Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #7

Who is our #7 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Ryan Graves won round 6. C Morgan Barron is added to the poll.

WHO IS A PROSPECT:

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here.

Please vote on who to add to the next round of polling.

Ryan Graves
Defense -- shoots L
Born May 21 1995 --Yarmouth, NS
[22 yrs. ago]
Height 6'5 -- Weight 226

2017-18Hartford Wolf PackAHL37GP358
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TOP PROSPECTS

1. G Igor Shesterkin
2. C Lias Andersson
3. C Filip Chytil

SECOND TIER

4. D Anthony DeAngelo
5. RW Vinni Lettieri
6. D Ryan Graves

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

G Brandon Halverson
G Chris Nell
G Tyler Wall

DEFENSEMEN

D Alexei Bereglazov
D Brandon Crawley
D Calle Sjalin
D John Gilmour
D Sergey Zborovskiy
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie

FORWARDS

C Adam Tambellini
RW Daniel Bernhardt
LW Dawson Leedahl
C Dominik Lakatos
C Gabriel Fontaine
RW Nicklas Jensen
C Patrik Virta
LW Ryan Gropp
C Steven Fogarty
LW Tim Gettinger
RW Tyler Nanne

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Mod: Please change LA to LW and Critical to Cristoval. Auto-correct on my phone.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Nieves because he's in the NHL.

Add Vista because he's doing well in Finland.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Barron over Nieves for me. Barron's producing at basically the same rate in the NCAA as an 18 year old that Nieves did as a 21 year old. Obviously, Nieves is already in the NHL and has a high floor, but he scored less than half a point per game in the AHL and has a pretty low ceiling too. Personally, I prefer the guy with a better chance of developing into a top 9 player, even if he comes with more risk.

Add Sjalin.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
What's the reason to add Uncle Joe? He's playing in Swedish minors, going nothing special there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Allsvenskan isn't really the minors.

It's the second tier league in Sweden. As we have seen with Kovacs and Stromwall, even Allsvenskan stars have a hard time transitioning to the AHL. This is true not just for those two, they are just the 2 most recognizable Allsvenskan names to the people of this forum. But it is a consistent thing because Allsvenskan is simply not very good. There are a few Swedish patriots on HF (here and on the forums for other teams), so the league gets attention. But look at how their players transition to the NHL, the AHL and the KHL. You have to be a pretty elite Allsvenskan player just to move to the AHL.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Went Boo, add Pionk.

What I'll add about Sjalin is that we need to remember just how much of a damn rock he was at the U18s. Kid plays a very strong defensive game.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It's the second tier league in Sweden. As we have seen with Kovacs and Stromwall, even Allsvenskan stars have a hard time transitioning to the AHL. This is true not just for those two, they are just the 2 most recognizable Allsvenskan names to the people of this forum. But it is a consistent thing because Allsvenskan is simply not very good. There are a few Swedish patriots on HF (here and on the forums for other teams), so the league gets attention. But look at how their players transition to the NHL, the AHL and the KHL. You have to be a pretty elite Allsvenskan player just to move to the AHL.

There are recent Allsvenskan players who transition well into the NHL, let alone the AHL... Let's not use two players failing on an atrocious Hartford team as facts... Jesper Bratt came from Allsvenskan and is doing very well in the NHL this season for example, Allsvenskan is a very good league. You are severely underrating Allsvenskan as you always do.

With that said, i wouldn't add Själin just yet even though i'm a big fan of him..

Pionk here, add the KHL all star Bereglazov.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

You're basically proving my point. 2nd tier is not the same as minors. It doesn't work that way in Europe.

If a player is on a team that was relegated to Allsvenskan, he plays in the 2nd tier but there is no way out in most cases. Look at Filip Forsberg, who was developing as a prospect for Leksands. Is it his fault the senior team is in the Allsvenskan?

That's my point with European leagues not really being major and minor leagues. Basing a players's potential on him playing for a team in Allsvenskan is ignorant.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why are the prospects divided how Beacon thinks they should be divided? I don't remember voting on which prospects go in what tiers. Get rid of the Tiers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
You're basically proving my point. 2nd tier is not the same as minors. It doesn't work that way in Europe.

If a player is on a team that was relegated to Allsvenskan, he plays in the 2nd tier but there is no way out in most cases.

This is true in a vacuum, but there are explanations for this. For one, some players are loaned up to the SHL. If they are not, they tend to dominate the Allsvenskan. When Redden was sent to Hartford due to cap rules, not because he was a minor leaguer, he looked like a superstar there. Likewise when players get sent to the Juniors to avoid wasting an ELC year when they are only borderline-NHLers, they do really well there. Or think Stepan in the WJC when he should've been in the NHL - he looked like a man among boys. Or Shesterkin going to the VHL when he was good enough to be in the KHL, but stacked behind an NHL-quality team - 1.19 GAA and .954 SV%.

If an SHL-quality player goes down to Allsvenskan, he should look amazing. Not only do most of his opposition deserve to be in the second tier, some were recently promoted from the third tier Hockeyettan.

But I agree that calling Allsvenskan a minor league is technically wrong in the American sense. That said, you know exactly what I meant so not sure the need to be anal by picking apart every world as if it a random forum posy prepared with the same amount of thought as a national Constitution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad