Proposal: Rangers/Leafs

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Also Leafs have no cap space to sign Alex Georgiyev. Maybe switch Anderson with Campbell. I'm not sure if Anderson will be back with the Leafs after next season

Leafs have no cap space to sign Dermott either...

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I know free agency is mostly over and teams have made a lot of their moves, but I still think there's a deal that could be made to help both teams.

Rangers Receive: Travis Dermott and Jack Campbell

Leafs Receive: Alex Georgiyev

The Rangers need a left-sided defenseman who can play games next season. The Leafs don't really need Dermott. He'd be third pair, at best, next season and where's his spot long-term? Campbell is an okay back up. Gives the Rangers a #2 goalie that can spell Shestyorkin occasionally. Leafs don't need so many back up goalies, so its not big loss if you receive a better goalie.

Leafs receive Georgiyev who long-term has the biggest upside for their team of any of these players. Dermott's going to be crowded out and Campbell's only there as a veteran back up. Neither will make any big impact. Georgiyev could. If he plays well in a back up role or even splitting games with Andersen, they can install him as the starter or at least the 1A guy going into a season where Andersen reaches UFA. Georgiyev is only 24. He could be their long-term starter. Cap also most likely will be pretty even with this deal.

Hell of a deal for Rangers. LOL

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
or Toronto does eight skaters if Dermott is that good this year.
Its possible. Leafs would have to say goodbye to Hyman or at least let him hit free agency. And Engvall didn't progress this year and you lose him potentially.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
If Anderson is dealt Georgiev is very high on my list and I would be interested in that scenario. However currently the backup situation isn't a concern. I like the general thought process behind it .

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its possible. Leafs would have to say goodbye to Hyman or at least let him hit free agency. And Engvall didn't progress this year and you lose him potentially.

Hyman hitting free agency isn't the biggest issue. He's a very good complimentary player. In Toronto, he's got an ideal fit, between him and the Leafs players. How many times have we seen similar complimentary players move, and suddenly fall back down to earth? Guys on Crosby's wings for example? Hyman is probably best staying put, even if he sits as a free agent for a bit, and then resigns, with a under the table agreement. Engvall really didn't progress much at all.... I think there were hopes that he could become a C option for the team, but he doesn't look that good there. I'm actually surprised that we haven't tried to move him, and then sign someone a little cheaper to be honest... but, given the current environment, I can't see the demand being very high either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
According to CapFriendly, the Leafs have just $400k in cap space... though I suppose some of the players on the roster will be sent to the Marlies

The CapFriendly "roster" isn't very representative of what will "likely" be the opening roster. For example, Sandin, Liljegren and Rosen are unlikely to start with the Leafs, while Lehtonen will. Also keep in mind, Brandon Pridham, Leafs Asst GM, worked for the league at one point, creating and enforcing the Salary Cap, as it currently is constructed, so they know the ins and outs, of working the system.

Reactions: qqaz

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I know free agency is mostly over and teams have made a lot of their moves, but I still think there's a deal that could be made to help both teams.

The Rangers need a left-sided defenseman who can play games next season. The Leafs don't really need Dermott. He'd be third pair, at best, next season and where's his spot long-term? Campbell is an okay back up. Gives the Rangers a #2 goalie that can spell Shestyorkin occasionally. Leafs don't need so many back up goalies, so its not big loss if you receive a better goalie.

Leafs receive Georgiyev who long-term has the biggest upside for their team of any of these players. Dermott's going to be crowded out and Campbell's only there as a veteran back up. Neither will make any big impact. Georgiyev could. If he plays well in a back up role or even splitting games with Andersen, they can install him as the starter or at least the 1A guy going into a season where Andersen reaches UFA. Georgiyev is only 24. He could be their long-term starter. Cap also most likely will be pretty even with this deal.

Dude, get it through your head. One, the Rangers don't need to trade for any defenseman. Two, they are not dealing Georgiev until they have complete confidence that another goalie in the system can win games for them if Shesterkin is hurt. So this trade is absurd. No, they don't need a left side defenseman. They have Lindgren. Hajek will be better than last year and he held his own last year. They just signed two vets for cheap. Reunanen almost made the team last year. Miller has a chance to quickly get ready in the AHL though I think he's a year away.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also Leafs have no cap space to sign Alex Georgiyev. Maybe switch Anderson with Campbell. I'm not sure if Anderson will be back with the Leafs after next season

He has an arbitration hearing. He doesn't need a long term deal. The cap likely evens out between the teams. The Rangers can't take on significant cap without getting significantly better either.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
His cap hit is expected to be 1 -1 25, he can fit ..
This seems light to me. I would expect a 23 year old that is being described as a top 4 dman would get more that $1-$1.25. Joshua Brown got 2 years at $1.5 per. I sort of had Dermott as a $1.75-$2 type deal. I get that it's not a big difference but given the Leafs cap situation it could make a difference.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This seems light to me. I would expect a 23 year old that is being described as a top 4 dman would get more that $1-$1.25. Joshua Brown got 2 years at $1.5 per. I sort of had Dermott as a $1.75-$2 type deal. I get that it's not a big difference but given the Leafs cap situation it could make a difference.

Hes excelled on the 3rd in very sheltered minutes, but his lack of minutes, high leverage situations in addition to the lack of points caps his current earnings potential imo. His QO was 900 k , rumors are he is asking 1.5 , so likely ends up in the middle. Hes a local guy maybe he takes less? Otherwise could be dealt.

Reactions: qqaz

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
According to CapFriendly, the Leafs have just $400k in cap space... though I suppose some of the players on the roster will be sent to the Marlies
Yup, there's a bunch of guys who will be cut in the bottom 6 forward group and another Dman as well. The Leafs may go with the minimum 20 man roster too. There'll be money to sign Mikheyev and Dermott, that's not really a concern.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He could be a #4 right now but is still going to be on the 3rd pair, as he has been the last few seasons(17 minutes/game). He'll get paid one day, just not right now.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Just a short while ago I presented something around Dermott for Georgiev and got completely shut down, now from a rangers fan it’s a go...

Look I like taking the upside of Georgiev and his age provided he is looking for a two year prove me deal around 2 million.

I think it’s a overpayment from the leafs but understand the Rangers would want a competent back up returning whom they could expose. Not sure what I feel would balance the ledger.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad