Rangers interview with Gallant

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Contrary to popular belief, Gallant isn't a great coach. Or should i say, the actual coaching part of it is lacking. He's a great guy though and players like him. But he's sort of a one-trick pony coach' edition.

He lets the players play. He gets them competing which works particularly well when the team already has a chip on their shoulder. He wants his team to attack which is fun.

But when it comes down to adjustments, strategies, shaking lines and all that, i don't feel like he has much to offer. You'll be hearing a lot of "just work hard and compete hard" as tonight's gameplan, or "we don't really worry about them we worry about us". As soon as he finds his lines he's going to stick to them as much as possible. Which again is good for guys to gain chemistry, but when there comes a time things don't work.. we'll, just work harder.

Basically there's a good chance a team like the Rangers would enjoy playing for him. Guys likely perform well individually. Players enjoy playing and you'll see their confidence as a group grow. But unless they win the cup, someone in the playoffs can put a dent in that and once someone has the upper hand it's pretty much over.

There's been a notable difference in Vegas since they got DeBoer, who is more tactically adept and has more depth to his message depending on the situation. Since the magical first season, they were very inconsistent under Gallant and lost a lot of games to teams they should not have as the message got a bit stale. Panthers had the same feel with them following that division title season.

DeBoer's record in the regular season with this team is 56-19-4 and they've been extremely consistent mostly without any extra motivating factors, minus the short time after last years coaching change. They feel like a more mature and reliable hockey team, in this years series against the Avs who kicked their asses a couple times, we always saw subtle adjustments and tactical changes how to do better against a team that was visibly stronger. If i think back to the SCF series vs Washington, i didn't think much was happening to try and turn the tides after it was clear "our game" wasn't going to get it done.

So yeah, that's my personal opinion at least based on what i've seen. Im not saying it's a bad hire. Probably what the Rangers want right now is to catch lightning in a bottle. And some guys can gain confidence on a personal level which only helps their careers. I'd be expecting a fun first year, maybe two, but unless he's evolved as a coach, i wouldn't expect him to work out as a long-term.

I can definitely understand this POV. I find it really strange that Florida AND Vegas (not to mention taking an expansion team to the finals in its first year no less) is fired with relative ease. There must be something about him that upper managements are seeing that’s lacking. I don’t know gallant, I don’t know how he coaches, but I think the poster I quoted makes a lot of sense. Great guy, but as the poster above says, as a tactician, not very good.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I can definitely understand this POV. I find it really strange that Florida AND Vegas (not to mention taking an expansion team to the finals in its first year no less) is fired with relative ease. There must be something about him that upper managements are seeing that’s lacking. I don’t know gallant, I don’t know how he coaches, but I think the poster I quoted makes a lot of sense. Great guy, but as the poster above says, as a tactician, not very good.
The story with Florida at least involves their minority owner texting him line combos mid game and insisting he try them, so I wouldn’t put much stock in that weird disaster

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Yeah, i think in both cases you're looking at a situation where the ownership got taste of success, saw the potential in their team, and once things took a step backwards they got frustrated that the team was just trying the same things over and over again. You're expecting your coach to get the most out of the group, and clearly they thought Gallant got worse with that over time. To do so well right off the bat is sort of his curse, it's hard to meet those expectations.

Florida's case wasn't just him obviously, but Vegas gave him some time at least. When they fired him, i definitely saw their angle and felt like it was the right decision and it circles back to the potential. You saw Vegas have some dominant performances then a week later think to yourself why are they losing these games. I watch a lot of post-game interviews from all teams and it honestly got tiring how he always had the same things to say. It didn't feel like the group was getting the most out of themselves and the GM said as much.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I was hoping the Pens would hire Gallant after they fire Sullivan following another round-1 playoff exit where Sullivan fails to make the proper (or any) adjustments and is outcoached again.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, i think in both cases you're looking at a situation where the ownership got taste of success, saw the potential in their team, and once things took a step backwards they got frustrated that the team was just trying the same things over and over again. You're expecting your coach to get the most out of the group, and clearly they thought Gallant got worse with that over time. To do so well right off the bat is sort of his curse, it's hard to meet those expectations.

Florida's case wasn't just him obviously, but Vegas gave him some time at least. When they fired him, i definitely saw their angle and felt like it was the right decision and it circles back to the potential. You saw Vegas have some dominant performances then a week later think to yourself why are they losing these games. I watch a lot of post-game interviews from all teams and it honestly got tiring how he always had the same things to say. It didn't feel like the group was getting the most out of themselves and the GM said as much.
Honestly, if they don’t keep him too long after things get stale, the rangers could use that. They need someone to teach them how to play and have success as a team instead of a group of individuals

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's fair, but he's been a lot more hands off with the Rangers until recently.
He was too busy destroying the Knicks. He has some free time now. Brian Leetch just left. Is JD's nephew leaving after the draft? Will we also be looking for a new draft director? I agree he's been out of the seen for a while but I don't have trust in anything he does.

Reactions: haveandare

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Contrary to popular belief, Gallant isn't a great coach. Or should i say, the actual coaching part of it is lacking. He's a great guy though and players like him. But he's sort of a one-trick pony coach' edition.

He lets the players play. He gets them competing which works particularly well when the team already has a chip on their shoulder. He wants his team to attack which is fun.

But when it comes down to adjustments, strategies, shaking lines and all that, i don't feel like he has much to offer. You'll be hearing a lot of "just work hard and compete hard" as tonight's gameplan, or "we don't really worry about them we worry about us". As soon as he finds his lines he's going to stick to them as much as possible. Which again is good for guys to gain chemistry, but when there comes a time things don't work.. we'll, just work harder.

Basically there's a good chance a team like the Rangers would enjoy playing for him. Guys likely perform well individually. Players enjoy playing and you'll see their confidence as a group grow. But unless they win the cup, someone in the playoffs can put a dent in that and once someone has the upper hand it's pretty much over.

There's been a notable difference in Vegas since they got DeBoer, who is more tactically adept and has more depth to his message depending on the situation. Since the magical first season, they were very inconsistent under Gallant and lost a lot of games to teams they should not have as the message got a bit stale. Panthers had the same feel with them following that division title season.

DeBoer's record in the regular season with this team is 56-19-4 and they've been extremely consistent mostly without any extra motivating factors, minus the short time after last years coaching change. They feel like a more mature and reliable hockey team, in this years series against the Avs who kicked their asses a couple times, we always saw subtle adjustments and tactical changes how to do better against a team that was visibly stronger. If i think back to the SCF series vs Washington, i didn't think much was happening to try and turn the tides after it was clear "our game" wasn't going to get it done.

So yeah, that's my personal opinion at least based on what i've seen. Im not saying it's a bad hire. Probably what the Rangers want right now is to catch lightning in a bottle. And some guys can gain confidence on a personal level which only helps their careers. I'd be expecting a fun first year, maybe two, but unless he's evolved as a coach, i wouldn't expect him to work out as a long-term.
I feel like most coaches these days just have a 1 or 2 line response they always use. Most involving working hard.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Honestly, if they don’t keep him too long after things get stale, the rangers could use that. They need someone to teach them how to play and have success as a team instead of a group of individuals

I would agree. And looking at the Rangers especially, they can probably pull off what Gallant wants to do. Definitely need some speed and skill and they got that covered.

I feel like most coaches these days just have a 1 or 2 line response they always use. Most involving working hard.

With him it's a bit different, it's almost like he's dodging questions and i often felt like he genuinely hasn't even thought about changing anything to match their opponent, lol. But could just be me.

Reactions: haveandare

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
If he could turn that Panthers team around, and take an expansion team to the SCF. I think he can do some work with that Rangers team.

I doubt it. Expansion team was 4 second lines. Panthers had a very good roster actually. Good coach is the one that takes a shitty roster on paper and make them excel like Torts, or Trotz. In other scenarios anybody random from this forum that knows a thing or two could get similar results. People in this day and age follow what is popular and don't see the full picture. Same thing is with goalies that play in front of very good D man (and are praised like gods), but once moved to a bad team those goalies suck.

Last edited:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
No coach is perfect. We need someone who can develop Kakko, Laf, Miller, Kravtsov etc. into what they have the potential to be. The team has an incredible amount of talent. Who do you get? Torts? So he benches Kakko on the first shift, and plays Kravstov 6 min a game? Gallant would be just fine. And if he doesn't produce, he'll go.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I am a Gallant fan
I was hoping the Ducks would try to get him
BUT
What is the deal behind the scenes?
Florida was just absurd
But Vegas was confusing.

I and a Ducks and Rangers fan, and believe he’d be a great fit unless there is some under the surface craziness we don’t know

Reactions: Kimota

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Aways wondered why they retread coaches that have been fired from other teams over and over instead of making new coaches

Because sometimes you try the new guy and you end up with Jeff "Low-Event" Blashill.

It's really weird because you have a guy like Barry Smith, who is an excellent hockey mind and has never, to my knowledge, had less than a .500 season as a coach, and no one will touch the guy as a head coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad