Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I really dont want a play off spot. We are not ready yet. Making the play offs would be a major blow for us as we will struggle to re-sign Kreider so losing good assets we could get from him as well as missing out on a top 10 pick is crucial to finishing to rebuild.

This might be the quintessential HF Boards perspective.....

Personally, if they can resign Kreider to a decent contract I say go for it. He's in his prime, is productive, is a leader, and meshes well with the team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Rangers keep Kreider and make the Playoffs now that they will lean on Shesterkin. He's already elite.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
A late 1st round doesn’t do anything for them. Want a guy who can fill into the roster now plus a A+ prospect who is NHL ready by next season.

Rangers are not going to increase a cup contenders odds of winning the cup by a lot out of the goodness of their hearts.

Taylor Hall did not get that. No rental in recent memory (unless he basically agreed to an extension as part of the deal) has gotten high end prospects in return. Odds are Kreider will be no different.

Kreider will get a 1st and a decent piece (that could be a prospect) in return IMO. Maybe even a bit more. But certainly not a highend one.

I personally hope that he signs a longterm extension with the Rangers asap. Don't want my team to pony up for him.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This boils down to what the rangers see as the value of not having Kreider’s contract on the books. If he wants 7x7 with a full nmc for example, there’s risk there and there’s some value in avoiding that risk.

The return for him will absolutely not replace what he brings, short of a miracle occurring with a late draft pick. He’ll return a late, late first and a B-C level prospect imo. The asks of A prospects are highly unrealistic as much as that sucks.

I say re-sign him. Tell him 7x7 and full nmc is just too much and ask which of those he’s willing to be flexible on. Maybe 5x7 full nmc. Maybe 7x6 full nmc. Maybe 7x7 nmc the first 4 or 5 years. I doubt he’s unwilling to bend at all on any of these things.

I’d keep him, lose Strome and Fast depending what fast wants. See what’s out there for Skjei and maybe Buch if necessary.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really dont want a play off spot. We are not ready yet. Making the play offs would be a major blow for us as we will struggle to re-sign Kreider so losing good assets we could get from him as well as missing out on a top 10 pick is crucial to finishing to rebuild.

I think this is a bit shortsighted. The youngest team in the league going on a huge run at the end of the season--passing several teams to make the playoffs would be a major confidence boost for all those kids. To add you can't take making the playoffs for granted--whether your chances of contending for a cup are good or not overcoming a losing culture from not making the playoffs for year after year that can set in like concrete is a reason to always be going for it. There are teams that are almost permanently rebuilding and a raft of top ten draft picks cannot break them out of that cycle.

I think the Rangers are very much a longshot but being in the race as long as they possibly can shows them they are progressing as individual players and as a team. This is what you should want to see if you're a Rangers fan. Don't put off until tomorrow what can be accomplished today.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
A late 1st round doesn’t do anything for them. Want a guy who can fill into the roster now plus a A+ prospect who is NHL ready by next season.

Rangers are not going to increase a cup contenders odds of winning the cup by a lot out of the goodness of their hearts.

If they acquired a late 1st round pick doesn't need to be used as a draft pick. It's an asset. It can be used to acquire a young top 6 forward with term ( a la Trouba, Fox, Zucker)

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Would rather trade DeAngelo than Kreider. NYR is a young team that needs some form of veteran leadership/playoff experience in the room. Kreider is the perfect age, is still productive and should continuie to be, and has a lot of playoff experience.

Plus moving DeAngelo opens up PP minutes for Trouba and Fox, there's no room for 3 offensive minded RHD on the same team. I'd move him to Toronto for something like Kapanen +

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Would rather trade DeAngelo than Kreider. NYR is a young team that needs some form of veteran leadership/playoff experience in the room. Kreider is the perfect age, is still productive and should continuie to be, and has a lot of playoff experience.

Plus moving DeAngelo opens up PP minutes for Trouba and Fox, there's no room for 3 offensive minded RHD on the same team. I'd move him to Toronto for something like Kapanen +
Lol No.

Lets keep the inconsistent forward with a career high 53 and trade the star offensive dman who will likely have multiple 65 point seasons. Makes a lot of sense!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

I get he probably says no but if Lundquist agreed to go to a Colorado a lot of your problems are solved. Buy out Stall and voila cap room.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I get he probably says no but if Lundquist agreed to go to a Colorado a lot of your problems are solved. Buy out Stall and voila cap room.
Colorado doesn’t want to need Lundqvist. They aren’t going to help the Rangers out with Hank unless the Rags send something in return for taking on his contract.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Colorado doesn’t want to need Lundqvist. They aren’t going to help the Rangers out with Hank unless the Rags send something in return for taking on his contract.
It ain't happening as Hank ain't leaving. But to whatever team if Rangers retained say 2 million traded Hank and Stall is bought out. They might might be able to keep DeAngelo Krieder and let say Strome go for picks. I don't see it happening but it is optimal solution.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It ain't happening as Hank ain't leaving. But to whatever team if Rangers retained say 2 million traded Hank and Stall is bought out. They might might be able to keep DeAngelo Krieder and let say Strome go for picks. I don't see it happening but it is optimal solution.
I’m not aware of their situation; I was just commenting on the idea of Hank being traded to Colorado. Colorado doesn’t need an old goalie or a guy like Strome, so if the Rags do end up going with your plan, I don’t see Colorado being involved. The Avs are reportedly only interested in Kreider.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Lol No.

Lets keep the inconsistent forward with a career high 53 and trade the star offensive dman who will likely have multiple 65 point seasons. Makes a lot of sense!

Firstly, Kreider will have constantly deflated stats relative to his value because he plays net front on the PP and never gets any touches. I can recall at least 10 different Zibanejad snipes where the goalie had no chance because Kreider was in front screening. The Rangers first unit PP is predicated on having Kreider in front of the net which completely deflates his point total when you have snipers like Panarin and Mika going top shelf on 90% of their shots.

Second, I'm extremely high on Adam Fox and I think his ceiling is higher than DeAngelos. I love DeAngelo but you just cant structure a d-corp with 3 of the same type of player on the right side; there's just not enough PP time to go around and Trouba (you know, the dude we signed for $8M a year) is most effective bombing away from point on the PP. DeAngelo could net us a haul and we may have to trade him anyway depending on his ask

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I want the Bruins to offer Heinen and the 1st (perhaps they have and it didn't work) for Kreider and then sign a multi year extension.

Kreider is the missing piece. He provides everything the Bruins have needed for a half decade on Krejci's wing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They have made up 1 point on the canes and jackets over the last 10 it ain’t going to happen.

The math is not in their favour.

They have to go on a stupid good run (say something along the lines of 17-4-4, which gets them to 101 points) and hope two of the teams ahead of them falter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad