Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Can you 100% guarantee that Kreider will re-sign with whichever team trades for him? 'Cause that's the only reason Vegas gave up Brannstrom in the Stone deal. Stone is also a better player than Kreider, too, so I'm not sure if the blueprint for that deal is the best one to use in this situation.

Ask the guy who brought Stone into the equation.....I didn't mention him until he was brought up.
If I could guarantee Kreider re signs with which ever team trades for him, the price increases.

As I said, you can"t rely on previous TDL's to extract value for players at the current TDL.
Supply and demand is the main reason prices change.

Kreider is from Boston, I could easily see him re signing there.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Ask the guy who brought Stone into the equation.....I didn't mention him until he was brought up.
If I could guarantee Kreider re signs with which ever team trades for him, the price increases.

As I said, you can"t rely on previous TDL's to extract value for players at the current TDL.
Supply and demand is the main reason prices change.

Kreider is from Boston, I could easily see him re signing there.
I would also think the price for Kreider increases if he's guaranteed to re-sign with the team that trades for him, but I can't see him bringing in a package like the one given up for Stone even in that instance.

Good point on the values of players changing over time, but given that there has been more emphasis placed on building from within and getting productive players on their ELCs during Cup windows, I think the days of Gaustad for a 1st are long gone. Every team has a threshold that they won't go over when making a trade, and some teams have more limiting thresholds than others. Maybe Boston will ship the Rags their 2020 1st + their top prospect for Kreider, I dunno. I just wouldn't expect it in the current youth-driven NHL climate.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I would also think the price for Kreider increases if he's guaranteed to re-sign with the team that trades for him, but I can't see him bringing in a package like the one given up for Stone even in that instance.

Good point on the values of players changing over time, but given that there has been more emphasis placed on building from within and getting productive players on their ELCs during Cup windows, I think the days of Gaustad for a 1st are long gone. Every team has a threshold that they won't go over when making a trade, and some teams have more limiting thresholds than others. Maybe Boston will ship the Rags their 2020 1st + their top prospect for Kreider, I dunno. I just wouldn't expect it in the current youth-driven NHL climate.

Right, who knows if anyone will, but I have to believe the price has been set. I like the ointernal building thing too but then you run into the risk of some of your prospects not being ready when you need a boost around playoff time........which is why bidding wars for UFA's happen.

I'm honestly not interested in Boston's 2020 picks. I'd prefer a package of Prospects starting with Studnicka/Beecher and Frederick +. It is a large price to pay but I think it also makes them the favorite in the East.

Do you think the Av's are in on Kreider and what would be the offer?

Reactions: dumpin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I just can’t see Boston giving up Studnicka.

If the Rangers would settle on Beecher and somehow take the last year of Backes that would probably work wonders from Bosons end.

Their first should certainly be in play. Heinen as well. Bjork’s name I’ve seen floated around too but seems doubtful unless another roster player was coming back.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Still feel like Boston might one stop shop on the west coast when it’s all said and done

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
BOS receives: Chris Kreider, LW
NYR receives: Anders Bjork, LW, Jack Studnicka, C, and a 2020 1st.

I think Bruins fans, and yes it may be early, have to realize that Bjork, a .32PPG player, is probably more of a Vesey--bottom sixer at the NHL level who shows flashes of skill but isn't anything more. He has over 100 games of experience there. Studnicka has to come back. After seeing what a rental in Toffoli brought back and the deal TB made for Coleman, it's a must to get a prospect that's AT LEAST in the B+ mold.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Can you 100% guarantee that Kreider will re-sign with whichever team trades for him? 'Cause that's the only reason Vegas gave up Brannstrom in the Stone deal. Stone is also a better player than Kreider, too, so I'm not sure if the blueprint for that deal is the best one to use in this situation.
They'd get to talk to Kreider if they're interested in re-signing him.

Yes Stone is better than Kreider. But Brannstrom was waaaaaay more valuable than either of the Bruins prospects' ever been. He was tearing it up and looked like a top 2 D at the trade.

Which is something to take into consideration when comparing the trades.

I'm expecting a 1st + B prospect, perhaps. It's hard to gauge value but some of the other players have already been moved.

Also Colorado just lost Rantanen for what was it, 6(?) weeks.. that's a tough loss and I'm sure they want to try to get into the playoffs.

Hopefully that'll start a bidding war.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Right, who knows if anyone will, but I have to believe the price has been set. I like the ointernal building thing too but then you run into the risk of some of your prospects not being ready when you need a boost around playoff time........which is why bidding wars for UFA's happen.

I'm honestly not interested in Boston's 2020 picks. I'd prefer a package of Prospects starting with Studnicka/Beecher and Frederick +. It is a large price to pay but I think it also makes them the favorite in the East.

Do you think the Av's are in on Kreider and what would be the offer?
By all accounts the Avs are in on Kreider, but I think their threshold for a Kreider trade is lower than all of the other suitors. Unless New York loves whichever specific prospect the Avs are offering, I doubt they get him.

As for what the offer might be, I imagine it would include the 2020 1st and some additional pieces. If Kreider is a pure rental and isn't guaranteed to re-sign, then nothing like an A-level prospect or any of the prospects that Sakic has deemed important for the future of the team (so no Byram, Newhook, Timmins, maybe no Kaut, maybe no Bowers). Probably something like 2020 1st + Sampo Ranta + a later pick. It's a package a more desperate team can beat rather easily from a pure value perspective, but Sakic usually goes for guys with more term and doesn't need Kreider with any retention. I think the Rags can get a better package from a team up against the cap since they'll actually need retention on Kreider.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013

I think Bruins fans, and yes it may be early, have to realize that Bjork, a .32PPG player, is probably more of a Vesey--bottom sixer at the NHL level who shows flashes of skill but isn't anything more. He has over 100 games of experience there. Studnicka has to come back. After seeing what a rental in Toffoli brought back and the deal TB made for Coleman, it's a must to get a prospect that's AT LEAST in the B+ mold.
I think that's too much.. yeah if there's a bidding war MAYBE. But you're just lining yourself up for a major disappointment.

Reactions: JimmyG89

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
They'd get to talk to Kreider if they're interested in re-signing him.

Yes Stone is better than Kreider. But Brannstrom was waaaaaay more valuable than either of the Bruins prospects' ever been. He was tearing it up and looked like a top 2 D at the trade.

Which is something to take into consideration when comparing the trades.

I'm expecting a 1st + B prospect, perhaps. It's hard to gauge value but some of the other players have already been moved.

Also Colorado just lost Rantanen for what was it, 6(?) weeks.. that's a tough loss and I'm sure they want to try to get into the playoffs.

Hopefully that'll start a bidding war.
Unless something has changed recently, getting into bidding wars and overpaying for rentals is just not in Sakic's DNA as a GM. He has no panic, and his patience is the reason we're set up so well right now and in the future, and why we have the most cap space in the NHL while also moving towards the contender title.

Also, I don't think the Avs are really in danger of falling out of the playoffs. They might not make it as a 1 seed, but at the very, very worst, they'll make it as a wild card team. And even then, I doubt they drop out of one of the top-3 slots in the Central with their upcoming easy schedule.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I agree on Bjork although more talented than Vesey.... a 1st and Studnicka is far too much for rental Kreider and debatable as too much for signed Kreider.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I agree on Bjork although more talented than Vesey.... a 1st and Studnicka is far too much for rental Kreider and debatable as too much for signed Kreider.
Is a rental worth what I just proposed? Probably, if it's a Tavares caliber player. Bjork is more talented than Vesey, I'd agree. Toffoli isn't as good as Kreider and he returned a second and Madden, as well as a conditional pick and Schaller.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Unless something has changed recently, getting into bidding wars and overpaying for rentals is just not in Sakic's DNA as a GM. He has no panic, and his patience is the reason we're set up so well right now and in the future, and why we have the most cap space in the NHL while also moving towards the contender title.

Also, I don't think the Avs are really in danger of falling out of the playoffs. They might not make it as a 1 seed, but at the very, very worst, they'll make it as a wild card team. And even then, I doubt they drop out of one of the top-3 slots in the Central with their upcoming easy schedule.

What he did when the team was rebuilding isn't necessarily the same as what he'll do if the idea is to contend. DNA has nothing to do with it. People said the same exact thing about Chevaldayoff... but once the team was good enough, he made aggressive deadline moves two years in a row.

Not saying that Sakic will do the same, but GMs tend to adjust their approach based on the realities of their team. I don't know that you can say anything about what he will do based on what he has done.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Is a rental worth what I just proposed? Probably, if it's a Tavares caliber player. Bjork is more talented than Vesey, I'd agree. Toffoli isn't as good as Kreider and he returned a second and Madden, as well as a conditional pick and Schaller.

I fully expect the Bruins to trade the 1st plus additional players. I just think that package is too much. The Bruins have two power forward centered in Beecher and Frederic but they are bottom six potential. Studnicka must work out for Boston to replace one or Bergeron or Krejci.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
What’s with Studnicka being untouchable? He’s done nothing to suggest he’s going to be a surefire top 6 guy. From what I’ve seen he should be a good third line center but I don’t see more than that. For a team like Boston who’s heavily reliant on the top line and 2/3 of that line are getting older, I don’t see why they wouldn’t part with Studnicka for another shot at the cup as it could be their last chance for a while anyways.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just can’t see Boston giving up Studnicka.

If the Rangers would settle on Beecher and somehow take the last year of Backes that would probably work wonders from Bosons end.

Their first should certainly be in play. Heinen as well. Bjork’s name I’ve seen floated around too but seems doubtful unless another roster player was coming back.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Still feel like Boston might one stop shop on the west coast when it’s all said and done

I would take Backes to improve the rest of the return if the Bruins retained half on him. Not otherwise.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I would take Backes to improve the rest of the return if the Bruins retained half on him. Not otherwise.
That’s kind of why I feel like Boston will end up out west if they make any moves.

Anaheim specifically.

lots of cap room and Boston’s prospects seem better suited to the western conference style of game. The ones they’d move anyways

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
What he did when the team was rebuilding isn't necessarily the same as what he'll do if the idea is to contend. DNA has nothing to do with it. People said the same exact thing about Chevaldayoff... but once the team was good enough, he made aggressive deadline moves two years in a row.

Not saying that Sakic will do the same, but GMs tend to adjust their approach based on the realities of their team. I don't know that you can say anything about what he will do based on what he has done.
I mean, you're not wrong in thinking that Sakic could change his approach as a GM as the team gets closer to contender status, but I would be shocked if he were to become aggressive enough to trade any players that he sees as being key contributors to the team in the future.

He's said time and time again how his primary goal for the Avs is to get them to where Tampa is, and I think he's well on his way to getting them there. I don't think the organizational depth is where he wants it to be just yet, and that's why I doubt he gets aggressive enough to trade away any of our top end pieces. He wants to set the Avs up for long-term success, not just a year or two of Cup runs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
........because Kreider is this years best TDL target and recent but past TDL deals really have no real bearing on establishing what current deadline prices will be? Competition for TDL players and availability of players does that. We have seen Tofoli already moved. So the pool is even more limited and St. Louis, AVs, Caps and maybe Dallas are lurking.

AVs look to need help due to injuries, St. Louis could block that and with Tarasenko currently out and questionable to return before the playoffs, Kreider would really help them. As stated I think Boston's window is closing, this year they need to keep up with Tampa who took themselves out of the Kreider auction with the Coleman deal. Maybe the Caps get in on Kreider to bulk up.

OTT got a 2017 #15 pick in Brannstrom, an NHL 3C in Lindberg and a Dallas 2nd for Stone. That was a pretty good haul. That;s a top prospect, an NHL player and a 2nd.

Considering Boston's 1st/2nd will be very late......the pick is inconsequential and not the best asset in any deal.....Studnicka/Beecher is. So you have a late pick and top prospect for Kreider, as a base......maybe cap comes back to NY.
I think that is on par with the Stone trade. Maybe you move cap to try and resign Kreider as well. I'd take Heinen/Miller or both as a cap dump if nec..

The hell it is.

Bostons best prospect, only shot at Krecji replacement and a 1st.
That’s clearly more than the Stone trade and Stone is superior player and was the top rental, who Vegas signed right after.

Your #3C is playing in Europe, Trent+1st+ an actual top 9 player is easily worth the same

Good luck with getting teams best prospect+1st

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Newhook is going nowhere, with the Freshman year he's having he has the value of a top 10 pick if not a top 5.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

......ng insane prices here.
An elite 1st line talent broughy back nothing like that.

Toffoli brought back a 2nd and a good prospect.
Now Kreider is bringing

a) higher pick
B) better prospect
C) a roster player as well

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
......ng insane prices here.
An elite 1st line talent broughy back nothing like that.

Toffoli brought back a 2nd and a good prospect.
Now Kreider is bringing

a) higher pick
B) better prospect
C) a roster player as well

Say what you want about the package being offered is an over payment, doesn't make sense, etc., but you keep comparing it to Stone without acknowledging that at the time, Erik Brannstrom was seen as one of the best D prospects not playing in the NHL. He wasn't just a teams top 2 prospect and he was drafted #15 in the first round.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Say what you want about the package being offered is an over payment, doesn't make sense, etc., but you keep comparing it to Stone without acknowledging that at the time, Erik Brannstrom was seen as one of the best D prospects not playing in the NHL. He wasn't just a teams top 2 prospect and he was drafted #15 in the first round.

Nowhere have I said he wasn't a top prospect.

The issue is you guys are demanding more for worse non signed rental.

Bostons best prospect, top6 potential, similar to Bransstroms potential, better pick and a better NHL player.

With your crazy price Sweeney should stay the hell out.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How does one's stock increase that much in half a season of hockey? He was picked 16th, and its not as if he's having a historic season.

Probably because one of the biggest knock on him was playing in a much inferior league and nobody knew how he would translate to a bigger league. Given that after a slower start where he was forced to play on the wing of a guy who isn't a center for some reason (Boldy), he has exploded and put up something like 31 points in 23 games and answered most questionmarks about his game that people had at the draft, his stock certainly has gone up by quite a bit. Certainly enough that including him for a Kreider level player shouldn't even be an option. Especially given that Chris is a rental and that according to rumors Sakic didn't want to trade Newhook for Kreider straight up when Chris had almost an extra year left at the draft.

Newhook was mentioned as a potential top3 pick alongside Hughes 1-1.5 years before the draft. The talent has always been there. Who knows how good he will be on the NHL level but teams don't trade prospects like that unless they are desperate or stupid or trade for a young star player that for some weird reason has become available.

Given that Sakic shouldn't be desperate at all even with these injuries, that he probably shouldn't be considered stupid due to his recent record and that Kreider (or anyone else rumored to be available) is nowhere near the caliber of player necessary, I would be shocked to see Sakic trade him.

He didn't want to give up one of his higher end prospects for Taylor Hall. I would be shocked if he now turns around and does it for freaking Kreider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad