Speculation: Rangers offer sheet Trouba or Morrisey

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
IF the Rangers get the kids they want in this years draft, maybe they risk the compensation and get one of these stud dmen. Winnipeg is going to have to sign a lot of big-time players this summer and next. Thoughts?

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
The Rangers would be giving up a top 10 pick plus a few other 1sts for Trouba. Is it worth giving up a lottery pick to try and speed up your rebuild?

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Well I don't know what the compensation is and depending on the money and how that works. Also all depends on how this draft unfolds and the trades that are made. I really do not think the Rangers will be that bad next year.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Well I don't know what the compensation is and depending on the money and how that works. Also all depends on how this draft unfolds and the trades that are made. I really do not think the Rangers will be that bad next year.
What have they improved on their team to make them better? Lundqvist is a year older, they don't have a #1D anymore, odds are they move out a couple more vets this year. I think NYR best course of action is doing nothing and maybe signing a FA or two. Offer sheet compensation is way too high for it to be worth it. You could trade for Trouba for less than the offer sheet compensation.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
You get now a healthy Shattenkirk, a healthy Chris Kreider, and more groomed Hayes, Pionk looks up and coming. The team may not make the playoffs but all depends on the draft and free agency. If they land Kovy that speeds some things up. I dont fully know, but I would not be surprised if the Rangers bounced back.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Anything not completely stupid will get matched. Anything completely stupid will cost the Rangers multiple 1sts.

Nothing to speculate about there. The Jets cap crunch doesn't hit until NEXT year.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This scenario is completely unrealistic.

Not only do you not see offer sheets often, but they're usually not handed out by rebuilding teams, like a team in the Rangers situation.

I can't see the Rangers doing this.

Reactions: slg1963

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You get now a healthy Shattenkirk, a healthy Chris Kreider, and more groomed Hayes, Pionk looks up and coming. The team may not make the playoffs but all depends on the draft and free agency. If they land Kovy that speeds some things up. I dont fully know, but I would not be surprised if the Rangers bounced back.

I think Quinn jolts the Rangers (especially their Boston contingent), and I wouldn't be surprised to see them improve.

At the same time though, that's a lot of moving pieces to gamble on. I don't think it'd be prudent to gamble on everything falling into place in short order. Committing to owing a fat offer-sheet compensation package gets a lot uglier if those high picks end up being high in the draft order.

Reactions: Monument

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
18-19 - $12.85 mil ($11.85 mil signing bonus)
19-20 - $8.3525 mil ($7.3525 mil signing bonus) [35% Rule]
20-21 - $6.425 mil ($5.425 mil signing bonus) [50% Rule]
21-22 - $6.425 mil ($5.425 mil signing bonus) [50% Rule]
22-23 - $6.425 mil ($5.425 mil signing bonus) [50% Rule]

AAV = ~$8.1 mil (1st, 2nd, 3rd Compensation)

The Jets probably match, but I do wonder if an offer sheet for Trouba structured in that manner at that cap hit would make them at least think about taking the picks and moving forward with Myers, particularly given where the Rangers are right now as a franchise. Anything beyond that involves the Rangers taking on a huge amount of risk in terms of additional 1st round picks.

Of course, offer sheets are a non-factor at this point. It's unrealistic in that way already.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
No thanks , too costly . Rangers can try to get Dobson , Hughes, Boqvist or Bouchard in the draft if they want a defenseman .

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
A team entering a rebuild shouldn't offer sheet anyone. There's at least a chance those are lottery pics you're gambling. You lose the number one overall in an offer sheet deal, the only trades you'll ever make again will be for your fantasy team. Ironically, a good young team like Winnipeg could offer sheet some one as their picks should figure to practically be second rounders for the sake of argument.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think Quinn jolts the Rangers (especially their Boston contingent), and I wouldn't be surprised to see them improve.

At the same time though, that's a lot of moving pieces to gamble on. I don't think it'd be prudent to gamble on everything falling into place in short order. Committing to owing a fat offer-sheet compensation package gets a lot uglier if those high picks end up being high in the draft order.

You nailed it, perfect response.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
not sure why people are talking top 10 pick, all 2018 offersheets are for 2019 draft... and not 100% guaranteed that NY Ranger will be bottom 10 in 2019

as for OP, I don't think that trying to sped up a retooling process is the best solution at this point for NYR... they should keep as much pick as they can for now and try to move out of that "bubble team" and acquire young talent via draft

Reactions: EssEmmEll

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
You're better off trying to trade for that type of player than offer-sheeting them. At least in a trade, you have a pretty good idea of what you're giving up and you won't burn a bridge in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad