Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Ryan Martin AGM of Rangers, GM of Hartford

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Cap guru?

Looks like. Ex-NHL player, attorney with years of experience at his job, including player evaluation and cap negotiations. Very much looks like the front office professional people have called for.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know this is the "official announcement" but didn't this leak last week? Martin had been with USA Hockey, and with the Red Wings forever. Everyone seems to think highly of him except the one Wings fan who came here to tell us about every bad contract that Detroit has and how it was all Martin's fault. Both Yzerman and Holland liked him.

This is the thread: Confirmed with Link: - Chris Drury hires Ryan Martin as his AGM

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I know this is the "official announcement" but didn't this leak last week? Martin had been with USA Hockey, and with the Red Wings forever. Everyone seems to think highly of him except the one Wings fan who came here to tell us about every bad contract that Detroit has and how it was all Martin's fault. Both Yzerman and Holland liked him.

This is the thread: Confirmed with Link: - Chris Drury hires Ryan Martin as his AGM

It sounds mostly positive from the bit I’ve read. Detroit had some bad contracts, but I’m guessing that’s more on the GM. AGM may structure the contract but the GM is likely making the final decision.

I guess if I had a reservation it is that Yzerman brought Verbeek from TB to also be AGM in Detroit. Was that just Yzerman bringing over one of his guys or was Martin getting pushed out? Martin I’d from CT so likely coming back home and probably getting a pay increase. Obviously, he and Drury share the USA and CT connections.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Capologist.

Please kindly refer to the thread nyr2k2 posted.
And this is from his USA Hockey bio for those interested in what he was actually doing day-to-day with Detroit:

"Martin is in his 10th season as assistant general manager and his 15th overall as a member of the Detroit Red Wings’ front office team. Martin is primarily responsible for collective bargaining agreement administration and compliance, salary cap management, player contract research and analysis, and salary arbitration preparation. He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.

In addition, Martin is currently in his seventh season as general manager of the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League, who have captured two Calder Cup championships over a five-year span under his watch (2013 and 2017). He oversees all aspects of hockey operations for the Griffins including player personnel decisions, player development, contract negotiations and player movement."

2019 WJC | Ryan Martin, Player Personnel

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It sounds mostly positive from the bit of I’ve read. Detroit had some bad contracts, but I’m guessing that’s more on the GM. AGM may structure the contract but the GM is likely making the final decision.

I guess if I had a reservation is that Yzerman brought Verbeek from TB to also be AGM in Detroit. Was that just Yzerman bringing over one of his guys or was Martin getting pushed out.
Yeah and the reality is every team has at least a couple bad contracts. It's not to give anyone a free pass, but to acknowledge that's just how it goes. I think in the modern NHL, avoiding bad contracts is almost less important that being creative in figuring out how to unload them.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah and the reality is every team has at least a couple bad contracts. It's not to give anyone a free pass, but to acknowledge that's just how it goes. I think in the modern NHL, avoiding bad contracts is almost less important that being creative in figuring out how to unload them.

That’s a good point about unloading. The Rangers hadn’t been great in that area but they were probably better off hanging onto their draft capital in a rebuild rather than using it to dump contracts.

As far as Martin, I think Holland says sign Abdelkader and I’m ok with ____ as an AAV. Martin then structures the deal. I’m sure he gets a voice in the room, but how much? Who knows. Certainly can’t just flatly blame him for bad contracts. Although, I’d assume that comes up in an interview and clearly Drury didn’t mind the answer. If the Goodrow contract doesn’t work out then we are blaming Drury / not his “capologist.”

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That’s a good point about unloading. The Rangers hadn’t been great in that area but they were probably better off hanging onto their draft capital in a rebuild rather than using it to dump contracts.

As far as Martin, I think Holland says sign Abdelkader and I’m ok with ____ as an AAV. Martin then structures the deal. I’m sure he gets a voice in the room, but how much? Who knows. Certainly can’t just flatly blame him for bad contracts. Although, I’d assume that comes up in an interview and clearly Drury didn’t mind the answer. If the Goodrow contract doesn’t work out then we are blaming Drury / not his “capologist.”
The last post in the previous thread was on-point, as ususal, from @RangerBoy:
Kenny Holland has brought the same contract philosophy with him to Edmonton.

RNH and Nurse got long-term max extensions. Hyman got 7 years as a free agent. Is Ryan Martin to blame for those contracts too?

The Rangers had a cap guy who was also their AGM. Cameron Hope. 2005-2011. The Rangers signed some awful contracts. Glen Sather was the GM. Nobody blamed Hope. We blamed the GM.

The Red Wings have signed some good contracts under Yzerman. Mantha. The Red Wings turned a signed Mantha into future assets. Nedeljkovic. Vrana. Does Martin any credit or does he only get the blame for the Holland era.

Yzerman wanted to bring Martin with him to TB in 2010. They worked together in Detroit before Yzerman left for TB. Martin could have joined Holland in Edmonton but Martin stayed in Detroit to work under Yzerman. Tyler Wright joined Holland in Edmonton. Yzerman could have fired Martin at any time. If the Rangers had not hired Martin, he would still be an AGM under Yzerman.

Reactions: Barnaby

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Rangers website was updated today with the new hires.

New York Rangers Directory

Jamie Herrington was an amateur scout. He is now Director of NCAA scouting.

Matt Hunwick was hired as a player development assistant in May. His name was added to the website today.

The Rangers added a player development assistant in Europe. Antii Miettinen. He played for the Stars, Jets and Wild. His last NHL season was in 2012-13 for Winnipeg. He replaces Tuomo Ruutu who became an assistant coach for the Panthers.

The Rangers added a pro scout Al Tuer. He was previously with the Panthers.

The Rangers also added Shaone Morrisonn as a pro scout in Europe. He was a former 1st round pick of the Bruins in 2001. He was traded to the Caps in 2004 in the Sergei Gonchar trade. He played for the Caps until 2010. One season in Buffalo. He has been playing overseas since 12-13.

JD's brother and son in law are still in the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad