Rumor: Rangers in Talks with Leo Komarov on Multi-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m not here to get in poltical believes. All i said is that i dont want a player who brings politics to the ice. I dont care what those beliefs may be whether i agree with them or not. It’s not the place or time and does absolutely nothing good for the team.

If I remember correctly Brown (probably because he is black or partly) was asked about the anthem protests and he gave an honest reply. If someone asks me something--I tell them what I think and don't care---it's up to them to deal with it then. If you're not sure you want to know don't ask. In any case if my memory is more than less correct fair play to him.

Reactions: haveandare

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
His numbers last year were worse than what Tanner Glass did with the Rangers.

The point of a rebuild is to get better. Maybe not immediately, but the point is to get better. How does this team get better if they deliberately sign awful players to multi-year deals?

They get to improve their prospect pool?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's true enough--but the eye for an eye thing can mean Wilson hurts Chytil but someone else hurts Kuznetsov. It's not nice for sure but the Caps paying a price for the things that Wilson does--turning it into a karma thing is okay with me. So it's not just about having deterrent players--it's about going after your opponents no matter what. We don't necessarily have to be 'dirty' mind you but we need to be a lot meaner. We need them to know that our days of being a push over are over. You won't win in the NHL if you're not willing to go to war.
I definitely think they need to be a lot harder to play against, which means hitting, pestering, standing up for themselves and their teammates again, etc. AV really ruined that culture through the entire lineup. If we want a heavy and hard player in ufa because they can play a functional bottom 6 role and make the team harder to play against, I’m all for that. Just dont want to add people solely for a deterrent because that doesn’t work these days.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I definitely think they need to be a lot harder to play against, which means hitting, pestering, standing up for themselves and their teammates again, etc. AV really ruined that culture through the entire lineup. If we want a heavy and hard player in ufa because they can play a functional bottom 6 role and make the team harder to play against, I’m all for that. Just dont want to add people solely for a deterrent because that doesn’t work these days.

This idea that some people have that hockey players have no fear is not right. We'll take Tom Wilson for an example. Players are afraid of him and for good reason. For one they know he will run them from the blind side and up high. That if and when that happens there's a good chance they won't see it coming and won't be able to protect themselves. He had three suspensions last season and he could easily have had three more in the playoffs. Not only that but in a fight he can lay a beating on most every player in the league whether it's a fair fight or not. There's not that many that can go toe to toe with him......and getting beat decisively especially if it's in front of your own fans is not something that most NHL players enjoy. Most NHL players just want to do what they do best and for most fighting a bigger player is way out of their comfort zone.

Anyway it's the borderline hits that players fear the most. Wreck your knee--f*** up your head. Everyone has seen Marc Savard and a bunch of others laid out cold. No one wants to rehab a knee for a year and a half either. Those things shorten and end careers. Wilson, Radko Gudas--they're not the only ones but guys like that are a menace. I don't want to see that happen to Filip Chytil but if it does and especially if it's a player like Wilson or Gudas I'll want tit for tat from the offending team.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd put the lack of push back or whatever one wants to call it more on coaching and how they built the roster as a whole.

Over AVs tenure we saw them try to play a finesse orientated game, the overload was not used to hit a player with one man and have the 2nd go in to get the puck, it was used to send two guys into dig at the skates for the puck. Any offensive zone cycle was pretty non existent.

I think should they change their playing style up a little some of the traits pertaining to push back, fight for the puck/position will also return and that will bring along some of that fight which usually leads to more of a stick up for your teammate emotional response when an opponent pulls something borderline or plain dirty.

I do believe some of the roster must have those traits instinctively, I think Miller had some of them, ADA does if he can control them, Fast, Kreider, Smith if he recovers, and while that may not be quite enough players adding in some others that have more motor, more aggression, more get to the puck and fight for it would be the key more so than adding in those who are kind of just there for retaliation purposes, or there just to pull their own borderline dirty acts.

Couple things I question,

I wonder if them not having very many players who spent a decent amount of time in the AHL may also leads to the roster being short of some of those traits, the AHL is at least in my opinion pretty rough compared to even the NHL.

They have a lot of college and overseas players, I'll try not to generalize too much but...

Also they seem to be going for this character, personality, nice guy thing, they don't seem interested in players who has any upset the locker room stuff, I think some of the personalities they are trying to avoid are the same that would add to the toughness/push back the team wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->