Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
chatter is that Hextall has the inside track for Fla GM job,
given investment in Bob and coach Q,
GM experience may be a priority

Reactions: egelband

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Heard the podcast on my drive home from downstate last night... Great for Mellanby for getting a nod, liked hearing that. It sounded pretty obvious Friedje knew Drury wasn't really going to happen and he was the least likely.

I feel like he's not going anywhere... I wouldn't be surprised if JD and Co are letting him take interviews to get more acclimated with the process in general. More of a learning experience.

And sidebar, I just tried Colony Grill last time. Was definitely a fan.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Only natural for Mellanby to get the job. He played for them and is therefore always close with the organization.

Reactions: CasusBelli

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
I get that it'd be a step up in terms of career and income tax evasion for the win, but why would you want to be a part of Florida and their twelve fans?

Crazy to think someone would want to live/work somewhere with better weather and be responsible for creating a fanbase in an untapped market because the team has been largely crap for two decades.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Crazy to think someone would want to live/work somewhere with better weather and be responsible for creating a fanbase in an untapped market because the team has been largely crap for two decades.

If the fanbase is untapped after 27 years, that's a problem. Like many New Yorker, my father winters in Florida. By his account Panther games never sell out unless the Rangers, Bruins, Habs or Wings are in town. Is that because the team has been largely crap for two decades or because there's just not a fanbase?

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
If the fanbase is untapped after 27 years, that's a problem. Like many New Yorker, my father winters in Florida. By his account Panther games never sell out unless the Rangers, Bruins, Habs or Wings are in town. Is that because the team has been largely crap for two decades or because there's just not a fanbase?

Think of it like this: do you think not being able to win a single playoff series since 1996 is going to result in a huge rabid fanbase for a relatively new team in an untraditional hockey market?

But I'd really rather not get into this debate when this thread is really about Drury. Only reason I posted in the first place was to provide an alternate answer to the dude who couldn't fathom why someone would want to challenge themselves with the Panthers GM job.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Think of it like this: do you think not being able to win a single playoff series since 1996 is going to result in a huge rabid fanbase for a relatively new team in an untraditional hockey market?

But I'd really rather not get into this debate when this thread is really about Drury. Only reason I posted in the first place was to provide an alternate answer to the dude who couldn't fathom why someone would want to challenge themselves with the Panthers GM job.

I literally provided two reasons why he'd take the job in the post you're referring to. No "alternate answers" required, dude.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
What?!?! Why?! A lot of four-letter words are coming to mind right now. Damn Kitties.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I didn't realize how terrible the Panthers history was. Wow.
Fixed.

Ten years of watching that team was excruciating. Keenan is the coach — accountability! Nope. Got a scorer in Horton! Hardly. A number one defenseman in J-Bo! Traded too early. A sold two-way player in Olesz! Don’t get me started ...

Luongo was the only bright spot in that team — until he was traded for Bertuzzi and a backup — and he wasn’t even a Panthers pick. Jokinen was a locker room cancer like no other. Sad franchise.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I didn't realize how terrible the Panthers post season history was. Wow.
It's kinda nuts. They were a really good expansion team right out of the gate. Missed the playoffs by a combined 2 points in their first two seasons. Made the Finals in their third season. No series wins in the 4 playoff appearances in 20+ years since then.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's kinda nuts. They were a really good expansion team right out of the gate. Missed the playoffs by a combined 2 points in their first two seasons. Made the Finals in their third season. No series wins in the 4 playoff appearances in 20+ years since then.

If you want a good laugh, look at how many post-seasons Calgary actually won a play off series since they won a Cup in 1989

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That Cup run was great. I love some of those guys. Mellanby, Svehla, Stu Barnes, Garpenlov, Laus, and so many more guys that went on the be big. Jovanovski and Dvorak as rookies, a young Straka, a young Rob Niedermayer. Beezer.

And it was ended with Uwe Krupp putting the finishing touches on one of the most unexpected postseason performances anyone had ever seen.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I get that it'd be a step up in terms of career and income tax evasion for the win, but why would you want to be a part of Florida and their twelve fans?
I switched my allegiances to the Rangers about 15 years ago — so make that 11. :laugh:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
This is correct. My mates and I in high school would get lower bowl tickets for $30 the day of a game. Often attendance would be below 5,000. Very sad story. But the problem isn’t just that there aren’t many hockey fans in South Florida. The problem is that they built this beautiful arena in the middle of nowhere! The Devils were smart enough to move to Newark from the meadowlands. The Kitties, for some reason, did the reverse. Horrible business decision. If they’d had half a brain, they would have gotten ice facilities for the AAA in proper Miami. Then, with a decent hockey team, you’d have far better attendance — even if not 20K.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Don't know if it's the chicken or the egg but there's just not a lot of youth hockey participation in Florida. 17K in Florida. By comparison the Tri-States have over 80K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad