Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #3

SupersonicMonkey*

Personally feel Skjei will be a better player than both Miller and McIlrath.

That said, right now, Miller, then McIlrath, then Skjei, based on where they are in their development.

Then Fast, Lindberg, and Nieves.

Still not sold Thomas will able to play against NHLers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Personally feel Skjei will be a better player than both Miller and McIlrath.

That said, right now, Miller, then McIlrath, then Skjei, based on where they are in their development.

Then Fast, Lindberg, and Nieves.

Still not sold Thomas will able to play against NHLers.

Why not? He has looked pretty good in the AHL. He is adding weight. His shot is dynamite.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
At the end of the day the organization didn't have the same thought process. Perhaps they were afraid of using a high pick on a Russian player? I really can't say for sure. I was definitely surprised when McIlrath was called...particularly over Tarasenko and Fowler. But I haven't let that bother me in quite a while as what's done is done. You should try and move on as well.

I know he was taken later but they didn't have that bias with Cherepanov.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is a terribly unfair argument. No team can draft the guy who years later turns out to be the best player of all those available. Imagine if your boss held you to this standard: if someone ever does a better job than you, then you are a miserable failure and he will never forgive you.

And I don't want to hear from people who say that you wanted Tarasenko from the start. People tend to imagine things that didn't actually happen or Tarasenko was merely one of a several players you mentioned. I don't even care if you were actually right about Tarasenko. You were wrong the other 95% of the time. Where are all the players who whined about us drafting Stepan instead of Jared Staal or Kirill Petrov?

Since 2004, our scouting staff did a better job than any other team's when taking the draft position into account. While not every pick will become a Hall of Famer, overall the record is phenomenal and all the whining that they didn't choose the best player every time is preposterous.

If at my job, there was a conventional way to do my job and an unconventional way, and I did it the unconventional way and screwed up, I'd probably be in trouble. Conventional wisdom says at #10 when your team has little top end forward talent and are bursting at the seems with good D-men, you go with the forward with high end talent, over a guy that might be a top 4 guy some day. Really, crease clearing were nice in the dead puck era. But let's say he becomes a decent player. What's his ceiling? Will he ever be better than McDonagh, Staal, or Girardi? He's a top 4 guy at best. Everyone except the Rangers thought Teresenko was the much better prospect.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know he was taken later but they didn't have that bias with Cherepanov.

Different circumstances and every player is different. They may have spoken with Cheraponov and had scouts talk to his family and everything. They may have been close to 100% sure he was coming over. He was also taken @ #17, not #10.

They may not have gotten the "warm and fuzzy" feeling from Tarasenko. It happens. I'm happy with McIlrath.

It's like complaining the Rangers took MDZ instead of Eberle. There will almost always be better picks after the pick the Rangers make. The main thing they have to avoid is making the WORST picks.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Miller - Because Phil Housley called him one of the leaders on team USA this morning.

Add Lindberge - Because he's 31pts in 37games in the SEL playing against solid competition. He's solid two way and He'll be playing as one of NY's bottom pair Pivots next year. Oh yeah, because he's Swedish!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If at my job, there was a conventional way to do my job and an unconventional way, and I did it the unconventional way and screwed up, I'd probably be in trouble. Conventional wisdom says at #10 when your team has little top end forward talent and are bursting at the seems with good D-men, you go with the forward with high end talent, over a guy that might be a top 4 guy some day. Really, crease clearing were nice in the dead puck era. But let's say he becomes a decent player. What's his ceiling? Will he ever be better than McDonagh, Staal, or Girardi? He's a top 4 guy at best. Everyone except the Rangers thought Teresenko was the much better prospect.

And that is why McIlrath was taken at #10, knowing Dallas at #11 wanted him and Edmonton was looking to trade up to 12 to take him if he was available. How about the other 5 teams that passed on him? Or St Louis who didn't even use their first 1st rounder that year on him? C'mon man, you are grasping at straws here. You are using 100% hindsight.

There were serious questions about whether he was going to come over. He came over. It happens. Kuznetsov is another perfect example. Washington took him @ 26. His skills translated to him normally being a higher pick. Now there is serious concerns over whether or not he will EVER come over. And that is with Ovechkin already being entrenched on the team he would be playing for!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Different circumstances and every player is different. They may have spoken with Cheraponov and had scouts talk to his family and everything. They may have been close to 100% sure he was coming over. He was also taken @ #17, not #10.

They may not have gotten the "warm and fuzzy" feeling from Tarasenko. It happens. I'm happy with McIlrath.

It's like complaining the Rangers took MDZ instead of Eberle. There will almost always be better picks after the pick the Rangers make. The main thing they have to avoid is making the WORST picks.

The thing about MDZ is that he's already a good player and I think he still has room to improve. He could probably become a #2 quality D-man. I don't see McIlrath better than a #4, do you?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Don't pick like 99 and 03 and we're good. Meh, 02 was pretty sucky too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And that is why McIlrath was taken at #10, knowing Dallas at #11 wanted him and Edmonton was looking to trade up to 12 to take him if he was available. How about the other 5 teams that passed on him? Or St Louis who didn't even use their first 1st rounder that year on him? C'mon man, you are grasping at straws here. You are using 100% hindsight.

There were serious questions about whether he was going to come over. He came over. It happens. Kuznetsov is another perfect example. Washington took him @ 26. His skills translated to him normally being a higher pick. Now there is serious concerns over whether or not he will EVER come over. And that is with Ovechkin already being entrenched on the team he would be playing for!

I would rather us take a Taresenko and have him not come over than a McIlrath and him become some goon that can't play. Both worst case scenarios. At least I'd feel like the Rangers swung for the fences. I was proud that they went for Cherepanov (RIP) instead of some guy with decent upside that was coming over for sure.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing about MDZ is that he's already a good player and I think he still has room to improve. He could probably become a #2 quality D-man. I don't see McIlrath better than a #4, do you?

I see him becoming a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Whether you label that as a #3 or #4 is up to you. He brings a toughness and intimidation factor that is VERY difficult to find in the new NHL. Players who can skate and play the game like he can at his size are almost, if not more difficult to find than a 30 goal scorer.

To put it in perspective, I see McIlrath becoming a better version of Douglas Murray in pretty much every facet of the game. Murray was a top pairing defenseman on a perennial playoff team.

IMO the Rangers have a monster on the way. I am very high on McIlrath and I understand if people aren't as high on him as I am.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would rather us take a Taresenko and have him not come over than a McIlrath and him become some goon that can't play. Both worst case scenarios. At least I'd feel like the Rangers swung for the fences. I was proud that they went for Cherepanov (RIP) instead of some guy with decent upside that was coming over for sure.

But you don't know the entire story with either of those players. They most likely had information saying Cheraponov was going to come over and prior to the draft, Cheraponov was considered a legitimate top-5 talent. They drafted him @ 17! That seems to be about where teams are willing to stretch to take a Russian who may not come over. The Rangers used #17, STL used #16.

I think McIlrath has higher upside than you are giving him credit for. He is playing top-pairing in his first season in the AHL and covering for Gilroy after missing ~30 games and most of the summer with a freak injury. Does that sound like a player many people should be sour on?

I just don't get the McIlrath hate.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I see him becoming a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Whether you label that as a #3 or #4 is up to you. He brings a toughness and intimidation factor that is VERY difficult to find in the new NHL. Players who can skate and play the game like he can at his size are almost, if not more difficult to find than a 30 goal scorer.

To put it in perspective, I see McIlrath becoming a better version of Douglas Murray in pretty much every facet of the game. Murray was a top pairing defenseman on a perennial playoff team.

IMO the Rangers have a monster on the way. I am very high on McIlrath and I understand if people aren't as high on him as I am.

Yeah but with Rangers having a lot of young D-men (Girardi isn't THAT young but with his game he should be able to play a while) and Richards and Gaborik and 30 and over. A 30 goal scorer is more valuable for the Rangers. You don't need a monster crease clearing D-man when you have guys that can skate and play defense well. This isn't the dead puck era when a Hatcher was invaluable. Give me a Staal and McDonagh 100 times out of 100.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Miller
is pushing for a slot, and I go on record he will push Stepan as Miller has better speed and complements Hagelin, Kreider, Callahan.

Current remaining list good.
Add Oscar Lindberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->