Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #17

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
RW Richard Nejezchleb won a tie-breaker in round 16. RW Daniel Bernhardt is added to the poll.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

* Please don't write that so-and-so should or should not be a prospect. It's not up to each individual here to decide, it's up to the HF rules. Every poll we have people who think they get to decide the rules. If you don't like the rules, go to another web site because here we use HF rules.

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Brady Skjei
3. C Oscar Lindberg
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. G Igor Shesterkin

SECOND TIER

6. C Ryan Gropp
7. G Brandon Halverson
8. G Mackenzie Skapski
9. C Adam Tambellini
10. D Ryan Graves
11. RW Robin Kovacs
12. G Magnus Hellberg
13. C Cristoval Nieves
14. C Aleksi Saarela
15. D Petr Zamorsky

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

16. RW Richard Nejezchleb

image015-e1416350982632.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Bodie, Mat
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Lindblad, Matt
McCarthy, Chris
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted Mantha. Add Bourque. There's no way he shouldn't be up there now. At this rate, he's at risk of not being ranked at all, which is ridiculous considering he has been called up last season and likely will get called up again this season.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Zborovskiy was taken ahead of Saarela and only a few picks behind Kovacs. Way ahead of Morrison. What's changed since June?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Zborovskiy was taken ahead of Saarela and only a few picks behind Kovacs. Way ahead of Morrison. What's changed since June?

People like either flashy prospects who are high-risk, high-return or safe prospects who are close to the NHL. Medium-risk, medium-return prospects aren't sexy enough for NYRHF.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Hrivik. The guy could step into a 4th line role right now and not look out of place. As a team that has Tanner Glass taking up cap room, and historically overpays 4th liners, Hrivik definitely has value.

Add Fogarty. Despite his age, he's still improved each season at ND. And, at 6'3", 212lbs, he already has a NHL frame.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So Brad Morrison gets drafted 34 picks - over a full round - behind Zborovskiy, then gets 0 points in the first 3 games, and rockets ahead of Zborovskiy. What's the logic here? Jeez...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So Brad Morrison gets drafted 34 picks - over a full round - behind Zborovskiy, then gets 0 points in the first 3 games, and rockets ahead of Zborovskiy. What's the logic here? Jeez...

Again, it's the perceived upside. Three games are completely irrelevant and should neither help nor hurt a player's stock.

Very few people are enamored with Zborovskiy. If you're not a fan of a player then you're not going to care that he was picked in the fourth round as opposed to the fifth or whatever.

If we're just going to defer to the draft position of these C- and D-level prospects why even bother voting?

I don't agree with putting Morrison here, either, but I understand why people are doing. I also understand why people aren't voting for Zborovskiy.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Vote for Andersson. Did decently in Sweden and making the transition now. Could be a project, but could do well, too. Add Bourque--no question.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW there was a lot of buzz about Morrision as an excellent 4th-5th round sleeper pick. He rose in the draft a lot--the biggest concerns about him being strength and weight. The thinking is if he can get his weight up to 185-190 he could be a real player--he's a great skater, very good creativity and very competitive and not afraid to go into combat areas. He needs to develop and he needs to grow. He's also related to an NHL player (I forget who) and he's been training with NHL players (including his relative) at least the last couple summers. That's what I remember anyway.

Zborovskiy OTOH was considered by most so-called draft experts to be a reach pick in the third round by the Rangers. Obviously the Rangers own scouting staff doesn't think so--but he projects as a stay at home physical D and for a lot of people that description is not very exciting.

I think this somewhat depends on where you'd rather place your faith--on the one hand the consensus of the draft experts---on the other hand the Rangers own amateur draft scouting staff. Best case scenario they both turn into good NHL players.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Again, it's the perceived upside. Three games are completely irrelevant and should neither help nor hurt a player's stock.

The point isn't that 0 points in 3 games hurt his stock. That would be true if we argued about two players drafted at about the same position. We are not. We are talking about a guy who was drafted over a full round behind the other guy. Three games should not raise the guy's stock no matter what he did in them, but if he does nothing those games, it certainly does not raise his stock.

So when one player is drafted over a full round ahead and the other player does nothing to raise his stock, why would that player be ranked ahead?

As I mentioned before, when people on this forum say that a certain player is a reach or a dropper, they base it on The Hockey News. But THN is terrible with this stuff. I suspect they are even worse with pre-draft guys than with post-draft prospects - and their rankings of post-draft guys are horrible.

This is why the so-called droppers turn out to be terrible almost always and the so-called risers (e.g., Stepan) are usually decent or better. The reason is that teams' scouting staffs know better than THN and Central Scouting or else teams would steal those guys from THN and CS.

Until at least the next draft, Zboro should be ahead of Morrison. Our staff knows better than HFNYR posters.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Until at least the next draft, Zboro should be ahead of Morrison. Our staff knows better than HFNYR posters.

Sometimes, sometimes not. I can think of more than a few times where consensus of our posters was that it was a bad pick, and they were right. I can also think of numerous scenarios where the opposite is true. Everyone has their opinion, sometimes it differs from the front office. That's the point of this exercise isn't it?

If I look just at the kids we drafted, I would have taken Saarela, Morrison and Bernhardt ahead of Zborovskiy. I wouldn't have drafted Huska at all. That's just how I'd rank them. Gorton is free to register an account here and vote for Zborovskiy. I will stick with my own rankings. If you prefer to just rank them according to how they were drafted, that's fine too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad