Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #4

SupersonicMonkey*

Leslie had Nieves ranked directly behind St. Croix. I have him directly ahead of St. Croix. You think it's a stretch?

I agree.

I vote for the player playing in a young-adult league over the player playing in a teenager league.

SupersonicMonkey*

Again, Skjei will end up being the better player, IMO.

But based on where they are in their development, McIlrath.

Add Nieves.

Before some get their panties in a bunch, that isn't an indictment on McIlrath. He's fine. He has #3-#4 upside.

Skjei, on the other hand, has McDonagh-like upside. #1-#2 upside.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thought this one was not so obvious.

I'm hoping to see McIlrath asap once he's even close to ready.
However, of the ones mentioned, even though I like Lindberg, coming on like gangbusters, I think Jesper Fast is the one who wins a roster spot here next year.

St. Croix, Nieves are good to add.
Pls add Yogan to the list, I expect he breaks at least the top 12, tough I may be forgetting people...

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
McIlrath.

Add Nieves... nice production for a freshman. I liked St. Croix last year, but he isn't having as good a season in juniors this year, which is not a good sign. For a player like him, it usually means he's hit his plateau.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Leslie had Nieves ranked directly behind St. Croix. I have him directly ahead of St. Croix. You think it's a stretch?

Just not as high on Nieves as others on the board, apparently. I think St. Croix has a much higher offensive upside.

I like Boo's size and hockey sense though. Looking forward to seeing him against some tougher competition next year, as he should be looked at for the WJC team.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Far and away winner here is McIlrath. All of the other guys have potential but too many question marks for them.

Add St. Croix

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Easy choice here in McIlrath. Add Nieves
The next poll is going to be tough. With either Hrivik, Lindberg, or Fasth making No.5.
IMO I'm not picking Skjei anytime soon.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The next poll is going to be tough. With either Hrivik, Lindberg, or Fasth making No.5.
IMO I'm not picking Skjei anytime soon.

I agree. A two-way first liner in either the AHL or the SEL who's still very young and developing has clearly a better chance to become an NHLer than a #28 pick. Sure, the words "first round pick" sound good, but a guy drafted at #28 has about a 25% chance of making in the NHL in any capacity, even as a "black ace." He has about a 10% chance of becoming an average or better NHLer. So yeah... no Skjei any time soon. I want him to establish why he's better than your average #28 pick (who on average winds up as a minor leaguer).

Hrivik, Lindberg and Fast have both a better shot to make the NHL and a higher ceiling. All 3 are superior prospects at this point. Hopefully Skjei can catch up with great play.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Hrivik, Lindberg and Fast have both a better shot to make the NHL and a higher ceiling. All 3 are superior prospects at this point. Hopefully Skjei can catch up with great play.

Where do you get that from? Skjei's ceiling is at least that of a #3 defenseman. I've yet to see anyone assert Hrivik, Lindberg, and Fast project to top out higher than the second line. Their ceilings are all more or less equal. The forwards have an edge in development time on Skjei, but that has nothing to do with how high they might top out.

I agree. A two-way first liner in either the AHL or the SEL who's still very young and developing has clearly a better chance to become an NHLer than a #28 pick. Sure, the words "first round pick" sound good, but a guy drafted at #28 has about a 25% chance of making in the NHL in any capacity, even as a "black ace." He has about a 10% chance of becoming an average or better NHLer. So yeah... no Skjei any time soon. I want him to establish why he's better than your average #28 pick (who on average winds up as a minor leaguer).

You're comparing Fast, Lindberg, and Hrivik to a generic 28th overall pick rather than Brady Skjei. Those percentages are only really useful for telling you the relative value of an unused pick. It's true Skjei doesn't have as much of a track record as those three prospects, but that doesn't say anything about his actual chances of making it. If it had been a much thinner draft and he'd gone in the top 10 or a much stronger one and he'd gone in the middle of the second round, he'd still be exactly the same prospect. By all means, give the forwards the edge because they've developed more. But don't use draft slot to make a case against Skjei's NHL future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad