Tarmo Reunanen
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 1 1998
Height 6.00 -- Weight 170

2016-17 TuTo Turku Mestis 12 0-5-5

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
For the love of God, not Tarmo. Someone who plays in the Finnish *minors*, who isn't even dominating there, who didn't even make the Finnish WC U18 team should not be at #14 when we have such a plethora of prospects. I mean, Hrivik is almost certainly going to play in the NHL after expansion and he's not even up for a vote yet. Rambo is a top-6 AHLer and he's not up there. Yet a guy who's an absolute nobody even at the Finnish level is somehow getting in at #14?

Voted for Jensen because he's the only one of them likely to see NHL ice during the regular season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
For the love of God, not Tarmo. Someone who plays in the Finnish *minors*, who isn't even dominating there, who didn't even make the Finnish WC U18 team should not be at #14 when we have such a plethora of prospects. I mean, Hrivik is almost certainly going to play in the NHL after expansion and he's not even up for a vote yet. Rambo is a top-6 AHLer and he's not up there. Yet a guy who's an absolute nobody even at the Finnish level is somehow getting in at #14?

Voted for Jensen because he's the only one of them likely to see NHL ice during the regular season.

Highly disagree. As do most fans here since like you said, he's not even up for vote here. He's a career AHLer.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Stop it. The kid you keep bashing was ranked neck and neck with the #6 OA pick in the last draft prior to suffering an injury that kept him out for a year and is only just playing his first handful of games in 12 months. It's absolutely legitimate to have him in the mid teens, ESPECIALLY as a defenseman. I, for one, give him at least a year to catch back up to his peers, probably longer.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Make your pick and stop influencing others.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I just find it hilarious that Beacon had that whole toolbox post in another prospect ranking thread, but keeps bashing Tarmo because of his statline, while conveniently ignoring how he's been a fantastic three-zone player for TUTO, anchoring their top-pairing, and creating offensive chances every game.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just find it hilarious that Beacon had that whole toolbox post in another prospect ranking thread, but keeps bashing Tarmo because of his statline, while conveniently ignoring how he's been a fantastic three-zone player for TUTO, anchoring their top-pairing, and creating offensive chances every game.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Small defensemen have a hard time making the NHL, the exception being very talented guys. Tarmo is playing at a level only a bit above beer league, and players who can skate or shoot or pass or see the ice or size or hockey sense (any one of these), normally dominate those levels.

We have this every season, then the kid busts, and people move on to the next crap prospect and forget the last one. F'ing Glass had almost a point per game in college and NCAA produces《far》more NHLers than Finnish minors, so I assume it's at least even, probably better. Matt Carey is a 4th line AHLer and again had a point per game in college.

An undersized defenseman who is offense-first and known to have defense issues needs to put up points in a garbage league.

Make your pick and stop influencing others.

It's been discussed before and established by mods that people are encouraged to make their argument.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Finnish minor league for an 18 year old---IMO is not that big of a deal. Sean Day's already 12th on our list and he's playing in the OHL. Are the CHL leagues better than the Mestis?---debatable. I would think that Lliga was better though and Tarmo might still see some action in that league before the year is out.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Finnish minor league for an 18 year old---IMO is not that big of a deal. Sean Day's already 12th on our list and he's playing in the OHL. Are the CHL leagues better than the Mestis?---debatable. I would think that Lliga was better though and Tarmo might still see some action in that league before the year is out.

Basically, if you play below the level of others, my expectation is that you dominate that level. Huska played in a low level league in the USHL, but he went out and showed that he's too good for that level by being Goalie of the Year and First Team All-Star. That's the expectation for anyone playing at a low level. It's not to be able to keep up at that level, it's not to be good at that level, it's to abuse that level of hockey and prove that you don't in the lower league, you below in the higher league. The expectation is the same for anyone playing at a lower level than others of similar age: overagers in the juniors, 23-year-olds in college, draftees coming out of HS or Jr-B, Euros playing in Norway or France, you name it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Basically, if you play below the level of others, my expectation is that you dominate that level. Huska played in a low level league in the USHL, but he went out and showed that he's too good for that level by being Goalie of the Year and First Team All-Star. That's the expectation for anyone playing at a low level. It's not to be able to keep up at that level, it's not to be good at that level, it's to abuse that level of hockey and prove that you don't in the lower league, you below in the higher league. The expectation is the same for anyone playing at a lower level than others of similar age: overagers in the juniors, 23-year-olds in college, draftees coming out of HS or Jr-B, Euros playing in Norway or France, you name it.

So where do Sean Day and Sergei Zborovskiy fit into this then? Neither of them are playing at a higher level than Reunanen is right now and neither of them have proven they're ready to play in a professional league or a higher level than they are right now. I don't buy your argument Beacon and it's not surprising that Reunanen is playing in Mestis instead of Lliga considering he missed almost all of last year with an injury and he's 18 years FFS. Miss the entirety of your draft year to injury and guess what happens--A. You fall in the draft and B. you lose an important year of development. IMO he's a better prospect than Day is and at least as good as Zborovskiy.

And Huska played in the USHL obviously because it's a college developmental league and that was his goal. The CHL is not for kids who want to go to college. I guess we could call the USHL an inferior league to the CHL. I don't know. Is it? Some kids don't want to play CHL. Some want to play college hockey.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So where do Sean Day and Sergei Zborovskiy fit into this then?

They play at the level they are supposed to play. I'm not talking about playing at a pro level here. I am talking about guys who play at a lower level than others of the same age. Day and Zborovskiy play in the Canadian Juniors, so when you compare them to other kids of the same age, it's a fair comparison to look at them vs other kids in the Canadian Juniors. On the other hand, if someone is playing in the USHL, they should prove that they're too good for that level.

considering he missed almost all of last year with an injury

Fast missed almost the whole season and didn't get sent down from the SEL to the Swedish minors. The fact that a player gets injured does not normally get him sent down to the minors.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They play at the level they are supposed to play. I'm not talking about playing at a pro level here. I am talking about guys who play at a lower level than others of the same age. Day and Zborovskiy play in the Canadian Juniors, so when you compare them to other kids of the same age, it's a fair comparison to look at them vs other kids in the Canadian Juniors. On the other hand, if someone is playing in the USHL, they should prove that they're too good for that level.

Fast missed almost the whole season and didn't get sent down from the SEL to the Swedish minors. The fact that a player gets injured does not normally get him sent down to the minors.

Teams are different though and some are deeper as far as personnel than others--so the same opportunities don't exist for everyone dependent on the organization they play for or even what season--personnel is always an in flux issue. You've decided the Mestis sucks when it seems it's the second best league in the country and Finland is one of the better European hockey countries. IMO he's not really in a league that's any worse than the league Day or Zborovskiy are in. He's the same age as Day--and it ain't like that guy doesn't have some issues. He's a year younger than Zborovskiy who doesn't project as a puck moving D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad