Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #11 Prospect

#11 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Greatest thing about this list so far is the depth and diversity. 3C's, 1W, 5D, 1G. I feel like #10 on the list has as good a shot at making the NHL roster this season as #5.

Now we're onto 11-20 and I'm still seeing multiple guys, some that aren't even being voted on yet, that have the potential to make the team in the next 2 seasons in various roles.

I went with Georgiev here because I think he's ready to go for a backup role. But I also think Vinni, Nieves and Ronning and Fontaine can be bottom 6 guys this year while Meskanen, Lindqvist might surprise with their Pro experience. Rykov on the defensive side could easily get my vote here.

It's f***ing awesome.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huska has dropped right off people's charts, eh?

Tough to accurately rank guys like Keane, Ragnarsson, and Pajuniemi when 99% of us know nothing about them.
Definitely still like Huska. I'll be adding him soon. He's one of the guys I'd have up there before Ronning.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Missed the last couple; gotta admit I'm a little surprised that Lindgren beat out Rykov and Georgiev.

Georgiev, add Meskanen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Genuinely curious: other than simple statistical production from last season (which we could dive deeper into, but forget that for a moment), what is causing people to add Meskanen rather than Virta? Not being confrontational, I really want to know.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Genuinely curious: other than simple statistical production from last season (which we could dive deeper into, but forget that for a moment), what is causing people to add Meskanen rather than Virta? Not being confrontational, I really want to know.

For me, I'm taking Meskanen's potential role into consideration.

Not that I think the gap between them is massive anyway, but I think that being a little bigger and more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, Meskanen will be afforded more of an opportunity to succeed for us. Virta, on the other hand, will probably have to prove his worth in spades (a'la Zucc).

In a complete vacuum, I would give the edge to Virta, so I'm definitely being guilty of digging a little deeper to select the one that I think has a better chance of making a pro impact for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers in 7

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
After watching Prince Alexander last spring, I have no idea how he can be rated this low.

Add Lindqvist
The only reason I've held off on Georgiev is that when we signed him, no one really knew anything or had anything to say about him, and then he was only good for half a season. I really like what I saw from him, but keeping it in perspective, what I saw from him was 47 games--of which half weren't very good. So, I'd like to see him repeat his effectiveness this year before I really buy into him.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Just voted Day. His upside is greater than any of those prospects. 6'3" 240# defenseman that can skate like the wind. Just hope he develops Hockey Sense

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'll have him somewhere just outside that, I would think. Nondescript player for four years then explodes for 60+ as an over-ager. I love his motor and his ability to find space and get off shots, but he's still a real long shot IMO. We'll see when we get to him, but IDK. Lettieri is another one that's up there that I won't be considering until we get to the Nieves, Gilmour, O'Gara range of guys.

Interesting that you mentioned these names because from add perspective we need to shift the scale where existing higher level experience carries more value than projected “realistic” ceiling.

I think Gilmour (and O’Gara) earned a placement before three Scandinavian forwards in Virta, Lindqvist or Meskanen.

So Georgiev, add Gilmour.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Will not really help here - there are not many votes outside of given these two. Just need to let play it out a bit longer.
Yeah, good point. 45-45 right now and only 4 votes for anyone else. Still though, gotta do a tie-break--some people won't vote a second time, some people will vote that didn't vote the first time, etc. Though I do recall in the past having a tiebreaker end in a tie!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad