Rangers have been vaccinated (1st dose)?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Le CH, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsocommonsense Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yea, that’s not gonna happen in canada. The players will wait their turn like everyone else

Andrei79 likes this.
  2. Chimpradamus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Cat herder
    Cute. On this side of the pond my country (Sweden) hopes to have everyone vaccinated by maybe this autumn. It will probably take longer than that. Why? Because of a constant lowering estimate from the medicine companies how many doses they can deliver. The only ones who have started to receive vaccinations are people over 70-75+. 15% over 18 years of age have received one dose, 6% have been fully vaccinated.

It's a farce. It seems open trade is fine and dandy unless it's something actually important. Astra Zeneca is a British/ Swedish medical company, yet basically all doses seem to end up in British hands.

3. Flukeshot Fletcher Activate! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    9-5'ing
    Ontario just announced that people 18+ in hotspot areas will be eligible soon. So if any Leafs or Sens happen to have their home address in one of those areas they could receive it.

4. The Grim Reaper Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Sweden become the model for how not to handle COVID?

5. IamNotADancer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    For whatever reason they don't advertise the shot. If a friend hadn't told me I could get a shot at CVS I still wouldn't be vaccinated. Walk into one of your local pharmacies and ask around. Someone is bound to have it.

Didn't need an appointment, just walked in and got mine.

6. OiledUp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    One of the lower excess mortalitet rates in europe so far so while I think success/failure is hard/impossible to assess at this point I wouldn't say Sweden is doing much worse than other countries.

bl02 and Chimpradamus like this.
  7. Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 35,000
    Bruins are not unless they met criteria to get it earlier and if any of them met those criteria, they wouldn't be playing hockey.

MA opens up for all on April 19th so I expect them to get it then.

8. markog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah but it will have to be again and again and again....

9. alphahelix Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    IMHO, as long as healthcare workers and people in high-risk for mortality categories are vaccinated, the VERY NEXT group should be those with high risk for transmission, and that is hockey players (among many others). They travel all over the place, the Canucks are a fetid swamp of festering disease and malady.... Vaccinate these guys next. I think the Canadian government would be correctly maligned if they vaccinated them before the aforementioned groups, but I believe we are getting very close to a stage where they ought to be prioritized. They are providing a certain service, which while not essential may be helpful to a section of the populace. I say let them have it and maybe in exchange get the star players to participate in a pro-vaccination PR bump (might actually help get through to the Alberta/Ontario rednecks) and call it a day.

10. Gee Wally HF’s Grumpy Old Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 63,514
    Awards:
  11. Luigi Lemieux Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No, go to the CVS website you can schedule one in five min.

12. Drake1588 UNATCO

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Being a Swedish company is less important than Sweden's domestic manufacturing capacity, which I believe is not very high (likely owing to very high labor rates in Sweden versus labor rates in other countries). Canada had considerable manufacturing capacity until as recently as the Harper Government too, but they elected to eliminate that manufacturing capacity in favor of dependence on the US and UK.

Nations just aren't exporting vaccines in large quantities until their domestic polities are taken care of, not if they are democracies. The people won't allow it, and there are very few exceptions to that maxim. It's easier for governments in Russia and China to do it to try and score points, because they aren't beholden to their domestic supporters. Fair ain't got nothing to do with it. It's politics.

Once the US has largely vaccinated those who want it domestically, though, the floodgates are going to open, especially for the easily stored and administered single-dose J&J shot. Massive exports will start shortly thereafter. They have to get their own house in order first, though.

I expect there will be a much more diversified global vaccine manufacturing base after this experience. Diversification is good, and should help eliminate bottlenecks in future.

Thordic likes this.
  13. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    NHL and the PA agreed that players are not required to get the vaccine if they do not want to. It's still their choice.

14. SFKingshomer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I've heard from several people that said it's wise to take a couple days off after the vaccine particularly the 2nd shot. That would be tough to do as a professional athlete although they may not get as exhausted as most.

15. violaswallet Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It’s really only one day off for Moderna; not fun (fever) but worth it. Heck delay a game if need be for the team; it’s much better than a breakout

16. ScaredStreit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think it depends on the person. The 1st dose of pfizer kicked my ass. The 2nd I was fine.

17. TopChedder Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    How do they play teams that are vaccinated in the USA? How would it be fair if a Canuck situation happens let's say towards the finals but your opponent has no such worry?

It will have to be a league thing. I am sure the NHLPA will want that.

18. JimmyG89 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Don't mean to alarm you, but from what I have heard about people that experience this, it is that they previously had COVID. Everyone is different, but I would not be shocked if that was the case. I hope for your sake that it was just being part of an anomaly.

19. RobBrown4PM Pringles?

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, probably.

Good thing is that most people are not effected by it to the degree where it becomes a major issue. Unfortunately the thing spreads like a wildfire from a biological perspective where it then becomes a problem for the population it can really harm.

NHL players, and everyone else, will likely need to be vaccinated every year, muchike the flu shot.

20. JT Kreider FIRE GORDIE CLARK

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No it is not difficult to get an appointment.

21. BertCorbeau Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not really sure there's much to discuss here that won't devolve this into an OT COVID thread.

I'm going to close it up.

Summer Rose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.