Proposal: Rangers/Leafs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know free agency is mostly over and teams have made a lot of their moves, but I still think there's a deal that could be made to help both teams.

Rangers Receive: Travis Dermott and Jack Campbell

Leafs Receive: Alex Georgiyev

The Rangers need a left-sided defenseman who can play games next season. The Leafs don't really need Dermott. He'd be third pair, at best, next season and where's his spot long-term? Campbell is an okay back up. Gives the Rangers a #2 goalie that can spell Shestyorkin occasionally. Leafs don't need so many back up goalies, so its not big loss if you receive a better goalie.

Leafs receive Georgiyev who long-term has the biggest upside for their team of any of these players. Dermott's going to be crowded out and Campbell's only there as a veteran back up. Neither will make any big impact. Georgiyev could. If he plays well in a back up role or even splitting games with Andersen, they can install him as the starter or at least the 1A guy going into a season where Andersen reaches UFA. Georgiyev is only 24. He could be their long-term starter. Cap also most likely will be pretty even with this deal.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I know free agency is mostly over and teams have made a lot of their moves, but I still think there's a deal that could be made to help both teams.

The Rangers need a left-sided defenseman who can play games next season. The Leafs don't really need Dermott. He'd be third pair, at best, next season and where's his spot long-term? Campbell is an okay back up. Gives the Rangers a #2 goalie that can spell Shestyorkin occasionally. Leafs don't need so many back up goalies, so its not big loss if you receive a better goalie.

Leafs receive Georgiyev who long-term has the biggest upside for their team of any of these players. Dermott's going to be crowded out and Campbell's only there as a veteran back up. Neither will make any big impact. Georgiyev could. If he plays well in a back up role or even splitting games with Andersen, they can install him as the starter or at least the 1A guy going into a season where Andersen reaches UFA. Georgiyev is only 24. He could be their long-term starter. Cap also most likely will be pretty even with this deal.
Im not a Leaf-fan but I can honestly not see the point here.
They give up a D-man who can play in NHL and they downgrade/stay att the same level in goaltending for a goalie who does have the same ceiling as Soup....
It is Na dawg

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dermott is only 23 and has crushed the easy competition he's faced in his career so far. He's supposed to be playing the right side this season and I doubt the Leafs move him before they see if he can handle a step up in opposition. His long-term position may very well be in the top 4 besides Rielly or Muzzin. Not worth giving up on him for that goalie swap.

Reactions: qqaz and Morgs

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I don't particularly mind it as a Leafs fan. I think Georgiev gives the Leafs more of a chance at having their next starter than Campbell. I also think Dermott is pretty much what he is going to be at this point. I'm not sure he has a for sure place on the Leafs going forward unless he takes a big step forward.

That said, I don't think the Leafs brass would do this as Dubas is very high on Dermott.

Reactions: LastOne2100

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

why would the Rangers do this

they don't have to trade Georgiev. at least spell his name correctly

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If Leafs can get decent value trading Andersen I would throw a few picks for Georgiev but I wouldn't want to give up Dermott to swap Campbell and Georgiev.

I think the Georgiev ship has sailed with NYR wanting to go 1A/1B with their goaltending

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Do we know what their next salaries will be? As long as Dermott isn't signed at premium, it sounds like great deal for NYR.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I would be willing to deal Dermott for picks and or prospects. I would do it for picks but with heavy conditions.
Base it around 2022 picks and have conditions both ways.
I would have conditions based on avg TOI and level of play. They would determine the protection level of the pick.
Lets say Dermott plays 20 mins a night of solid 2 way hockey and puts up 25-30 points that gets us a top 10 protected 2022 1st, the protection level scales back to top 20 protected. If Dermott plays well but the 1st is too high the Leafs get 2 2nds. If Dermott doesn't play well the Leafs get 1 2nd.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Good proposal in terms of value and need.

I think both teams are happy with the respective players though and wouldn’t ultimately do this.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
even with several guys fighting for the 5/6 D spots Leafs aren't in a position to move nhl calibre D.

Back up goalies have never been easier to acquire.. certainly wouldnt move a nhl skater for one

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Dermott seem like rather a higher price. I think the Leafs would go after a 3rd C or a RHD, if they are going to trade Dermott

Raymond foley

Jan 26, 2018

No!!!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I don't trust Georgiev to be the 1 in Toronto and ergo pass if Leafs. But for sure if you thought by the 21-22 season Georgiev is the guy Toronto should consider. Dermott in the next 12 months has to get traded else he is lost in ED.

Reactions: Funk21

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... at least spell his name correctly

To be clear, I spelled his name correctly.

no offense intended, but IMHO one of the biggest wastes of energy is arguing about proper spelling of a name (or word) in an alternate alphabet

Ranger fans debated Shesterkin vs Shestyorkin for 5 years, from draft day until NYR finally signed him, and declared the jersey spelling they would use

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Also Leafs have no cap space to sign Alex Georgiyev. Maybe switch Anderson with Campbell. I'm not sure if Anderson will be back with the Leafs after next season

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't trust Georgiev to be the 1 in Toronto and ergo pass if Leafs. But for sure if you thought by the 21-22 season Georgiev is the guy Toronto should consider. Dermott in the next 12 months has to get traded else he is lost in ED.

or Toronto does eight skaters if Dermott is that good this year.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad