The last two seasons he’s done a reasonably good job on a bad team. Two successful WJC’s. I would say he deserves to be in the 10-15 range for the poll.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Most of these players are long shots. I didn’t say he’s doing so great. He had a great first post draft season. The last two seasons he’s done a reasonably good job on a bad team. Two successful WJC’s. I would say he deserves to be in the 10-15 range for the poll.

1. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (66%)
2. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (59%)
3. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (52%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round)
5. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (44%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (47%)
7. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (55%)
8. Neal Pionk (D) (Undrafted) (56%)
9. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (60%)
10. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (41%)
11. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (50%)
12. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round)
13. Ty Ronning (F) (2016 Draft - 7th round) (28%)
14. Vinni Lettieri (F) (Undrafted) (28%)
15. Sean Day (D) (2016 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)

Which if these prospects should be ranked lower than Huska? This prospect pool is so deep, that a kid like Huska is not in the top-15.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He hasn't done anything so great, but he's still a good goaltending prospect. He was the goalie of the year in the USHL, and he's played really well in front of some really bad UConn defenses. And setting aside his numbers, he looked very solid on some awful Slovak WJC teams.

By the same token, what has Day done that is so great? I don't even really see the upside in him at this point. He's a #4 if everything goes right, and I doubt it will. I think he's more than likely a #6/#7. He's a PMD that doesn't score a lot of points and still regularly does dumb shit on defense (or when "leading" the rush). He's come a long way, and I've defended him many times, but he's still pretty "meh," IMO. I think perceptions of him as a prospect are still colored by the "what HUGE upside this guy has if it works out" stuff we all read or knew about him when he was drafted. If things go wrong he can be the first guy ever to spend six seasons in the CHL. LOL.

We'll see. PB is usually out to lunch on pretty much every prospect evaluation but I think he's right, here. These guys are at least in the same ballpark at this point in their development/lack of development.

Which if these prospects should be ranked lower than Huska? This prospect pool is so deep, that a kid like Huska is not in the top-15.

I wouldn't necessarily put him ahead of anyone, other than potentially Day. But he probably belongs up there in the next couple rounds, which he obviously won't.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Ragnarsson, add Keane. I would have ranked both over Ronning and Day, the lstter of whom I think is way overrated because he was, sadly, one of the team’s top prospects when he was drafted two years ago.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
When Sean Day is already in the rankings and some others are in the poll choices, that’s not a convincing argument when you consider what Huska has done compared to them and what their upsides are.

enlighten me, what has Huska done? I'm asking because I am uninformed of any accomplishments he's made in the last two years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
enlighten me, what has Huska done? I'm asking because I am uninformed of any accomplishments he's made in the last two years.
When drafted he just finished a season as the USHL Goaltender of the Year. Then he won the starting job at UConn and played really well behind a pretty bad defense. Did the same last year, though his numbers took a slight hit due to a couple injuries, one of which he initially tried to play through. In between he played very well for an overmatched Slovakia team in two World Junior tournaments. The guy he played ahead of was Matej Tomek, who was the 90th pick by Philly in the same draft.

So, he doesn't have a ton of major accomplishments due in large part to playing for UConn and Slovakia. But he has always played well wherever he has gone, and IMO, has starting potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bolded are players I'd have below Huska. Underlined are players I don't consider prospects.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

He had a great first post draft season. The last two seasons he’s done a reasonably good job on a bad team. Two successful WJC’s.

He was goalie of the year in the USHL right after being drafted. His WJC numbers look bad, but Slovakia gets destroyed every year, so you have to look at the actual performances. Almost everyone who reviewed those performances said he did really well. UConn sucks. It would be easy to play down to the level of the rest of the team, but .916 and .912 are decent, all things considered. He also had an injury last season. I believe it was a wrist injury, which might've accounted for why the SV% was a little lower last season.

He's a big goalie with good positioning. He doesn't give a lot of openings to shooters. He's technically pretty good. He's not the best athlete, but he's at least average in that area. Almost everything anyone says about Huska is positive. He's very unheralded. Not the most talented or the most high profile guy, but you don't hear bad things ever said about him and his play is usually always at least above-average, considering the situation. He's the type who could easily sneak up on people and turn into an NHL goalie.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Huska and definitely think we’re at the stage where he enters into the conversation.

Having said that, he’s also caught in a neighborhood where there are fellow players with longer odds who already play pro either in North America or their respective countries. Couple that with the uncertainty of goaltenders, and his “slipping” is less about him and more about some of the available options.

Even a guy like Georgiev, who did nothing to hurt his cause in both the AHL and NHL, found himself sitting outside the top 10. He very well could have a better NHL career than several guys ahead of him, but factors not all that different than those surrounding Huska have him ranked a little lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad