Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #12

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
RW Robin Kovacs won round 11. D Petr Zamorsky is added to the poll.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

* Please don't write that so-and-so should or should not be a prospect. It's not up to each individual here to decide, it's up to the HF rules. Every poll we have people who think they get to decide the rules. If you don't like the rules, go to another web site because here we use HF rules.

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Brady Skjei
3. C Oscar Lindberg
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. G Igor Shesterkin

SECOND TIER

6. C Ryan Gropp
7. G Brandon Halverson
8. G Mackenzie Skapski
9. C Adam Tambellini
10. D Ryan Graves
11. RW Robin Kovacs

CIhK0TgWcAA0IiW.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Bodie, Mat
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Lindblad, Matt
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael
Zborovskiy, Sergey

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Nieves because he was a second rounder and despite an up and down college career, I doubt his value is much less than it was on draft day.

Add Zborovskiy because he was just drafted in the third round just a few picks below Kovacs.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hellberg was just traded for a 6th rounder, yet he's getting votes before Zboro, who was just drafted in the third round, is even added to the poll?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hellberg was just traded for a 6th rounder, yet he's getting votes before Zboro, who was just drafted in the third round, is even added to the poll?

Goalies never have much trade value, and they don't even have a lot of draft value. The market for goaltending prospects is pretty deflated. It's why there are always a good amount of promising UDFAs out there.

Hellberg is still pretty young and has already had decent professional success. I like him for the opposite reason I like someone like Morrison--he's safe in his projectability. I think this is an appropriate spot for someone like him that's reasonably likely to have an NHL career.

To be honest, I just haven't read much about Zborovskiy to have me excited by him. A few people have called the pick a bit of a reach, and I haven't seen anyone particularly high on any single aspect of his game. He sounds like a project. I don't see a ton of upside and I definitely don't think he's a safe bet to reach his upside. Maybe when I can sit down and watch more than a shift or two I'll change my mind.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Goalies never have much trade value, and they don't even have a lot of draft value. The market for goaltending prospects is pretty deflated. It's why there are always a good amount of promising UDFAs out there. .

Yup.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hellberg, add Bodie. That Philly game showed his upside can translate to NHL...

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I like Saarela here. From what I've read, it seems like he has solid upside if he stays on the ice. As a team, we struggled to develop 3rd/4th liners for years; seems like we have an abundance of these guys now. Hoping he surprises some people this year.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008

Kovacs... add Mantha (over Zborovskiy, only because he's shown progress & is one year ahead in development).

I really don't have much hope for Nieves despite his having been picked in the 2nd round. Finesse/skilled college players who haven't put up big numbers by their junior year almost never make it to the NHL.

Saarela & Morrison do have upside. Let's hope they keep progressing.

Nejezchleb was a 5th rounder, who played as an overage junior last year, and did not impress the Rangers enough to sign him. Most overage juniors dominate & Nejezchleb did not. Reminds me a bit of past Grachev, Jonason, Yogan, Graham, Hunter picks... Nice size, but didn't show enough progress to make it as pros.

At 23, Zamorsky should've pushed for a roster spot with his international experience. I don't see him as anything more than an AHL depth defenseman.

If we're right & Hellberg, who was just acquired for a 6th rounder (in 2017 no less), is getting votes ahead of our 3rd & 4th round picks (one of whom hasn't been added yet), then our amateur scouting staff should be fired immediately.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If we're right & Hellberg, who was just acquired for a 6th rounder (in 2017 no less), is getting votes ahead of our 3rd & 4th round picks (one of whom hasn't been added yet), then our amateur scouting staff should be fired immediately.

This.

I could see if Hellberg had some spectacular preseason, but he lost the backup role (as expected) to Raanta. I don't see how Hellberg should be ranked a half a dozen spots than a guy who was just drafted in the third. Maybe Zboro is not perfectly safe, nor has a huge upside, but he's a prospect who has a little bit of both: higher risk and potential than someone like Hrivik*, lower risk and potential than someone like Morrison.

* The NHL will likely expand in 2017-18, and I suspect when that happens Hrivik makes the NHL. By then he'll get a little better and will probably get a cup of coffee in the NHL over the next two seasons. Then when expansion comes he'll be some team's top-13, maybe right here.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Zboro really wasn't a great 3rd round pick. I don't see him having top 4 upside. Hellberg was a former 2nd round pick, despite being traded for a 6th. Zboro was an off the board pick for the Rangers, he wasn't ranked as high by scouts and such as they took him....

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Zboro really wasn't a great 3rd round pick. I don't see him having top 4 upside. Hellberg was a former 2nd round pick, despite being traded for a 6th. Zboro was an off the board pick for the Rangers, he wasn't ranked as high by scouts and such as they took him....

Stepan was also an off-the-board pick. The fact that THN missed a player in their pre-draft issue, does not mean they are right and scouts are wrong. Look at their Future Watch issue: almost all the rankings are wrong. Their draft rankings are just as bad, but we just know much more about our own prospects than future draftees, so we don't recognize THN mistakes and consider guys THN missed to be crazy off-the-board picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad