Rangers make 15-year-old’s dream come true, sign him to one-day contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/r...dream-come-true-sign-him-to-one-day-contract/

Chris Falzone will have his dream come true on Monday night when he skates onto the ice as a member of the New York Rangers.

Falzone, 15, is a cancer survivor and, along with months of treatment and therapy, hockey is what kept him going.

“His skills were impeccable and we decided as an organization that we had to sign this young man,†said Rangers legend Adam Graves in a release. “He is a young man of great character and desire, we are proud and honored to have him as part of the Rangers organization.â€

In his freshman year of high school, Falzone began to feel discomfort in his hip. What was initially thought to be pain from growth spurts or simply soreness from physical activity was later diagnosed as non-Hodgkin mature B cell lymphoma, a form of bone cancer. Luckily, the cancer was caught early enough to allow for a full recovery, but it has been a difficult road back to hockey for Falzone. He underwent months of physical and chemotherapy, and it has all led to skating out onto Madison Square Garden ice as a member of the Rangers.

#NYR Legend Adam Graves and new Blueshirt Chris Falzone sign his 1 day contract. @gardenofdreams #GDFWeek2014 pic.twitter.com/16LwP8V2fD

— New York Rangers (@NYRangers) December 8, 2014

When he was first diagnosed, Falzone was told it was unlikely that he would ever play hockey again, doctors telling him that he may have to undergo a full hip replacement. When his treatment options changed, it gave Falzone a glimmer of hope – if all went according to plan, he may be able to get back on the ice.

In April, Falzone, a lifelong Rangers fan, received a call from Graves and was invited to be a guest of the Rangers, even receiving an autographed jersey from his favorite player, defenseman Ryan McDonagh. It took until June for Falzone to have a fully healed hip, and a late June update on his YouCaring.com page, a fundraising website, let those following the young defenseman that he was well on his way to getting back on his skates.

As of July, Falzone was cleared to skate and has since rejoined the Middletown South High School team.

The Rangers, working with the Make-A-Wish Foundation of New Jersey, offered Falzone the contract on Dec. 4 after he took part in an open practice with the team.

Classy NY stuff and props to the kid for going through the treatment process and never giving up on his dream.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I can put aside my hatred for everything Rangers related for a moment to acknowledge what a cool thing this is.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
I've always thought it would be awesome to ditch the All-Star game and play one with kids like this/other fans who've been through a lot in life. It's a meaningless game anyway, and it seriously is the stuff of dreams for a kid like this. It would be great promotion for the league in general.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I've always thought it would be awesome to ditch the All-Star game and play one with kids like this/other fans who've been through a lot in life. It's a meaningless game anyway, and it seriously is the stuff of dreams for a kid like this. It would be great promotion for the league in general.

No one would pay to watch a bunch of kids. Would be horrible exposure for the league.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Totally off topic, but I LOVE that practice jersey, I love that logo, can't believe they mostly use the "R A N G E R S" logo :(.

That reminds me of the Sharks who did the same thing, the video was so moving, even Thornton looked shocked !

Reactions: Pens x

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
More teams should do stuff like this. Although I think whichever guy who signs a 1 day contract should at least play a shift like for real.

Just imagine that, every hardcore fan lacing them skates up and play against pros.

It would be like that show on spiketv - pros vs joes

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Clear cap circumvention. :sarcasm:

Always great when teams do these kind of things. Though the Senators press release when they hired the kid as a scout was great since it read like an actual press release. :laugh:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
More teams should do stuff like this. Although I think whichever guy who signs a 1 day contract should at least play a shift like for real.

Just imagine that, every hardcore fan lacing them skates up and play against pros.

It would be like that show on spiketv - pros vs joes

Imagine if, in that one shift, that kid got run over by an actual player and was seriously hurt? That's a terrible idea, man.

Good on the Rangers. Love seeing stuff like this.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The sad thing is, this is Sather's best signing in years :laugh:

Seriously though, the Rangers do a lot of charity work, and last summer threw the fans a free Eastern Conference Championship party, where we got to meet legends and see the trophy. It makes me proud when they give back to the community.

Reactions: Pens x

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

You've really always thought that? Think about it some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad