Rumor: Rangers in Talks with Leo Komarov on Multi-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

This is squished in the rebuild thread but is getting lost with all the other talk so figured i'd start a thread.

Komarov is a player I was hoping the Ranger's were going to target, he can bring a lot in a bottom 6 role. Not sure what I want as a contract, I think a 3 year, 2.0-2.5M per contract would be fair but I could see it being 3M as he was paid almost that on his last contract. Yea it's a bit overpayment but that's normally the price of UFAs, and we have the cap room where it's not going to hurt us for 3 years.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Big nope.

If you're giving 4th liners 3 year deals at 31 yrs old, you're doing it wrong.

Don't spend a bunch on the Komarovs and Rousells of the world this summer, and then tell me whatever Panarin asks for next year is about a million too rich for your taste.

At least Roussel can play. There always has to be an overpaid bottom 6 succ on this team no matter what. DUMB

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
At least Roussel can play. There always has to be an overpaid bottom 6 succ on this team no matter what. DUMB
Just like every single team in the NHL has, most have more than one. We are a rebuilding team not sure what the problem is. And Komerov is more productive than Roussel despite being older.

Reactions: broadwayblue

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
2 yrs ideal but they likely give 3..........he would be good to flip in a few years. Tough player.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Good in locker room. Had the A in Toronto after Phanuef left. Speaks 4 languages. Swedish, Russian, Finnish and English. Russain-Finnish citizenship. Really good professional and extremely competitive.

Good to have around these young guys and a rookie coach - and can also play in special team roles, PK (we lost a few last season in Grabs, Nash). Hoping its only for 2 but i can see them spring for more to bring him to help out as a player/coach type guy.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Just like every single team in the NHL has, most have more than one. We are a rebuilding team not sure what the problem is. And Komerov is more productive than Roussel despite being older.

I think some people here are in denial about this.

Komarov isn't a player that's going to change life here, but if he's on a decent deal I don't see the problem with it at all. He seems to be a good veteran that was a really positive influence on the young Maple Leafs players.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Good veteran, multi-lingual, positive influence on young kids, adds a little toughness, and reportedly a good leader.

His play is diminishing but we can afford to play him on the 4th line.

We need players like this. Every since we announced the rebuild I've been saying we need to worry more about character vets and less about skill vets. Good signing if true.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Big nope.

If you're giving 4th liners 3 year deals at 31 yrs old, you're doing it wrong.

Don't spend a bunch on the Komarovs and Rousells of the world this summer, and then tell me whatever Panarin asks for next year is about a million too rich for your taste.

Antoine Roussel will be 29 in November. Just saying.

I don't mind the idea of Komarov though--2 years would be best. He's a f***ing pain in the ass to play against and though not a big point producer he is a multi-tasker and one of the league's better agitators. He hits a lot and he hits hard.

Matt Calvert is another guy I'd be looking at. Not big but very hard nosed. Bottom line guy though but he fits the role pretty well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is The Fourth Period still a thing? Is Pagnotta still a guy? Didn't really know that.

Anyway, for two year or less, it's fine. He's supposedly a good locker room, good glue guy. I know he's not great anymore but I think he can still play, and be a good influence on all the kiddos. 2 years, $6M and I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Good in locker room. Had the A in Toronto after Phanuef left. Speaks 4 languages. Swedish, Russian, Finnish and English. Russain-Finnish citizenship. Really good professional and extremely competitive.

Good to have around these young guys and a rookie coach - and can also play in special team roles, PK (we lost a few last season in Grabs, Nash). Hoping its only for 2 but i can see them spring for more to bring him to help out as a player/coach type guy.

Didn't know he spoke so many languages -- well, Swedish, really. He could help our incoming Russian and Swedish players more comfortable as they transition to the US.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
J. T. Brown too---wouldn't be bad---plays with energy. You don't want him in your top 6 and probably not in your top 9 so don't give him a ton of money but in the right role he can be effective.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He has cut his points per game in half since two seasons ago, he was getting 2 minutes less ice time as well this past season. This has decline written all over it.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Based on what I saw last year, coming off what I saw the season before, it's the multi-year part that concerns me.

Me too. If multi-year means 2 years, I can deal with it. It was never a realistic option to just throw a lineup filled with a bunch young, inexperienced players on the ice. It's not common, nor is it necessarily good for development. I think they see Komarov as someone who helped the kids in Toronto transition into pro hockey players, and hoping for more of the same here. For that reason, I'm not opposed to the player...just wary of the terms.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
J. T. Brown too---wouldn't be bad---plays with energy. You don't want him in your top 6 and probably not in your top 9 so don't give him a ton of money but in the right role he can be effective.
And he likely costs a one year deal and about 1.5M cap hit.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hell no. Don't need any players that bring political drama to the team. Locker room cancer.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Me too. If multi-year means 2 years, I can deal with it. It was never a realistic option to just throw a lineup filled with a bunch young, inexperienced players on the ice. It's not common, nor is it necessarily good for development. I think they see Komarov as someone who helped the kids in Toronto transition into pro hockey players, and hoping for more of the same here. For that reason, I'm not opposed to the player...just weary of the terms.

Language pet peeve. The word is wary. Or leery. Weary means tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->