Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #16 Prospect

#16 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think Virta is a better player then Meskanen. I know Meskanen scored more this past season but Virta has consistently had Amazing underlying numbers and he's much more responsible defensively.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think Virta is a better player then Meskanen. I know Meskanen scored more this past season but Virta has consistently had Amazing underlying numbers and he's much more responsible defensively.

I think Virta has a higher ceiling, but a lot will depend on how he does in the KHL. Meskanen is a little older but he played on a significantly worse team than Virta. I think both are quite close in potential, and it will be a lot clearer a year from now after the AHL/KHL year for these 2.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think Virta has a higher ceiling, but a lot will depend on how he does in the KHL. Meskanen is a little older but he played on a significantly worse team than Virta. I think both are quite close in potential, and it will be a lot clearer a year from now after the AHL/KHL year for these 2.

I don't disagree they're fairly Close. But i still think Virta should be ahead. He's a C while Meskanen is a winger and he's got Amazing underlying numbers consistently for 2 years now while improving his scoring.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nope. Scandinavia is Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. It's part of Fennoscandian Peninsula though.

I've always referred to Finland as Scandinavia along with Norway and Sweden. Denmark not so much.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, Scandinavia is Sweden, Denmark and Norway (though a small part of Finland is part of Scandinavia based on the old maps and stuff)..

Add Finland and Iceland and you have the Nordic countries.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron add Huska

I'm at the point in the list where I think upside matters more and to me Barron has more upside than Meskanen based on the reports from you guys and my viewings of Barron.

Huska is goalie I've been really impressed with even with some his up and down play. UConn has a decent chance to contend for the HEA title this year and I think Huska will turn some heads.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's also neat that we're going to get into the 20's here and still have guys that are legitimate NHL prospects. And even then we don't yet have on the list a guy like Nieves who has played in the NHL and probably will continue to in some capacity, or an O'Gara, Gilmour, etc. In the past there were times we cut this off at 25, then did Honorable Mentions, then "Rangers Property." This list will definitely go to 30, and still have intriguing names, rather than Josh Nicholls or Adam Chapie or whatever.

Stop at 20. Final 5 on list get HM.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The fun thing about this list is how we haven't even gotten to kids like Fontaine, Keane, or Ragnarsson yet. I feel like we were voting on guys like Tommy Hughes at these spots a few years ago.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Ranger's Summer 2018 Prospect Poll

1. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (66%)
2. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (59%)
3. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (52%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round)
5. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (44%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (47%)
7. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (55%)
8. Neal Pionk (D) (Undrafted) (56%)
9. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (60%)
10. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (41%)
11. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (50%)
12. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round)
13. Ty Ronning (F) (2016 Draft - 7th round) (28%)
14. Vinni Lettieri (F) (Undrafted) (28%)
15. Sean Day (D) (2016 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)

cut.jpg

*Anthony DeAngelo played 6 too many NHL games is no longer eligible*
----------------------------------------------​
Added: Lindqvist

Please post who you want added, eligible prospects that can be add:

Bernhardt, Daniel LW/L
Bigras, Chris D/L
Crawley, Brandon D/L
Fogarty, Steven D/L
Fontaine, Gabriel C/L
Gettinger, Tim LW/L
Gilmour, John D/L
Gropp, Ryan LW/L
Gross, Nico D/L
Halverson, Brandon G/L
Hughes, Riley RW/R
Huska, Adam G/L
Keane, Joey D/R
Kjellberg, Simon LW/L
Lakatos, Dominik C/L
Leedahl, Dawson LW/L
Nanne, Tyler D-F/R
Nell, Chris G/L
Nieves, Boo C/L
O'Gara, Rob D/L
Pajuniemi, Lauri RW/R
Pedrie, Vince D/L
Reunanen, Tarmo D/L
Sjalin, Calle D/L
Wall, Tyler G/L
I know it's debatable but wasn't really looking for a debate. I've always been the "Nieves Guy" here. I know my opinion is unpopular.

A couple years ago almost everyone told me he didn't even have a shot at an NHL career because he wasn't productive enough in college. Wrong. Teams love the size-speed combo. If you have that, you'll get a chance and probably a second and a third. I see him sticking around for a while, whether or not it's with us.

Anyway, the point of my post doesn't change even if you change "probably will continue to" into "has some degree of chance to".

How the heck are Ragnarsson and Barron on this list but Gropp and Fontaine aren't who played against men last year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Stop at 20. Final 5 on list get HM.
IDK. The list we have right now takes us to 21. Say we add Huska and it's 22. I think there are a lot more than 3 guys that deserve Honorable Mention status as they're still real prospects. And then "Rangers Property" would also include real prospects when it normally just has a bunch of ECHL guys that are irrelevant. I think you need to go to 25.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bigras
Fontaine
Gilmour
Nieves
Gettinger
Gropp (I know, one more year)
O'Gara
Pajuniemi
Sjalin

I feel like those guys at least deserve a shot at getting votes. There are some other debatable ones like Hughes, Keane, maybe Gross and Crawley.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
How the heck are Ragnarsson and Barron on this list but Gropp and Fontaine aren't who played against men last year.

Ragnarsson did play against men last year. The league he played in is just as tough to score in as the AHL and he scored at basically the same rate as Gropp and Fontaine despite being 3 years younger and playing defense.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ragnarsson did play against men last year. The league he played in is just as tough to score in as the AHL and he scored at basically the same rate as Gropp and Fontaine despite being 3 years younger and playing defense.
Yes, he played all year, save one game, in Allsvenskan. I think some here still don't fully understand promotion/relegation and the different tiers to hockey in most of Europe. Allsvenskan isn't a minor league or anything like that, it's the second-tier and teams there compete to move up into the SHL (and SHL teams can drop to Allsvenskan).

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'd like to see what Nieves can do playing on the wing without the responsibilities of center.

I just want to see him play at this point. He got some consistent games and then never came back last season, even when we were done. The numbers game at center might catch up to him, but to begin the season there is zero reason he isn't the 4C. Let Howden play 1C in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad