Rumor: Rangers in Three Way Trade with OTT/TBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Praying this is true and our Captain comes back. Would love for him to get his C back until one of the kids earn it. Will be nice for the kids to look up to a vet who busts his ass every single shift.

As for the the few anti Cally crowd, get over it. Every player wants to get paid. Just like i’m sure you want to get a nice raise at your job.

I was too young, I’m told Kelly Kisio was a hustler too. Doesn’t mean he should be near an NHL roster at 33. It’s over.

Unless he’s interested in a coaching apprenticeship, Callahan’s chapter is long done.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If anyone gets the C this year it should be Zucc or possibly Staal. If it's neither of those guys, then they should forego having a captain and wait for one of the young guys to emerge. Callahan doesn't deserve squat. He wasn't even a good captain when he was here.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Bring Back Avery

Dec 29, 2012
Catasauqua, PA
I don't know, I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing back Cally, unless we're getting someone else like Stamkos or something. Sure he is a hard worker and an older "mentor" type for the young kids, but already have Hank and Zucc for that. Cally was about washed up when he left here, and I don't think he's gotten any better. What does he average, like 50 games a season? At 6mil+? No thanks. That'd be like getting another Staal.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
The Rangers have to be getting two fairly decent pieces if we take on Callahan. One prospect who is in their Top 5, and a 2020 first round pick. Are we trying to make it as easy as possible for Tampa to get one of the best defenseman we have seen the last 5 years so they can run train on the East? Tampa is in a desperate position.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
I cant tell if this post was serious or not. How many times has Cally been warned or fined for diving?

While we are on the subject of “diving”, guess crosby is a terrible captain that would hurt players developments too according to your post.
Cally dives, who cares. Should we start a list of bad things other captains have done? And if diving is bad, I'd love to hear the take on Messier.

Either way, if he came back, I wouldn't give him the C. Maybe an A. Different team. Let the captain emerge organically.

those guys dive, but they also have redeeming qualities that far surpass "good thirdliner" for players to model themselves after. but yeah, crosby and messier aren't perfect.

i havent checked recently since his GP has diminished over the last two seasons, but among 82 games callahan routinely had among the top penalties drawn in the league. its not because his tiny frame is uncontainable and "omg heart!11!". it's cause he cheats. thats what diving is and i truly despise it.

*edit no need to argue here boys. im not looking to change your feelings on a player you like, just stating that there are opposing view points and opinions. been seeing tons of callahan love over the last few days but the people who hated him as captain and were happy to see him go are still here.

Last edited:

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I would take back Cally if the Haul was good. Also, helping TB get Karlsson gives them a better chance to win cup. Then Rangers get 2019 1st round pick. If TB cant get us quality for this cap dump, then "No Deal"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
those guys dive, but they also have redeeming qualities that far surpass "good thirdliner" for players to model themselves after. but yeah, crosby and messier aren't perfect.

i havent checked recently since his GP has diminished over the last two seasons, but amongst 82 games callahan routinely had among the top penalties drawn in the league. its not because his tiny frame is uncontainable and "omg heart!11!". it's cause he cheats. thats what diving is and i truly despise it.

*edit no need to argue here boys. im not looking to change your feelings on a player you like, just stating that there are opposing view points and opinions. been seeing tons of callahan love over the last few days but the people who hated him as captain and were happy to see him go are still here.
Okay fair enough, don't necessarily agree but we don't have to. I hate diving in football/soccer so I understand the sentiment.

Reactions: SirGoose

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
The Rangers have to be getting two fairly decent pieces if we take on Callahan. One prospect who is in their Top 5, and a 2020 first round pick. Are we trying to make it as easy as possible for Tampa to get one of the best defenseman we have ever seen so they can run train on the East? Tampa is in a desperate position.

He's currently 8th in points per game for a defenseman in NHL history (.826). Next highest active players are Subban (.648) and Letang (.641)

What Karlsson is doing in this era for that franchise is very very impressive

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If the Rangers are selling cap space they're gonna be getting something else for their trouble. It's not going to be Callahan for a 7th.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Not excited at the prospect of Cally coming back. Would be interested if we could grab some chips. I have however been disappointed in the deals we have made with the bolts.

That said,renting our cap space for futures is the right approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers have to be getting two fairly decent pieces if we take on Callahan. One prospect who is in their Top 5, and a 2020 first round pick. Are we trying to make it as easy as possible for Tampa to get one of the best defenseman we have seen the last 5 years so they can run train on the East? Tampa is in a desperate position.

Shop Callahan around the league, is anyone willing to take him for a 4th? 3rd? 2nd? 1st?

Look at the deals just handed out. Someone would surely take his 2 year commitment for a 2nd, just my bet. I want nothing to do with him. If you are named captain of NYR it should be something bigger than what Cally turned it into. You live once, everything cannot be about money, money, money.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Clarkson has shown that taking that much cap back is worth a 1st and a 2nd. You can feel free to swap those out with whatever comparables you want b/c HF stands for have fun!

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Thank goodness. Tampa's top-four after such a trade would give us hell for a long time -- even after we rebuild. We can't facilitate the success of long-term (or at least medium-term) competitors.

... Unless we were the ones getting Karlsson. But that isn't the case according the rumors.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Praying this is true and our Captain comes back. Would love for him to get his C back until one of the kids earn it. Will be nice for the kids to look up to a vet who busts his ass every single shift.

As for the the few anti Cally crowd, get over it. Every player wants to get paid. Just like i’m sure you want to get a nice raise at your job.

If I left my company to get a raise somewhere else, then got a lot worse at my job I wouldn’t expect to return to the old company in the same position I left in.

Callahan would be a cap dump. You do not make a cap dump captain. If you want someone who busts their ass every shift make Fast the captain. Or better yet don’t make the captaincy a “good job” sticker and wait until someone who can actually command the room and lead people shows up to take it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thinking about it, I definitely think Gorts should stay far away from taking on contracts that are pure cap dumps without any value for us.

If we look around the league, teams are having such a hard time moving contracts. Nobody is keen on taking on term. I much rather use that cap space taking a shot on a player with term, or just about becoming a RFA with arbitration rights, or something like that than to just get like a 2nd rounder to take on dead cap space like Callahan.

Hockey is a team game and opportunity and environment is -- everything -- for production. Like should all be able to agree on that, we have a century of historical data to look at. 80 pts in one environment can be 40 pts in another, that is a well documented fact. Still everyone look so much at production. Players caught in an environment that isn't perfect for them falls out of favor all the time. I would much rather deal like Ty Ronning and Jake Ragnarsson for some 27 y/o who makes 5m per but have had a tough year and under performed than to take on a dead horse like Cally for a super late 2nd round pick that in essence will be a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: greasch#4

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
IIRC after Cally was dealt, Richards had some less than flattering things to say about his leadership.

With BR now being a part of the FO, me thinks Cally wont be getting the C back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad