Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders -- 4/9/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I’d love to experiment with Kravtsov at C between Laf and Kakko. Put Chytil on the wing with Buch and Zib for a game and see how it goes.

I wouldn't mind a few games of a "Kravtsov at C" experiment, but if we were to do it, I'd use the opportunity to address some other problems as well. Chytil played well with Kreider and Buch last season. I'd run with this as the top 9:

Panarin/Zib/Strome
Kreider/Chytil/Buch
Laf/Krav/Kakko
4th line

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Brendan Smith having himself a night LMAO

They spend a lot of time with the 4th line and he 4th line was really good tonight.

he was horrific with turnovers again.no clue how he is high on your chart. I think your calculations got messed up somewhere.

otherwise u just proved how useless advanced stats are.

and the kid line graded out as mediocre... yet they were arguably the best line out there.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This might be top 5 stupidest things I've ever said on this board but could the Rangers get a first round pick for Colin Blackwell?? This guys on a leage minimum contract this season and the next and is scoring way beyond that level. Have to think some team going all in would love to have a guy like that this year and the next. Its like the devils getting a first for Blake Coleman last year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Getting out to a 2-0 lead was important. Sunday’s game it’s going to be important not to be chasing the game because the isles can shut you right down. Rangers aren’t good at chasing games anyway.

I thought Chytil’s line was our best tonight and more often than not they were out against Barzal’s line. I thought both Lafreniere and Kakko were outstanding. Kravtsov looked terrific too. You can see he’s getting more confident with every game and the 4th line is looking more and more dangerous.

It’s always great to beat the Islanders.
Missed the game had to work. Glad they won. How’d the kids look? Just saw the box score

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Considering less than a decade ago he was toiling behind a 5'4" player on Chekhov goon squad, he's come an incredibly long way, to now a consistent Hart trophy consideration.

Talk about your late bloomers.

I'm amazed how he went from great player with Columbus and Chicago to an elite player with us. Was Torts holding him back?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
upload_2021-4-10_0-35-55.png

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really, REALLY like what I see in Kravstov so far. The kid can play. Size, hands, awareness and good hustle.

Later in the third below the goal line, he made a move and great short pass out to I think Rooney who just couldn't handle that silk, if it were anyone in our top 6 it would have been in the back of the net.
That whole sequence by Kravtsov was Banderas-good.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Considering less than a decade ago he was toiling behind a 5'4" player on Chekhov goon squad, he's come an incredibly long way, to now a consistent Hart trophy consideration.

Talk about your late bloomers.
His 2019-20 season was low key one of the best seasons post-lockout. 5v5 1.44 RelTM G+/- per 60. The second-highest on our team last year was Fox with like 0.75 RelTM G+/- per 60. Let me repeat that: Panarin’s relative goal differential was DOUBLE our next-best player.

Look at this shit below, no one else is even remotely close to him. They’re all descending by increments of, like, 0.2, and Panarin has f***ing 4.5 over the next guy. That’s the same size gap between like #2 and #22.

upload_2021-4-10_0-42-12.png

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
he was horrific with turnovers again.no clue how he is high on your chart. I think your calculations got messed up somewhere.

otherwise u just proved how useless advanced stats are.

and the kid line graded out as mediocre... yet they were arguably the best line out there.
Yes, this one sample of Smith playing like 14 minutes proves how useless stats are.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like Kravtsov with Rooney and Howden, he knows he’s the best player on that line so he’s taking command. He’s trusting his skill to make the plays happen, rather then deferring. It’s a great mindset to have, especially once he moves back up in he lineup.

I really, REALLY like what I see in Kravstov so far. The kid can play. Size, hands, awareness and good hustle.

Later in the third below the goal line, he made a move and great short pass out to I think Rooney who just couldn't handle that silk, if it were anyone in our top 6 it would have been in the back of the net.

I think that really benefited the kids. They got to roll lines and no one got stuck on the bench for a long time.

Another game where we got a glimpse of what the future could be.

Really impressed with Kravtsov. Set up Howden and Rooney several times. They really should think of trying him at C at some point. he's so gifted. And he's done a great, great job at finding space for a young kid. He's faster than Kakko and Laf and you can see it. Just really impressed with him.

Last bunch of games Kakko has gotten an assist and has threatened for more. In addition to his one assist, he made a big play that led to K'Andre's goal.

KZB was okay at best. Z is back to being foggy out there. He scored a goal but didn't look great. And Buch was really forcing his passes too much. Kreider's speed and defensive play was a great contribution.

The number one issue with our young goalies (and really with all goalies) is battling to see shots through bodies. The long shots kill us because our D is mediocre at shot blocking and crease clearing. A lot of the goals that get scored on us are the long shot, tips/screens/rebounds variety. As we get deeper on the blue line the hope is some of that goes away.

Finally, I did not realize the Islanders play that fast. Wow, the pace was elevated compared to the PGH games.

I’d love to experiment with Kravtsov at C between Laf and Kakko. Put Chytil on the wing with Buch and Zib for a game and see how it goes.

yours truly -- a case can be made I am being improperly ostracized from the roster building thread b'c I spoke the truth about Nieves, a posture to which most disagreed but respected my right to this opinion --- was ridiculed by most here for saying WAY WAY WAY ahead of the curve, that Kravtsov had everything to possibly succeed at pivot. Then I further qualified that by specifying I was not saying day 1 in a vacuum VK could pivot any line with anyone well [tho that might be a possibility] -- I said he would work very well and create a dominant line with Kakko and Panarin as Ws. (Those 2 already confirmed they have chemistry.)

NO, NO, NO said the detractors.
Not possible.
Creative thinking outside the box, even if it was only an experiment, no we don't dare even think about going there, let alone actually try it.

They let VK start at W to get his feet wet, fine.
The above posts PROVE THAT I WAS RIGHT!!!!!

Krav has most of Kreider's speed and adequate++ strength while having much more vision, lateral skating, passing and scoring skill.

I am doubling down and saying again, if they listen to me and give that line a try, they won't be disappointed, it will work well, and against most lines, dominate.

We need to stop this foolishness about 'we ONLY trade our top vets Strome and Buch IF we get a top C prospect who is so can't miss he's almost in a lineup already.'
1. That is unrealistic, rarely happens, such assets are usually kept/not available.
2. If we get adequate profit of picks [which are universally accepted currency, btw] as surplus of value for our vets, we can then have GMJG apply new found skill to draft very well = huge profit, just requires a little bit of patience. [case in point is Barron, a 6th round pick]
We are still recovering from win now stupidity and desperation.
One, maybe two more good solid drafts THEN we will have such a surplus we can indulge consolidation splurges.

Avoid the clickbait Eichel move which adds 10m+ which = structural cap probs. Eichel $$ can't come here unless/until Trouba is dealt.
NOW, who thinks including Kravtsov in an Eich deal is such a good idea?

Listen to bern, play/develop the kids.
Listen to bern: no giving up too quick on Chytil, Kakko, LaF, Hajek

I know most of this board has good will in its heart for me.
Love is given, respect is earned.
Love is optional. I deserve the respect.

I extend likewise the good vibes received from most.
The vocal handful who want to argue EVERYTHING with me, who can't admit water is wet --- and you know who you are -- take your comeuppance in the face of this rebuke.
He who laughs last laughs best.

I wouldn't mind a few games of a "Kravtsov at C" experiment, but if we were to do it, I'd use the opportunity to address some other problems as well. Chytil played well with Kreider and Buch last season. I'd run with this as the top 9:

Panarin/Zib/Strome
Kreider/Chytil/Buch
Laf/Krav/Kakko
4th line

Not bad, but here is my current thinking:

LW - C - RW
Kakko - Krav - Panarin
Kreider - Zib - Blackwell
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
PDG - Blackwell - Gettinger

give Barron 4 games cup o coffee that does not apply an elc yr
next yr, can see if Barron is ready for top line day 1 or if he needs to wade in. If yes, he takes 2RW, Blackwell then to 4th line.

Deal them all.
Give Wall 4 games cup o coffee, ride shesty w/relief from Kink
deal Geo.

Deal Buch, Strome, Howden Smith
give mins to the kids, get a jump on next season

We can go barely to 9 on Zib IF IF IF he takes only 4 yrs extension on top of the final yr on his deal. That is the hard line in the sand. Not 5 or more years. 4. And if we are willing to put that contract extension in writing immediately, I want him signing on immediately.
If that happens great.
If not, sell high as a rental.
No excessively long term deals into the mid 30s.

---------------

This might be top 5 stupidest things I've ever said on this board but could the Rangers get a first round pick for Colin Blackwell?? This guys on a leage minimum contract this season and the next and is scoring way beyond that level. Have to think some team going all in would love to have a guy like that this year and the next. Its like the devils getting a first for Blake Coleman last year.

I proposed Blackwell + Rooney, 2 guys at or barely above min thru next season for 2 2nds, one of which was delayed. It was not well received by either this base or EDM's.

Maybe we keep Blackie and package Rooney w/DPG? Or Howden?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Have Quinn considered 10-16-74?

id really like

KZB
Bread - Strome - Kravtsov
Laf - Chytil - Kakko
Howden/WarmBody - Rooney - Blackwell/WarmBody

Shesty in net all games but Isles and Leafs, then let Geo do what he does

Status
Not open for further replies.