Rangers have been vaccinated (1st dose)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Pretty sure it will be a league wide thing. You can't have some vaccinated and others not, that would make no sense playing against each other.

Don't think which country you are in will factor into this.

Yea, that’s not gonna happen in canada. The players will wait their turn like everyone else

Reactions: Andrei79

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Cute. On this side of the pond my country (Sweden) hopes to have everyone vaccinated by maybe this autumn. It will probably take longer than that. Why? Because of a constant lowering estimate from the medicine companies how many doses they can deliver. The only ones who have started to receive vaccinations are people over 70-75+. 15% over 18 years of age have received one dose, 6% have been fully vaccinated.

It's a farce. It seems open trade is fine and dandy unless it's something actually important. Astra Zeneca is a British/ Swedish medical company, yet basically all doses seem to end up in British hands.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Ontario just announced that people 18+ in hotspot areas will be eligible soon. So if any Leafs or Sens happen to have their home address in one of those areas they could receive it.

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Cute. On this side of the pond my country (Sweden) hopes to have everyone vaccinated by maybe this autumn. It will probably take longer than that. Why? Because of a constant lowering estimate from the medicine companies how many doses they can deliver. The only ones who have started to receive vaccinations are people over 70-75+. 15% over 18 years of age have received one dose, 6% have been fully vaccinated.

It's a farce. It seems open trade is fine and dandy unless it's something actually important. Astra Zeneca is a British/ Swedish medical company, yet basically all doses seem to end up in British hands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Sweden become the model for how not to handle COVID?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I live in NY, I thought it was 30+ only. I know they allowed 30+ year olds just a week ago.

For whatever reason they don't advertise the shot. If a friend hadn't told me I could get a shot at CVS I still wouldn't be vaccinated. Walk into one of your local pharmacies and ask around. Someone is bound to have it.

Didn't need an appointment, just walked in and got mine.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Think I read the Bruins and Red Wings are as well
Bruins are not unless they met criteria to get it earlier and if any of them met those criteria, they wouldn't be playing hockey.

MA opens up for all on April 19th so I expect them to get it then.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Its not like the vaccine is some sort of force shield. The vaccine can still enter your system, but the vaccine allows your body to quickly recognize the threat and start pumping our antibodies, giving your body and immensely powerful defence system.

Yeah but it will have to be again and again and again....

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Are hockey players considered essential workers? Because it sure as hell isn't any other criterion that they meet.

IMHO, as long as healthcare workers and people in high-risk for mortality categories are vaccinated, the VERY NEXT group should be those with high risk for transmission, and that is hockey players (among many others). They travel all over the place, the Canucks are a fetid swamp of festering disease and malady.... Vaccinate these guys next. I think the Canadian government would be correctly maligned if they vaccinated them before the aforementioned groups, but I believe we are getting very close to a stage where they ought to be prioritized. They are providing a certain service, which while not essential may be helpful to a section of the populace. I say let them have it and maybe in exchange get the star players to participate in a pro-vaccination PR bump (might actually help get through to the Alberta/Ontario rednecks) and call it a day.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
So everyone 16+ in NY state can get vaccinated. Sure, but isn't it relatively difficult still to get an actual appointment?

If so, did the Rangers miraculously find appointments for the entire team at once and all were possibly vaccinated in one day, or maybe had some "help"?

Maybe many of the Nets and Knicks will refuse. Isn't that the sentiment so far with some or many NBA players, especially if Black?
No, go to the CVS website you can schedule one in five min.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia

Being a Swedish company is less important than Sweden's domestic manufacturing capacity, which I believe is not very high (likely owing to very high labor rates in Sweden versus labor rates in other countries). Canada had considerable manufacturing capacity until as recently as the Harper Government too, but they elected to eliminate that manufacturing capacity in favor of dependence on the US and UK.

Nations just aren't exporting vaccines in large quantities until their domestic polities are taken care of, not if they are democracies. The people won't allow it, and there are very few exceptions to that maxim. It's easier for governments in Russia and China to do it to try and score points, because they aren't beholden to their domestic supporters. Fair ain't got nothing to do with it. It's politics.

Once the US has largely vaccinated those who want it domestically, though, the floodgates are going to open, especially for the easily stored and administered single-dose J&J shot. Massive exports will start shortly thereafter. They have to get their own house in order first, though.

I expect there will be a much more diversified global vaccine manufacturing base after this experience. Diversification is good, and should help eliminate bottlenecks in future.

Reactions: Thordic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do we know if that hasn’t already happened? I doubt there will be any repercussions. At the end end of the day it’s up to each individual to decide for themselves.
NHL and the PA agreed that players are not required to get the vaccine if they do not want to. It's still their choice.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I've heard from several people that said it's wise to take a couple days off after the vaccine particularly the 2nd shot. That would be tough to do as a professional athlete although they may not get as exhausted as most.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I've heard from several people that said it's wise to take a couple days off after the vaccine particularly the 2nd shot. That would be tough to do as a professional athlete although they may not get as exhausted as most.
It’s really only one day off for Moderna; not fun (fever) but worth it. Heck delay a game if need be for the team; it’s much better than a breakout

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I think it depends on the person. The 1st dose of pfizer kicked my ass. The 2nd I was fine.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Yea, that’s not gonna happen in canada. The players will wait their turn like everyone else

How do they play teams that are vaccinated in the USA? How would it be fair if a Canuck situation happens let's say towards the finals but your opponent has no such worry?

It will have to be a league thing. I am sure the NHLPA will want that.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think it depends on the person. The 1st dose of pfizer kicked my ass. The 2nd I was fine.

Don't mean to alarm you, but from what I have heard about people that experience this, it is that they previously had COVID. Everyone is different, but I would not be shocked if that was the case. I hope for your sake that it was just being part of an anomaly.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah but it will have to be again and again and again....

Yeah, probably.

Good thing is that most people are not effected by it to the degree where it becomes a major issue. Unfortunately the thing spreads like a wildfire from a biological perspective where it then becomes a problem for the population it can really harm.

NHL players, and everyone else, will likely need to be vaccinated every year, muchike the flu shot.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So everyone 16+ in NY state can get vaccinated. Sure, but isn't it relatively difficult still to get an actual appointment?

If so, did the Rangers miraculously find appointments for the entire team at once and all were possibly vaccinated in one day, or maybe had some "help"?

Maybe many of the Nets and Knicks will refuse. Isn't that the sentiment so far with some or many NBA players, especially if Black?

No it is not difficult to get an appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad