Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If nothing else, the Rangers having a realistic shot at the playoffs could drive Kreider's price up. Because that makes it that much more believable they'll keep him if they don't get what they want, thus, the offers could easily get bigger.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
blueshirts should extend him. May become a big mistake if they don't. The guy is a physical freak that could have 4-5 years of prime time power forward seasons. Not sure if magic prospects can beat that. Figure out the cap issues in the summer. The rangers always do anyway....

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I would love it if the Rangers can make the playoffs. If anything, if they are realistically close enough by deadline (win the next 3 of 4). They can at least tell teams that they need a really good offer or they will keep him for the playoff run.

Yes, I would love a top 7 draft pick but I also think the team needs a winning mentality. Igor was named the starter and you have young guys all over the lineup. If they can push for a playoff spot while keeping Kreider, it will be a huge momentum boost for development next year (Even if it costs us not getting a first in the late 20s by not trading Kreider).

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I would love it if the Rangers can make the playoffs. If anything, if they are realistically close enough by deadline (win the next 3 of 4). They can at least tell teams that they need a really good offer or they will keep him for the playoff run.

Yes, I would love a top 7 draft pick but I also think the team needs a winning mentality. Igor was named the starter and you have young guys all over the lineup. If they can push for a playoff spot while keeping Kreider, it will be a huge momentum boost for development next year (Even if it costs us not getting a first in the late 20s by not trading Kreider).

rushing to get that “winning mentality” at the expense of the rebuild isn’t going to lead to much winning when it matters most.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland

I really dont want a play off spot. We are not ready yet. Making the play offs would be a major blow for us as we will struggle to re-sign Kreider so losing good assets we could get from him as well as missing out on a top 10 pick is crucial to finishing to rebuild.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seven points out with a month and half of season left IS close.

They can probably catch Columbus due to their injuries but there is no reason 3 of Philly, Carolina, Toronto, and Florida will fall off their pace enough for New York to pass them and that's what it would take. 3 of those 4 have to falter.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
21% chance of making playoffs. They ain’t making it.

Obviously the odds are against it, but their chances are a lot better today than they were a few weeks ago.

We're 7 points back, but we have 1 or 2 games in hand on many of the teams we are chasing, and there are plenty of divisional games left.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They can probably catch Columbus due to their injuries but there is no reason 3 of Philly, Carolina, Toronto, and Florida will fall off their pace enough for New York to pass them and that's what it would take. 3 of those 4 have to falter.

The Rangers have 3 games remaining against Philly, with back to back games at the end of the month. If the Rangers can win both of those games and hold serve in the others, it's a completely different story.

Carolina is 5 points ahead of the Rangers with the same number of games played. Florida is 2 points ahead, with the same number of games played. Toronto is 4 points ahead, but the Rangers have a game in hand.

Over the last 10 games, the Rangers have a better record than all those teams except Philly.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not good enough. They'll resign him soon.
Fir a rebuilding team, it would be going backwards to resign Kreider now. Trade him for futures and resign him in the summer.
And for a rental, that’s a very good return. There could be a conditional pick attached if he extends with his new team.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider will get the Rangers a first (20 to 31), and a grade A prospect.

A late 1st round doesn’t do anything for them. Want a guy who can fill into the roster now plus a A+ prospect who is NHL ready by next season.

Rangers are not going to increase a cup contenders odds of winning the cup by a lot out of the goodness of their hearts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If they are going to re-sign him then what is the cost likely to be? Hes 28 years old and has been pretty productive for a lot of his career. He would probably give a little bit of a discount there no? I think it will depend on what the value is that a trade would give them because if they think that's better than re-signing a 28 year old player to likely a long term deal then they likely go that route. Although I feel like he could be a guy that will want to stay there so maybe they wont trade him. Could be there best captain.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Number of teams you have to pass is more important that points back.

They would have to pass Florida, Carolina and Columbus.
Florida and Columbus are not the scary teams to pass. One of Carolina or Philadelphia seems to be the harder path.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A late 1st round doesn’t do anything for them. Want a guy who can fill into the roster now plus a A+ prospect who is NHL ready by next season.

Rangers are not going to increase a cup contenders odds of winning the cup by a lot out of the goodness of their hearts.
Do they get nothing, and Kreider leaves as a UFA? Or they resign Kreider, and continue losing?

Reactions: UnSandvich

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The Rangers have 3 games remaining against Philly, with back to back games at the end of the month. If the Rangers can win both of those games and hold serve in the others, it's a completely different story.

Carolina is 5 points ahead of the Rangers with the same number of games played. Florida is 2 points ahead, with the same number of games played. Toronto is 4 points ahead, but the Rangers have a game in hand.

Over the last 10 games, the Rangers have a better record than all those teams except Philly.

They have made up 1 point on the canes and jackets over the last 10 it ain’t going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad