Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Actually terrible. Johnson is a 3rd liner really. Bracco's in his third full AHL season and has never played an NHL game and has 3 goals this year. Strikes me that he's probably a perimeter player. The 2nd?--somewhere around the 5oth pick in the upcoming draft.

......and you're going to give up both Kreider and Georgiev for that? Glad you're not the Rangers GM.

I did say a 1st instead of a 2nd, and the trade breaks down as 1st/Bracco for Kreider, and Johnsson for Georgiev. That falls in line with rough expectations for both players. Johnsson is a 3rd liner on the loaded Leafs, but he would almost definitely be on the Rangers' 2nd line sans Kreider. I guess you also threw out Bracco's year last year when you were doing all that fine research on him. It didn't quite support your opinion, I guess.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rangers are talking contract extension with Kreider.
Highly expected that Kreider will be traded.

3E9216F600000578-4343858-image-m-104_1490302781709.jpg

good asset management--they make it clear they want to sign him and give him the numbers, trade him for some good assets and then resign him July 1st

Reactions: Llamamoto49

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What's so confusing?

You talk about an extension. Either there's little interest on the player part. Or the team is offering too low a number. It seems like they won't be able to agree on an extension both sides are happy with. That then makes it expected he would be traded.

Yeah. There's really nothing confusing there.

The Rangers will continue to talk extension with Kreider...but if they remain as far apart as they probably are, he's as good as gone by the deadline. He's just far too valuable at the deadline to let him sit and discuss extensions if the interest isn't there at the price he wants.

To me...this reads like a situation where Kreider is going to fetch an absolute haul at the deadline. But he's going to hit the market and cash in this summer at an absurd price as well. It's going to be easily north of the Lucic deal. So we're talking probably 6 years at $7M+, if not encroaching on $8M ask.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To quote Neo from the matrix with Kreider not bringing back a first. “How about I give you the finger and you give me my first round pick.”

I think people are catching up on that dead-line deals suck. Like sure I want a good return for Kreider, but if NYR were "buying" I would be against any kind of dead-line deal myself. The record of these deals just speaks so clearly, they suck, and often does more damage than good.

With that said, Kreider can really be a force on the ice. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he had his best year in front of him, or even 4-5 best years in front of him. And he is easy to fit in on a team, doesn't need players around him to adjust to him, give him the puck in certain situations etc.

Coaches and the NHL GMs in extension will value that a lot, so I think Kreider will bring a really good return. Gorton is bound to listen in with all suitors, and eventually find an offer that is deemed to be very attractive from his POV. Don't think this will be a 1st + prospect type of trade.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I did say a 1st instead of a 2nd, and the trade breaks down as 1st/Bracco for Kreider, and Johnsson for Georgiev. That falls in line with rough expectations for both players. Johnsson is a 3rd liner on the loaded Leafs, but he would almost definitely be on the Rangers' 2nd line sans Kreider. I guess you also threw out Bracco's year last year when you were doing all that fine research on him. It didn't quite support your opinion, I guess.

The Leafs 1st for both 20 and 21 are currently tied up in the Marleau deal they made. It will most probably be the 2020 but at least until they officially make the playoffs which will not likely be by the deadline the Rangers are not going to be able to trade for either.

Johnsson has three years after this on a $3.4 mil contract. He's already 25 and has only one full year on a loaded Leafs offense in which he put up 43 points which is kind of passenger numbers. No doubt he would get the opportunity to slot in on Mika's line but there's no guarantee he'd hold it.

Bracco is working on his third AHL season. He is smallish and puts up points but they're in much greater part assists. The Maple Leafs have called up forwards now and again the past couple years but never him. Why?

Georgiev also is a 3rd year player but has played NHL games all 3 years. I think it's very arguable he's better right now than Henrik. A 23 year old goalie with as much NHL experience as he has and who often enough steals games is a very good bet to become an NHL starting goalie. Kreider--we're not going to replace his speed or net front presence with Johnsson. That's just a given.

There is no 'wow' in this package for the Rangers. We're downgrading LW and trading off a potential NHL starter for a 1st that might come in 2022, a mediocre prospect and a 25 year old who might be a 2nd or a 3rd line player and maybe not even worth his contract when all is said and done.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I could see Dallas being heavily interested in this. Offer is gonna be tough though, as we're already without our 2020 2nd and 3rd.

They should be, but if Rangers absolutely want a 1st rounder added to that deal, it may be a no go for Nill.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
With that said, Kreider can really be a force on the ice. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he had his best year in front of him, or even 4-5 best years in front of him.
We hear this every year. Someday he will live up to his potential.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
we need cap space in this deal, you could buy him out in the offseason or trade away.

But then we'd still have to deal with a 3 goalie situation. It doesn't make sense for the Rangers. A skater cap dump would work if that's what's needed, but I'm not taking Reimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad