Rangers Prospect Poll: #22 Prospect (TIE BREAKER)

#22 Prospect (TIE BREAKER)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm actually a little surprised Lindbom faired this well.

Not that he isn't an intriguing prospect, I just didn't think he'd finish ahead of Keane.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Nieves again. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Nieves has real value to me. 4th liners with wheels and size are the direction the league has been heading in. Maybe he only turns out to be a Dan Paille clone, but he was a valuable player during his prime years. Those types get overpaid in FA.

Nieves has 29 games under his belt. Lindbom is very unlikely to ever get even that many. Nieves deserves to be ranked already this far down the list. The fact that he's a known quantity has hurt him in these polls.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't understand how Joey Keane is gonna be ranked so low after being the most improved dman in the OHL lol
I think the fact that he was an overage player in the draft has hurt his value a bit in the rankings. He is another likely candidate that could shoot up in the Winter rankings though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This should be Nieves so easily.

I think at this point there are two primary approaches on Nieves:

Nieves has a good shot as a fourth line center,

Or

he is probably more of journeyman AHL player.

There’s very little room for debate or varying projection though, unlike some of the other names.

But if you lean toward the latter, then you almost don’t even really view him as a prospect at this point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nieves again. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Nieves has real value to me. 4th liners with wheels and size are the direction the league has been heading in. Maybe he only turns out to be a Dan Paille clone, but he was a valuable player during his prime years. Those types get overpaid in FA.

Nieves has 29 games under his belt. Lindbom is very unlikely to ever get even that many. Nieves deserves to be ranked already this far down the list. The fact that he's a known quantity has hurt him in these polls.

Eh, you could also make the counter-argument that both Keane and Lindbom are better prospects at their respective positions at the same age/stage of development, and have been recognized as such by either the teams for which they were selected, or the award nominations they’ve received.

Likewise, you have some people who really don’t think Nieves is a long-term option as an NHL fourth liner. Maybe a stop-gap, but at 24 also more closely resembling a journeyman AHL player.

Reactions: Matt4776

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think at this point there are two primary approaches on Nieves:

Nieves has a good shot as a fourth line center,

Or

he is probably more of journeyman AHL player.

There’s very little room for debate or varying projection though, unlike some of the other names.

But if you lean toward the latter, then you almost don’t even really view him as a prospect at this point.
Nieves is more likely to play 50 NHL games than a few guys above him, especially Lindbom. :dunno:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nieves is more likely to play 50 NHL games than a few guys above him, especially Lindbom. :dunno:

I don't know if I take that as a given.

I'm legitimately unsure if Nieves is a permanent NHL player.

I also don't know if I assume Lindbom won't play in the NHL. What we have seen thus far is what he's shown after being chosen to be a part of several national teams --- including the WJC squad where he stood out.

It's not exactly as if he came out of nowhere, even if he was not what we were expecting in the second round.

So really it comes down to a 24 year old kid who maybe projects as a fourth line center and hasn't really looked to be anything special since being drafted, vs. a kid who just turned 18 and has stood in some situations against his peers. Basically, the value of knowing what you have, even if it isn't much, versus the intrigue of not quite knowing what you have, but seeing it could be a bit more.

Reactions: Matt4776 and pblawr

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I don't know if I take that as a given.

I'm legitimately unsure if Nieves is a permanent NHL player.

I also don't know if I assume Lindbom won't play in the NHL. What we have seen thus far is what he's shown after being chosen to be a part of several national teams --- including the WJC squad where he stood out.

It's not exactly as if he came out of nowhere, even if he was not what we were expecting in the second round.

So really it comes down to a 24 year old kid who maybe projects as a fourth line center and hasn't really looked to be anything special since being drafted, vs. a kid who just turned 18 and has stood in some situations against his peers. Basically, the value of knowing what you have, even if it isn't much, versus the intrigue of not quite knowing what you have, but seeing it could be a bit more.
But the overall list is a bit silly from 16-22 though. You have Nieves who is 24 and has NHL games and decent 4th line production through 28 games. He's got near ideal modern 4th line skill set with some consistency /concussion issues. Then you have complete unknowns in North America, about to turn 23 or 24 Meskanen, Lindqust, undersized wingers who can shoot but can they do anything else on the smaller rink? Silimar to Lettier and his upside is what exactly? Virta too who's 23 and a complete unknown. What are these guys upside? 4th line, maybe at best 3rd line?

Speaking of goalies, how the hell is Lindbom ahead of Huska and Wall. I get that Wall had a terrible season and Huska was just ok but these guys are 3-4 years ahead of Lindbom in development, have had impressive seasons in the past few, have NHL size etc. Halverson and Lafluer were also 2nd round picks, just saying. Linblom doesn't belong in top 25, not a knock against him, he's just a super young goalie and hasn't done anything impressive to date. He has time to get on future lists while a few guys including Nieves surely graduate soon.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Was a student at Michigan at the exact times Boo was a student at Michigan. Had hockey season tickets.

Had a pretty okay first year. Showed flashes. Not enough to make me pleased with a second round pick, but definitely showed promise. Didn't show anything more the following three years. Haven't seen anything past college that shows he'll even be a fourth line mainstay in the NHL at age 24.

Voted Lindbom.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
But the overall list is a bit silly from 16-22 though. You have Nieves who is 24 and has NHL games and decent 4th line production through 28 games. He's got near ideal modern 4th line skill set with some consistency /concussion issues. Then you have complete unknowns in North America, about to turn 23 or 24 Meskanen, Lindqust, undersized wingers who can shoot but can they do anything else on the smaller rink? Silimar to Lettier and his upside is what exactly? Virta too who's 23 and a complete unknown. What are these guys upside? 4th line, maybe at best 3rd line?

Speaking of goalies, how the hell is Lindbom ahead of Huska and Wall. I get that Wall had a terrible season and Huska was just ok but these guys are 3-4 years ahead of Lindbom in development, have had impressive seasons in the past few, have NHL size etc. Halverson and Lafluer were also 2nd round picks, just saying. Linblom doesn't belong in top 25, not a knock against him, he's just a super young goalie and hasn't done anything impressive to date. He has time to get on future lists while a few guys including Nieves surely graduate soon.

Maybe, or maybe a Zuccerello? Nobody really knows, but a lot do know about Boo and some are meh on him and don't even see his upside as a 4th liner.

Reactions: Matt4776

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad