Rumor: Rangers have had talks with Lindy Ruff about joining the staff

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Actual source:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

4. New York Rangers associate coach Scott Arniel also interviewed with both Buffalo and Florida.

5. There are a lot of ties to Lindy Ruff in New York. Arniel played with him from 1986-89. Assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld was a teammate from 1979-81. Chris Drury, who just added the AHL Hartford GM title to his portfolio, was coached by Ruff from 2003-07. With those connections, it’s not a surprise to hear rumblings that Ruff was contacted by the Rangers about joining Alain Vigneault’s staff. I’m not sure where this stands right now, but it sounds like it was with the idea of making the group stronger, not forcing Vigneault to look over his shoulder.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Rumors Daily is a Sabres fan with no sources

He got all upset when Vesey signed with the Rangers haha

Don't give him any oxygen by using him as a source

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Buffalo fans for whatever reason think they're entitled to whatever free agents they desire

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

If that was the main source I would have closed it as they have almost no credibility.

People get so desperate for news that they will believe any schmuck with a twitter account who says something about the Rangers.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
What's the big deal with Ruff joining us?

He's been a pretty "meh" type coach his whole career. Would I mind Arneil leaving? Not at all. But adding Ruff does nothing for me.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What's the big deal with Ruff joining us?

He's been a pretty "meh" type coach his whole career. Would I mind Arneil leaving? Not at all. But adding Ruff does nothing for me.

He's a good NHL coach who'd be joining us as an assistant. That's pretty great. I hope this happens.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ruff is better than all of the assistants they currently have, and arguably better than the head coach himself. He would be a good add.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's a good NHL coach who'd be joining us as an assistant. That's pretty great. I hope this happens.

I agree for sure.

I thought a lot about this when we hired AV. There really should be no significant negative aspects of having a lot of man-power and competence on the coaching staff. And this is something we have seen a lot of in Europe too. The best team in Sweden the last decade, Skellefteå AIK, for long stretches basically had three head-coaches. Ex Rangers Johan Lindbom, who coached HV71 to gold this season, was inexperienced but had one of the most experienced HCs as one of his assistent.

Nobody is running a one man show anymore, but I am basically certain that in 20 years, we will see much more beefed up coaching staffs. I also think we will see more examples of two people sharing the responsibility more.

Would love to get Ruff.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree for sure.

I thought a lot about this when we hired AV. There really should be no significant negative aspects of having a lot of man-power and competence on the coaching staff. And this is something we have seen a lot of in Europe too. The best team in Sweden the last decade, Skellefteå AIK, for long stretches basically had three head-coaches. Ex Rangers Johan Lindbom, who coached HV71 to gold this season, was inexperienced but had one of the most experienced HCs as one of his assistent.

Nobody is running a one man show anymore, but I am basically certain that in 20 years, we will see much more beefed up coaching staffs. I also think we will see more examples of two people sharing the responsibility more.

Would love to get Ruff.

I just don't buy "not looking over his shoulder part" and how much influence would any assistant have on AV. The line up, combinations and ice time remaining consistent even when assistants changed. Would Ruff be able to make a difference over AV's stubbornness? If not and things go south midseason I could see LR taking over. Would you be happy with him as a head coach?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just don't buy "not looking over his shoulder part" and how much influence would any assistant have on AV. The line up, combinations and ice time remaining consistent even when assistants changed. Would Ruff be able to make a difference over AV's stubbornness? If not and things go south midseason I could see LR taking over. Would you be happy with him as a head coach?

Not really, but a change is a change.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd take 85% of this message board over AV.

I'd take making Ryan McD the head coach over AV.

I'd take just not having a head coach over AV.

So yes...id be fine with Ruff over AV.

then again..im not the most unbiased person.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd easily take Ruff over Arniel. Ruff knows how to run offensive systems extremely well. We're gonna suck defensively anyways, so **** it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I really really really dislike AV, but honestly I don't want another HC who has been around longer than dirt. Ideally you'd have a guy like Ruff as an assistant and a HC who understands hockey in 2017 not 1977.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I really really really dislike AV, but honestly I don't want another HC who has been around longer than dirt. Ideally you'd have a guy like Ruff as an assistant and a HC who understands hockey in 2017 not 1977.

Have they hired for Hartford yet? Is it just going to be McCambridge taking over? I'd want to bring one of those coaches to get AHL head coaching experience first, and then promote him from within.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Have they hired for Hartford yet? Is it just going to be McCambridge taking over? I'd want to bring one of those coaches to get AHL head coaching experience first, and then promote him from within.

They haven't hired for Hartford yet. The obvious solution is McCambridge moving up, but the Rangers have also brought in a young Czech coach for development camp, so they might give him a look for that.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Ideally yes seeing as it looks like they're stuck with AV the doofus as HC for at least another season. Probably better than just handing a guy an NHL HC position, but I'm not against that either if they have coached college or AHL elsewhere.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They haven't hired for Hartford yet. The obvious solution is McCambridge moving up, but the Rangers have also brought in a young Czech coach for development camp, so they might give him a look for that.

Ideally yes seeing as it looks like they're stuck with AV the doofus as HC for at least another season. Probably better than just handing a guy an NHL HC position, but I'm not against that either if they have coached college or AHL elsewhere.

Yeah I figured, but maybe we'll see what happens. McCambridge has head coaching experience in the AHL anyways so I'm not too worried about that situation. I would like to see some new faces brought in though, or at the minimal, getting rid of Arniel.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
NYR front office has always been very tight lipped and nothing has changed with Gorton taking over. It's conjecture from Carpiniello.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad