Rangers interview with Gallant

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Claude Julien should be the Rangers coach. I doubt Gallant will work out with the Rangers because, he will have the same problems as he did with Vegas, Columbus and Florida but worse.

It'll likely work out better for him in Vancouver considering he'll get the benefit of the doubt over Benning and would likely last longer, but that is if Vancouver moves on from Green.

Julien would be the best fit for the Rangers, that's what I believe.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Gallant is a great coach. But how will he fit with Dolan?

Isn't it common knowledge that he and management/executives don't get along?

He would probably do better with a more passive ownership/management structure.

I think Bruce Boudreau is a better fit than Gallant for the Rangers.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Gallant is a great coach. But how will he fit with Dolan?

Isn't it common knowledge that he and management/executives don't get along?

He would probably do better with a more passive ownership/management structure.

I think Bruce Boudreau is a better fit than Gallant for the Rangers.

I think that people are kind of freaking out about Dolan all of a sudden but we haven't heard from him since at least the 05 lockout. You barely knew he existed until a few weeks ago.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
I think Claude Julien should be the Rangers coach. I doubt Gallant will work out with the Rangers because, he will have the same problems as he did with Vegas, Columbus and Florida but worse.

It'll likely work out better for him in Vancouver considering he'll get the benefit of the doubt over Benning and would likely last longer, but that is if Vancouver moves on from Green.

Julien would be the best fit for the Rangers, that's what I believe.
I think Claude Julien should be the Jets coach. I doubt Gallant will work out with the Jets.

Julien would be the best fit for the Jets, that's what I believe.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think that people are kind of freaking out about Dolan all of a sudden but we haven't heard from him since at least the 05 lockout. You barely knew he existed until a few weeks ago.
I just view him as a strong personality at the top of the ownership structure. At least he has been that way with the Knicks.

I think the potential is there that Dolan and Gallant may clash.

It isn't always about best coach, but best fit.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just view him as a strong personality at the top of the ownership structure. At least he has been that way with the Knicks.

That's fair, but he's been a lot more hands off with the Rangers until recently.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Yes exactly this. He has been very quiet and far from the picture on the Rangers front. But fans see how involved he is with the Knicks and ultimately see that working its way over to the Rangers. I hope it doesnt happen but again you never know, especially with him

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That's fair, but he's been a lot more hands off with the Rangers until recently.

I can't even remember the last time Dolan had any interference as owner of the Rangers other than that time he hijacked a Torts press post game press conference in 2012 to proclaim we were on the verge of winning a Cup.

And Torts wanted to wring his neck "I have my owner up here talking about Stanley Cups and we got practice tomorrow at 10 am".

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
True they should have fired their Head Coach 5 days before the playoffs starts.

3 years ago*
Alternatively, the day after we go out in the playoffs this year (hope some good coaches are still available)
If we win the Cup, let him celebrate for a month and then fire him.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Was hoping he'd replace Eakins but I'm sure Anaheim will resume that curse for another two years

Maybe he can compete with Jeff Blashill for the longest tenured coach of losing teams. But good luck, Blash has a huge lead and will never relinquish his crown.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They need somebody to light a fire under a lot of their young talent's asses. Gallant could be a great choice for that. Did well with a lot of the big fast talented players in Vegas. Him with Kakko and Lafreniere I think would be a fantastic fit.

Reactions: haveandare

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Contrary to popular belief, Gallant isn't a great coach. Or should i say, the actual coaching part of it is lacking. He's a great guy though and players like him. But he's sort of a one-trick pony coach' edition.

He lets the players play. He gets them competing which works particularly well when the team already has a chip on their shoulder. He wants his team to attack which is fun.

But when it comes down to adjustments, strategies, shaking lines and all that, i don't feel like he has much to offer. You'll be hearing a lot of "just work hard and compete hard" as tonight's gameplan, or "we don't really worry about them we worry about us". As soon as he finds his lines he's going to stick to them as much as possible. Which again is good for guys to gain chemistry, but when there comes a time things don't work.. we'll, just work harder.

Basically there's a good chance a team like the Rangers would enjoy playing for him. Guys likely perform well individually. Players enjoy playing and you'll see their confidence as a group grow. But unless they win the cup, someone in the playoffs can put a dent in that and once someone has the upper hand it's pretty much over.

There's been a notable difference in Vegas since they got DeBoer, who is more tactically adept and has more depth to his message depending on the situation. Since the magical first season, they were very inconsistent under Gallant and lost a lot of games to teams they should not have as the message got a bit stale. Panthers had the same feel with them following that division title season.

DeBoer's record in the regular season with this team is 56-19-4 and they've been extremely consistent mostly without any extra motivating factors, minus the short time after last years coaching change. They feel like a more mature and reliable hockey team, in this years series against the Avs who kicked their asses a couple times, we always saw subtle adjustments and tactical changes how to do better against a team that was visibly stronger. If i think back to the SCF series vs Washington, i didn't think much was happening to try and turn the tides after it was clear "our game" wasn't going to get it done.

So yeah, that's my personal opinion at least based on what i've seen. Im not saying it's a bad hire. Probably what the Rangers want right now is to catch lightning in a bottle. And some guys can gain confidence on a personal level which only helps their careers. I'd be expecting a fun first year, maybe two, but unless he's evolved as a coach, i wouldn't expect him to work out as a long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->