Rangers hire Gerard Gallant as their next head coach

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Because they are "the rich" New York Rangers they need to pay more? Look I get it that people hate the Rangers but to say this isn't an attractive job (I understand Dolan can be off putting).

Also, "rich" New York Rangers work under the same restrictions as any other team in the league - in fact, the Rangers, Islanders and Devils all have to work with the same cap space yet income taxes aren't considered.

Your team is in the semi-finals.

Your assumption that I hate the Rangers is pretty simple mind. I am mainly dissapointed that a team with class like the Rangers would only pay 3.5. It is very strange. I hope they didn't get Gallant just because he was cheap. They should get the best no matter what.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Your assumption that I hate the Rangers is pretty simple mind. I am mainly dissapointed that a team with class like the Rangers would only pay 3.5. It is very strange. I hope they didn't get Gallant just because he was cheap. They should get the best no matter what.

Is pretty simple mind? Not sure why the attack. I thought I was fair in my response.

Two parties reached an agreement on compensation for a role on the team. I also think you may need to consider that finances with these sports teams have changed. The Rangers for the past 3 seasons have not had extra games as they failed to make the playoffs. They are still paying David Quinn and Jeff Gorton (I am not sure how it works now that Davidson took a job with the Blue Jackets). Also, they did not turn their usual profit with the limited fans.

I believe they interviewed Tocchet twice and might have inquired about Brind'Amour.

Reactions: egelband

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Is pretty simple mind? Not sure why the attack. I thought I was fair in my response.

Simple mind because thinking someone thinking hates a team just because he question a move. If anything it's the opposite.

Two parties reached an agreement on compensation for a role on the team. I also think you may need to consider that finances with these sports teams have changed. The Rangers for the past 3 seasons have not had extra games as they failed to make the playoffs. They are still paying David Quinn and Jeff Gorton (I am not sure how it works now that Davidson took a job with the Blue Jackets). Also, they did not turn their usual profit with the limited fans.

I believe they interviewed Tocchet twice and might have inquired about Brind'Amour.

I don't understand the finances problems but it's the New York Rangers, it's not like it's an issue for them. Also It seems like they did not interview a lot of people. Why on Earth would you interview Tocchet, he has not proven anything anywhere.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Simple mind because thinking someone thinking hates a team just because he question a move. If anything it's the opposite.

I don't understand the finances problems but it's the New York Rangers, it's not like it's an issue for them. Also It seems like they did not interview a lot of people. Why on Earth would you interview Tocchet, he has not proven anything anywhere.

Kimota - if you scroll through - you'll find a lot of posts that are anti-Rangers which is a fans' right. There are teams that I do not like (although it is it's fanbase).

Is Tocchet someone I would hope for? No. But he is an NHL head coach. I guess I am not sure what the Rangers did wrong here. They identified someone they liked, reached an agreement with him and hired him.

If this was 2002 and the Rangers were throwing money at over 30 free agents, I would absolutely agree with the sentiment.

Here is one line that I am curious:
I don't understand the finances problems but it's the New York Rangers,

What does that mean? That they print money? They operate in New York City and in midtown manhattan. It is not cheap and they are a business. Look up Real Estate there and that will be one of many hints how difficult it is to run a business.

I don't mean this to come across as patronizing but perhaps we both are being "simple minded"?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hes Tortorella-esque in the sense that hes very hard on guys. This works well when the team is succeeding, but wears thin very quickly when its not

I suspect he will be the coach that gets NY to play harder and a tighter System, but wont be there when theyre true contenders. I think he can turn them into a contender but wont be the coach to take them to the Finals

Completely off the mark. He's probably the biggest player's coach in the league.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Completely off the mark. He's probably the biggest player's coach in the league.
This is what everyone says about those types of coaches

theyre the players favorite until theyre not

And if youve ever watched his post game pressers youd know it to be true. The guy sometimes is mad after wins..

Reactions: egelband and Voight

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
According to you

go check any poll before the last two seasons and theyll have Rangers in the playoffs

Only pity party around here is the Rangers, yet again, missing in a shortened year with a top offense

The Rangers were right where they were expected to be in the 4-6 range no pun intended. They had a doofus as their head coach (nice man but as a hockey guy no bueno). I can list all of the problems that prevents a top ten offense from qualifying but they've been stated ad nauseam and I've had enough of talking about Quinn even with friends. He's gone, time for the Rangers fans to move on.

I don't get your comment on "Lundqvist doing nothing" or whatever in his career. You have to look at the data. He won had many deep playoff runs, won a Vezina, and was an All Star at least five times. That's not nothing.

Look, I get it you're a Devils fan and there is this perception of Rangers fans as "Nu Yawk" ogres, but that's a minority.

You guys are rebuilding too and your coach now from Coach Doofus's prior staff is essentially what he was (Quinn): a transitional "keep the lights on" guy.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Wont be a good hire; Rangers are a finesse and skill team, Gallant works well with tough systems and cycling/defense.

Hes going to get them more wins than Quinn so by virtue its a better coach. But he wont get nearly as much out of Kakko and Lafreniere as a newer-school coach would

Rangers gonna Ranger though and hire the biggest dollar name

Maybe he will adapt his style to fit the players?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Hes Tortorella-esque in the sense that hes very hard on guys. This works well when the team is succeeding, but wears thin very quickly when its not

I suspect he will be the coach that gets NY to play harder and a tighter System, but wont be there when theyre true contenders. I think he can turn them into a contender but wont be the coach to take them to the Finals

While they are polar opposites in the outside appearance (other being ultra nice to press and other so bad he is the biggest meme), both do have tendency to make the hardest working players play. Gallant has a good record proving that he can find not only the hardest working, but currently best players for the team, and that is exactly what Rangers need.

In fact Tortorella is so shockingly bad with press and questions, that most just look at his interviews because of the entertainment value his mental collapses and rage storms provide.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
OK we won 1, got the 2nd OA the other - the Devils are the ones who won the lottery twice

Our Norris candidate was a trade using assets and if Panarin hand picks a team, how is that gifted?

I won't get into the name calling but you may want to reconsider your stance.

Oooooooo name calling!!!!!!
EDIY: You realize there's 3 lottery balls? And any team could have traded for Fox with the same end result right? Denying the Rangers have had some serious luck in speeding up their rebuild the last few years is silly. They can make smart moves and still benefit from being lucky

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered

acknowledging- as a nyr fan - I’d prefer my team be in the playoffs- it’s nice to have those picks but nothing is guaranteed.

im pretty humble when it comes to the rangers and maybe it’s the fan in me that thinks we are not a “lucky” team.

when I said “name calling” I meant I don’t want to discount your opinion even though I disagree. I’ll drop it here unless you inquire about anything and offer a handshake

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
I think this is a mistake by the Rangers and that is fine by me. Not convinced about GG. Something funny about how he got fired by previous clubs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
acknowledging- as a nyr fan - I’d prefer my team be in the playoffs- it’s nice to have those picks but nothing is guaranteed.

im pretty humble when it comes to the rangers and maybe it’s the fan in me that thinks we are not a “lucky” team.

when I said “name calling” I meant I don’t want to discount your opinion even though I disagree. I’ll drop it here unless you inquire about anything and offer a handshake

No hard feelings. All I'm saying is looking at the Rangers 4-5 years ago and looking at them now, there's not many teams who have had their path back to success so conveniently paved.

Reactions: drewcon40

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018

How much were you expecting them to pay, and with that amount who did you like? looks like there are only 10 coaches in the league making 3.5 +, who is the best they should have got and at what price in your opinion?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
How much were you expecting them to pay, and with that amount who did you like? looks like there are only 10 coaches in the league making 3.5 +, who is the best they should have got and at what price in your opinion?

You do a thorough selection to get the best coach available and then you pay him like the best, 5 million. That's what Trotz got.

Aug 3, 2010
You do a thorough selection to get the best coach available and then you pay him like the best, 5 million. That's what Trotz got.
Do you normally care about how anyone you know chooses to spend their money?

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018

and if the best coach that is/was currently available isn't of Barry Trotz caliber, you still pay him like Barry Trotz? I'd love to hear who you think is this $5mm coach that was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad