Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Jacques Martin as an Assistant Coach

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Did David Quinn possibly hire his own replacement?

While I don’t think this is the case, it would mean that things have not worked out for Quinn, and in that case maybe Martin would be possibly an “interim” replacement while there’s a candidate search. BTW, this is one of the things I was vary about when Ruff was hired - I didn’t want him as a head coach, interim or not.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
As someone who has been whining a lot about the lack of a defensive system, I'm thrilled. I did some digging into his past and found some interesting tidbits.

1. He became the coach of the Habs right after the Scott Gomez trade. It was a pretty dark time for that team but he managed to get them into the playoffs both of his first two seasons.

2. He was an asst coach with Tony Granato so he may likely come into the job with an idea of K'Andre's game.

3. He has experience being an asst to a younger head coach and likely assumes a similar role with Quinn that he had with Sullivan in PGH.

4. Terrible track record as GM of the Panthers. Like first few years of Sather NYR bad. So, hopefully they don't ask for his input on trades... :)

5. He was an asst for Mike Keenan, and then coached under him when Keenan was a GM.

6. As a HC he used a system that was a very buttoned up defensive style. And for accountability. It allowed him to get everything out of low talent teams but also frustrate the more skilled players on his teams. So it'll be interesting to see how he meshes with Quinn. He clearly knows how to be an asst coach, but I'm curious to see how he adapts to the NYR style vs how much he can impact/upgrade it.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I'm really happy with this move. Getting rid of Ruff was an automatic upgrade even if he hadn't been replaced, but getting Martin in to bring some structure should move the needle on defense. Now it's a matter of ensuring that Staal really gets sheltered third line minutes at most.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
As someone who speaks several languages, I can say that no matter how fluent you are, you will never be as comfortable in another language.

So true. I'm fully fluent in French. Born and raised in NYC to an American father and French Canadian mother. I've moved around a bit but was in NYC until 9, and then in Quebec learning French until 20 or so. I've been back in Montreal and area for a while now.

I've spent more of my life in Quebec than in NYC at this point and despite the fact that I did more schooling in French, have pretty much exclusively Francophone friends (who all speak great English, but still), and a Francophone gf along with my family here that's Francophone as well... I still default to English any time a conversation gets more serious or nuanced, or deep... or if I drink. I sometimes dream in French. I count in either French or English in my head, I think in both languages interchangeably. But I will always default to English.

edit: His English seems good for his age. That's common around Montreal, less so the further out you get but he's a pro hockey player. That said, I guarantee he'd benefit from having some Québécois around. I'm not saying we need to go out and get more, I'm just saying it's likely he'll bond with them first. We've got Gauthier. Maybe we'll get Lafferière. Not for nothing Shesterkin and Buch are hanging out together. It's just normal. If we managed to land Lundell somehow, I'm pretty certain Kakko would be with him a lot too. Not a necessity or a requirement, but if it lines up that way it's a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So true. I'm fully fluent in French. Born and raised in NYC to an American father and French Canadian mother. I've moved around a bit but was in NYC until 9, and then in Quebec learning French until 20 or so. I've been back in Montreal and area for a while now.

I've spent more of my life in Quebec than in NYC at this point and despite the fact that I did more schooling in French, have pretty much exclusively Francophone friends (who all speak great English, but still), and a Francophone gf along with my family here that's Francophone as well... I still default to English any time a conversation gets more serious or nuanced, or deep... or if I drink. I sometimes dream in French. I count in either French or English in my head, I think in both languages interchangeably. But I will always default to English.

edit: His English seems good for his age. That's common around Montreal, less so the further out you get but he's a pro hockey player. That said, I guarantee he'd benefit from having some Québécois around. I'm not saying we need to go out and get more, I'm just saying it's likely he'll bond with them first. We've got Gauthier. Maybe we'll get Lafferière. Not for nothing Shesterkin and Buch are hanging out together. It's just normal. If we managed to land Lundell somehow, I'm pretty certain Kakko would be with him a lot too. Not a necessity or a requirement, but if it lines up that way it's a nice bonus.

Funny story, my girlfriend can tell when I am drunk because I start using Dutch words in English sentences. It's as if your brain switches tosafe mode like Windows XP in the past used to do, where only basic features work :laugh:

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Funny story, my girlfriend can tell when I am drunk because I start using Dutch words in English sentences. It's as if your brain switches tosafe mode like Windows XP in the past used to do, where only basic features work :laugh:

That's great! Mine can tell when I'm hitting tipsy because instead of "Frenglish" which I speak with a lot of Francophones here (as many do themselves), I'll start saying full sentences in English and speak a lot quicker like I would with a native Anglophone. She calls it my "New York Drunk". Though to be clear I do NOT have the stereotypical New Yorker accent. I can do it, but it's not my natural. But she senses the change in how I speak. And when I get full on drunk I'll start dropping some Spanish here and there too, since I grew up with 2 of my best friends being Boriqua (Puerto Rican).

I also very much enjoy the "safe mode" comparison, hahaha.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
As someone who speaks several languages, I can say that no matter how fluent you are, you will never be as comfortable in another language.

It depends on the situation. My first language is Spanish but I've been in the States so long that I'm more fluent and comfortable with English. Although I'm sure the Lafreniere situation is closer to what your saying.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There’s nothing not to like about this move. It was a steal from a rival. This guy has kept the penguins winning no matter who’s in the lineup. And I’m really impressed that our management team kind of went outside of their comfort zone and grabbed the best avail candidate instead of just the best avail guy from NY or Boston metro.

this is going to allow Quinn to do what he does best and that’s communicating with the players while having a real coach implement structure. No doubt JD and Gorts saw what our biggest weakness was. Looseness and I expect Strome to be gone as a result of it as well

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
This hire is win win.

Having a coach with the kind of (successful) experience, he has especially in the morden game is helpful for both our coaches and players.

This team could easily see a 5 win increase just by tightening up play in our own zone. Remember how many heartbreakers we lost from blunders in our own end or neutral zone?

I'd love to see him influence guys like Chytil and Howden who have the work ethic but are very raw in the defensive zone.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know Martin has 2 cups but I just can't get Montreal KOing that juggernaut Washington team in 2010 when they had no business even being in the playoffs. That was a true David vs Goliath series if I've ever seen one.

Reactions: Leetch3

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh usually has a top10 PK, no?

edit - this may limit our d-men pts total going forward. Pond Hockey arguably inflated some d-men stats

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
... Looseness and I expect Strome to be gone as a result of it as well

Quite a leap in conclusion (he could be gone for other reasons). Might just as well stated that under Martin Strome will become a defensive stalwart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->