Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #7

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ryan Gropp won round 6. C Cristoval Nieves is added to the poll.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

* Please don't write that so-and-so should or should not be a prospect. It's not up to each individual here to decide, it's up to the HF rules. Every poll we have people who think they get to decide the rules. If you don't like the rules, go to another web site because here we use HF rules.

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Brady Skjei
3. C Oscar Lindberg
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. G Igor Shesterkin

SECOND TIER

6. C Ryan Gropp

ryan-gropp12-e1434136428760.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Bodie, Mat
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hellberg, Magnus
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Lindblad, Matt
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Morrison, Brad
Nanne, Tyler
Nejzechleb, Richard
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Saarela, Alesky
St. Croix, Michael
Zamorsky, Petr
Zborovskiy, Sergey

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Skapski. Small NHL sample, but what a sample it was! Very good in the AHL too. Add Zborovskiy for his size and mobility.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Halvy

I think he's right behind Shestyorkin in both skill and our prospect chart.

Add Saarela

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Went with Graves, pool to add from at this point is basically a whose who of whatever.

Add Hellberg. He'll be Hank's backup next year imo.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
pool to add from at this point is basically a whose who of whatever. .

IDK, recent midround picks are still quality prospects and a bunch of others have a reasonable shot at the NHL: Hellberg, Ryan, Hrivik, Mantha, Zamorsky, etc. Normally I ranked players to the last prospect, but we won't do it this year because there's a lot of busts who are still technically a prospect because they are under contract, but I don't see them playing in the NHL (e.g., Nicholls).

We have 36 eligible prospects: the last 6 will be listed as merely Rangers property and the 5 below that as Honorable Mentions. Only the top 25 will get ranked. We'll have a good deal of turnover next year as 8-12 prospects graduate or won't get new contracts, and they will be replaced by ~7 draftees, so next year we'll go back to ranking all the kids to the end, with the final 5 being Honorable Mentions listed in the order at which they made it into the poll.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
IDK, recent midround picks are still quality prospects and a bunch of others have a reasonable shot at the NHL: Hellberg, Ryan, Hrivik, Mantha, Zamorsky, etc. Normally I ranked players to the last prospect, but we won't do it this year because there's a lot of busts who are still technically a prospect because they are under contract, but I don't see them playing in the NHL (e.g., Nicholls).

Totally understand why. Out of the top 4 so far, 2 will be in the NHL, top 2 present upside. Then you have some upside in Shesteroykin and Gropp, and probably a back up goaltender next year.

After that its all question marks and projects. Don't get me wrong, I like the Rangers philosophy of letting them cook, its much closer to the old Detroit model, which will only contribute to winning.

And Having 7 in the farm that will contribute in 3 years is always a good thing (with 2 this year, probably 2 more next year). Most organizations don't have more than 4-5 guys that can realistically step in at a given time, but once you get past the 7 its slim pickings.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Totally understand why. Out of the top 4 so far, 2 will be in the NHL, top 2 present upside. Then you have some upside in Shesteroykin and Gropp, and probably a back up goaltender next year.

After that its all question marks and projects. Don't get me wrong, I like the Rangers philosophy of letting them cook, its much closer to the old Detroit model, which will only contribute to winning.

And Having 7 in the farm that will contribute in 3 years is always a good thing (with 2 this year, probably 2 more next year). Most organizations don't have more than 4-5 guys that can realistically step in at a given time, but once you get past the 7 its slim pickings.

I remember we were voting and were amazed at the quality of our prospects when we already reached ~#13. I think Sauer was around 13 at the time 5-6 years ago.

A rebuilt is coming in a few years.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I remember we were voting and were amazed at the quality of our prospects when we already reached ~#13. I think Sauer was around 13 at the time 5-6 years ago.

A rebuilt is coming in a few years.

Yeah a few years away, it will be interesting to see if they can stay contenders after this off season, by my estimation, the window will close after this year, and they may need another year or two to work over the cap.

Boston is the team to glean lessons from as to what not to do, while CHI is the one to follow.

Either way, that period of 5-6 years ago was due to the Rangers just stockpiling picks in 04-05, and getting hits throughout after.

I believe they'll start doing that this upcoming off season, not rebuilding, but recouping if possible.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah a few years away, it will be interesting to see if they can stay contenders after this off season, by my estimation, the window will close after this year, and they may need another year or two to work over the cap.

Boston is the team to glean lessons from as to what not to do, while CHI is the one to follow.

Either way, that period of 5-6 years ago was due to the Rangers just stockpiling picks in 04-05, and getting hits throughout after.

I believe they'll start doing that this upcoming off season, not rebuilding, but recouping if possible.

Quite possibly. Wont be a rebuild, more of a re-tool. I can see us dropping off but still being a playoff team.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Hard for me to judge, as I haven't really seen Halverson play. I was very close to voting for Skapski. He's done well in Hartford and looked pretty good against Buffalo even though it was against Buffalo. Inspiring story behind him, too. He'll be my next vote.

Still, I ended up going with Graves. For our future, I think he's an important prospect as our D is slowly aging, and I think he'll be a nice piece. I haven't exactly been quiet with my praise/hopes for him.

That said, we have nice goalie prospects in Halverson, Shesty, Hellberg, and Skapski. I don't know much about Huska aside from his stat line, but I'm assuming Allaire is seeing something he can work with.

Add Hellberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad