Rangers hire Gerard Gallant as their next head coach

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah it's been a boulevard of green lights for the Rangers. :confused: These playoff runs have been amazing for NY. I was watching another NY team in the playoffs.

Uh, you guys won two draft lotteries and had a 23 year old Norris candidate + arguably the leaguer's best winger both handpick your team in the a span of two years lol

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Turk's a great player's coach, good at getting the most out of what he has to work with. Wish him only the best in New York. He'll always be a Vegas legend.
Edit: Just occured to me NYR will now be Turk's Rangers, not too far off from their name origin :)

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Uh, you guys won two draft lotteries and had a 23 year old Norris candidate + arguably the leaguer's best winger both handpick your team in the a span of two years lol

OK we won 1, got the 2nd OA the other - the Devils are the ones who won the lottery twice

Our Norris candidate was a trade using assets and if Panarin hand picks a team, how is that gifted?

I won't get into the name calling but you may want to reconsider your stance.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Gallant has never been able to last three full seasons as a coach. He usually gets dumped unceremoniously pretty quickly right in the middle of the season.

His stock is still high and he's probably a good hire but I would have picked a low key market with few expectations to try to last. If he gets dumped quickly once more, this may be his last job.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Call it what you like. You tried to disagree with someone that said the Rangers weren't far from the playoffs by using a completely misleading stat with no context. I provided the context.

Points aren't misleading at all. Its just a simple fact that the Rangers were 11 points out of a playoff spot, which is pretty far off. They didn't miss by 1 or 2 points.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I love this hire. If he took an expansion Vegas team to the final, I can't wait to see what he does with Panarin, Fox, and Lafreniere.

Just be prepared for some randoms on your board hysterically claiming Gallant is trying to ruin Panarin and Buchnevich because he hates Russians.

One of best in his job.

But I am still bit buzzked why he got sackked from Florida and Vegas?
He angers management?
What is it?

Yes he absolutely clashes with management. He also gets rude with reporters but not Torts rude.

The Panthers and Vegas were impatient and Gallant is at times frustratingly patient with his lineup. He likes to ride out scoring droughts and defensive mistakes until his players get it right.

He's like a weird mix of Sutter and Brindamour, with a dash of Therrien.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just be prepared for some randoms on your board hysterically claiming Gallant is trying to ruin Panarin and Buchnevich because he hates Russians.

What's the story there?

Because he absolutely needs to get along with Russians. Panarin, Shestyorkin, and Buchnevich are three of our best players. We can't have a coach clashing with them. Even if Buchnevich is eventually traded, which is not even clear he will be, we still can't have the coach clashing with two of our best players. And then we still have the back up goalie Georgiyev and first round pick Kravtsov, so we have a number of Russians that he must get along well with.

Quinn wasn't a good coach, but there was no problems getting along with Russian players. The prior coach had a problem with Buchnevich, and there were some hints of xenophobia there, so it's not a problem we can have.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What's the story there?

Because he absolutely needs to get along with Russians. Panarin, Shestyorkin, and Buchnevich are three of our best players. We can't have a coach clashing with them. Even if Buchnevich is eventually traded, which is not even clear he will be, we still can't have the coach clashing with two of our best players. And then we still have the back up goalie Georgiyev and first round pick Kravtsov, so we have a number of Russians that he must get along well with.

Quinn wasn't a good coach, but there was no problems getting along with Russian players. The prior coach had a problem with Buchnevich, and there were some hints of xenophobia there, so it's not a problem we can have.

There's no story here. He didn't think Gusev or Shipachyov was ready for prime time and he was right.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
LeBrun says its 3.5per for Gallant - looks like the troll is once again defeated as that is about mid-range for coaches.

Makes no sense. You get to be hired by the rich New York Ramgers and get only 3.5? Maybe that's why he got hired cause he was cheap and desperate to get a new job. And if he refused, they would have gotten someone else.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There's no story here. He didn't think Gusev or Shipachyov was ready for prime time and he was right.
And while Barkov is a Finn by nationality (and Russia), he's 100% Russian ethnically. Was that a problem in Florida? Not that from what I've heard of.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Not sure Gallant is a fit for the NY media but hes good for the team makeup

He will need to tone down his post game pressers and his desire to always correct guys on something wrong, even when they do well

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
One of best in his job.

But I am still bit buzzked why he got sackked from Florida and Vegas?
He angers management?
What is it?
Hes Tortorella-esque in the sense that hes very hard on guys. This works well when the team is succeeding, but wears thin very quickly when its not

I suspect he will be the coach that gets NY to play harder and a tighter System, but wont be there when theyre true contenders. I think he can turn them into a contender but wont be the coach to take them to the Finals

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hes Tortorella-esque in the sense that hes very hard on guys. This works well when the team is succeeding, but wears thin very quickly when its not

I suspect he will be the coach that gets NY to play harder and a tighter System, but wont be there when theyre true contenders. I think he can turn them into a contender but wont be the coach to take them to the Finals
This is probably right imo and that’s fine. This team really, really need that at this juncture

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think a reason it took time for him to get rehired was because he must not be someone that sells himself well. He must be the opposite of Paul Maurice, a guy that keeps getting hired cause he sells himself well but never accomplishes anything. While GG is a great coach but the reason he's a good coach(honesty) prevents him to be a good seller.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Makes no sense. You get to be hired by the rich New York Ramgers and get only 3.5? Maybe that's why he got hired cause he was cheap and desperate to get a new job. And if he refused, they would have gotten someone else.

Because they are "the rich" New York Rangers they need to pay more? Look I get it that people hate the Rangers but to say this isn't an attractive job (I understand Dolan can be off putting).

Also, "rich" New York Rangers work under the same restrictions as any other team in the league - in fact, the Rangers, Islanders and Devils all have to work with the same cap space yet income taxes aren't considered.

Your team is in the semi-finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad