Rangers interview with Gallant

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
No-brainer to pick Gallant. Does he have some behavioural issues or why is he always available?
Likely due to clashes with the front office in his past jobs in Columbus, Florida, and Vegas.

Definitely not something that would prevent me from hiring him, but I can see why NHL GMs would be wary of him if this is true.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't the Rangers fire their GM too? Are they interviewing a coaching candidate without a GM?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
My lasting memory of Gerard Gallant will always be his goal celebrations after scoring. Sadly, I can't find a gif.
f22fc7a1fb379a008b2a3066f410f0cd--detroit-red-wings-sport.jpg

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Gallant does what he wants, no matter what owners/others say.

Best coach + Best drama is win win for average hockey fans.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I doubt it. Expansion team was 4 second lines. Panthers had a very good roster actually. Good coach is the one that takes a shitty roster on paper and make them excel like Torts, or Trotz. In other scenarios anybody random from this forum that knows a thing or two could get similar results. People in this day and age follow what is popular and don't see the full picture. Same thing is with goalies that play in front of very good D man (and I praised like gods), but once moved to a bad team those goalies suck.
First of all, don't attribute me to any of that stuff you said outside of this topic. You don't know what my opinion is on that.
Second of all, that expansion team with 4 second lines were only thought of as such after they started winning. Nobody after the expansion draft said they had 4 second lines.
Third of all, I'm a Panthers fan. I'm guessing you weren't following this team hardly at all 6 years ago when Gallant came in, and the intricate dynamics of that roster and team at the time. Not to mention that whatever hindsight opinion you might have on that roster now, the season before Gallant came in, they were next to last in the standings with pretty much the same roster. And everyone was shitting on the roster before Gallant came in.
And you bring up Trotz, that's exactly what Gallant did. That team was a train wreck defensively before he came in. And turned into an excellent defensive team when he showed up.
And one of the dumbest things that people say on here is how random people on this forum can do the job of people in the NHL. There is 31 teams in the NHL, at the end of the season there's only going to be one truly happy fanbase. Every other fanbase is going to think their team is a screw up to various degrees. Gives them the illusion, "damn, I could do better...".
And rosters on paper are not as far apart as people may think. Everybody's got talent. What separates teams is organizational structure, and how it's run from top to bottom. Rosters are finished products to a lot of hard work behind the scenes. That includes team practice. Names on the back of the jersey don't mean shit if you can't get it to work well together. And those names on the back of the jersey only get good after they've gone to a well run organization, and put in a position to succeed, outside of a few exceptions.
And lastly, I don't know what people think bad is, but this Ranger's roster is not the worst, most awful thing that's ever been seen. The right coach can definitely make them really good.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Likely due to clashes with the front office in his past jobs in Columbus, Florida, and Vegas.

Definitely not something that would prevent me from hiring him, but I can see why NHL GMs would be wary of him if this is true.

Can't speak of Florida or Vegas but he didn't clash with front office people in Columbus. He just had an awful team.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Contrary to popular belief, Gallant isn't a great coach. Or should i say, the actual coaching part of it is lacking. He's a great guy though and players like him. But he's sort of a one-trick pony coach' edition.

He lets the players play. He gets them competing which works particularly well when the team already has a chip on their shoulder. He wants his team to attack which is fun.

But when it comes down to adjustments, strategies, shaking lines and all that, i don't feel like he has much to offer. You'll be hearing a lot of "just work hard and compete hard" as tonight's gameplan, or "we don't really worry about them we worry about us". As soon as he finds his lines he's going to stick to them as much as possible. Which again is good for guys to gain chemistry, but when there comes a time things don't work.. we'll, just work harder.

Basically there's a good chance a team like the Rangers would enjoy playing for him. Guys likely perform well individually. Players enjoy playing and you'll see their confidence as a group grow. But unless they win the cup, someone in the playoffs can put a dent in that and once someone has the upper hand it's pretty much over.

There's been a notable difference in Vegas since they got DeBoer, who is more tactically adept and has more depth to his message depending on the situation. Since the magical first season, they were very inconsistent under Gallant and lost a lot of games to teams they should not have as the message got a bit stale. Panthers had the same feel with them following that division title season.

DeBoer's record in the regular season with this team is 56-19-4 and they've been extremely consistent mostly without any extra motivating factors, minus the short time after last years coaching change. They feel like a more mature and reliable hockey team, in this years series against the Avs who kicked their asses a couple times, we always saw subtle adjustments and tactical changes how to do better against a team that was visibly stronger. If i think back to the SCF series vs Washington, i didn't think much was happening to try and turn the tides after it was clear "our game" wasn't going to get it done.

So yeah, that's my personal opinion at least based on what i've seen. Im not saying it's a bad hire. Probably what the Rangers want right now is to catch lightning in a bottle. And some guys can gain confidence on a personal level which only helps their careers. I'd be expecting a fun first year, maybe two, but unless he's evolved as a coach, i wouldn't expect him to work out as a long-term.
So he's Joel Quenneville.

Funny they are two of the most revered coaches in the league.

Either way, a system that works alright and players that play hard for their coach seems to beat systems that are more refined and elaborate but to which players won't respond to as well.

It's the never-ending players' coach vs systems coach debate. And it seems to go back and forth.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Gallant must have the worst reputation among the GMs in the league. He is treated unfairly in Florida even though that team was playing great and dismissed in a terrible manner. Then he goes to an expension team, brings them to the Finals. And then fired. And has never worked since. W T F

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think Claude Julien should be the Rangers coach. I doubt Gallant will work out with the Rangers because, he will have the same problems as he did with Vegas, Columbus and Florida but worse.

It'll likely work out better for him in Vancouver considering he'll get the benefit of the doubt over Benning and would likely last longer, but that is if Vancouver moves on from Green.

Julien would be the best fit for the Rangers, that's what I believe.

Gallant wouldn't touch Vancouver with a ten foot cattle prod...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Gallant is a great coach. But how will he fit with Dolan?

Isn't it common knowledge that he and management/executives don't get along?

He would probably do better with a more passive ownership/management structure.

I think Bruce Boudreau is a better fit than Gallant for the Rangers.
It’s well documented that Boudreau’s best fit is with a bucket of KFC.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I guess they announced the hire pretty much at the same time as the firing then.

I knew it couldn't be right that they are looking at a coach without a GM.
Yep. I think those events happened concurrently, or just after one another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad