News Article: Rangers give Panthers permission to talk to Chris Drury

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I saw the tweet reporting Friedman reported it. Where did Friedman say it though?

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
would be a mistake to let drury go, but understandable if he wants to be a GM now.

Chris is one of those guys that will find success wherever he goes, the guy never takes his foot off the gas:
1.) Little League World Series champion
2.) Olympic silver medalist
3.) Stanley Cup Champion
4.) Co-Owner of Colony Grill
5.) Director of player development --> AGM Rangers + GM Wolfpack --> (?) GM Panthers

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I guess he's well thought of, as this is not the first time he has been sought by another team, but what really sticks out in his resume as a front office guy? Even Hartford, this was the first year they were "good" and even then they struggled without Shesterkin around.

I'm sure Chris is fine, but if Gorton is here for the long term, then it's really an inevitability that he'd leave eventually.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I saw the tweet reporting Friedman reported it. Where did Friedman say it though?
I believe it was originally sourced from his latest 31 Thoughts here which doesn't mention explicit permission by NYR to interview or whatever, but I imagine the implication is there since he was named.https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-will-dubas-handle-maple-leafs-off-season/

He might have mentioned something on the latest 31T podcast too, but I haven't listened to it yet.

EDIT: Just listened to the segment on the podcast. He doesn't explicitly mention that NYR let Drury interview/gave permission for Florida to approach him about it. However, maybe he said something on Canadian radio about this permission?

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Keep in mind that while Drury oversees the Wolfpack, he’s almost part of the brain trust who makes other personnel decisions.

When you have front office meetings, it’s not just the GM and president. You’ve got scouts, player personnel input, financial conversations about how to commit money and roster building.

Those meetings are similar to how a business would meet. So Drury is involved in all of those conversations as well.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I believe it was originally sourced from his latest 31 Thoughts here which doesn't mention explicit permission by NYR to interview or whatever, but I imagine the implication is there since he was named.

He might have mentioned something on the latest 31T podcast too, but I haven't listened to it yet.

EDIT: Just listened to the segment on the podcast. He doesn't explicitly mention that NYR let Drury interview/gave permission for Florida to approach him about it. However, maybe he said something on Canadian radio about this permission?
On 31 thoughts podcast he definitely gave the impression that Drury to Florida wouldn't be in the cards.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
On 31 thoughts podcast he definitely gave the impression that Drury to Florida wouldn't be in the cards.
Yeah I don't think Drury is going to be moving on from AGM any time soon, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he moves out only when Gorton is eventually let go.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
would be a mistake to let drury go, but understandable if he wants to be a GM now.

Chris is one of those guys that will find success wherever he goes, the guy never takes his foot off the gas:
1.) Little League World Series champion
2.) Olympic silver medalist
3.) Stanley Cup Champion
4.) Co-Owner of Colony Grill
5.) Director of player development --> AGM Rangers + GM Wolfpack --> (?) GM Panthers

It would suck to lose him, but I certainly won't let it ruin my Christmas.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No issue with the rangers letting him interview. You want to treat your staff well and not make anyone think they are being held back...

but you also sit Chris down and explain how important he is to the organization and they will do whatever is needed to make sure he is happy right where he is

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No issue with the rangers letting him interview. You want to treat your staff well and not make anyone think they are being held back...

but you also sit Chris down and explain how important he is to the organization and they will do whatever is needed to make sure he is happy right where he is
"Chris, we will write into your next contract with us that your weekends will never be ruined by work or anything Rangers related"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

No way they say “no”to an interview and at that point this message is implicit. The actual words will be spoken if he gets an actual offer.

Reactions: Leetch3

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I thought the job was basically Eric Joyce's once Tallon was out.
I was listening to TSN 690 last week and they had a Panthers beat writer on, he mentioned Joyce was at the top of the list, but that they would interview others from outside the organization. A name he mentioned was Scott Mellanby, the first Panthers captain in club history. He's currently an AGM in Montreal, and was given permission to speak with the Panthers late last week...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No way they say “no”to an interview and at that point this message is implicit. The actual words will be spoken if he gets an actual offer.
Just to be clear--are you implying if he receives an offer for the GM position in Florida that the Rangers would say no? Because my understanding is that contracts are generally built in such a way that if an individual is granted an opportunity to speak to another team, and the team offers that employee a promotion/new position (the contracts get very specific about what it and isn't considered a promotion), then the employee doesn't need permission from his current team to accept the promotion/new position.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just to be clear--are you implying if he receives an offer for the GM position in Florida that the Rangers would say no? Because my understanding is that contracts are generally built in such a way that if an individual is granted an opportunity to speak to another team, and the team offers that employee a promotion/new position (the contracts get very specific about what it and isn't considered a promotion), then the employee doesn't need permission from his current team to accept the promotion/new position.

Nah, this is not what I meant. A team can say "no" to an interview in certain situations but it's usually when the original teams' long term plans with respect to the potential candidate are more or less expected to become imminent in the near future. Not a case here obviously. After that if Drury gets an offer - he would need to decided whether to accepted it or not, and so if the Rangers would want to keep him, they would need to "react" to the offer with what their plans for Drury and what they could offer to counteract. My personal view is if Drury reaches this point NYR organization would let him realize this opportunity.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Colony Pizza is about 4 minutes from my place in Stamford.

Holy f***ing overrated. Falls short of city pizza. Falls short of new haven pizza too.

Flavorless garbage, imo. But I won’t let bad pizza ruin my f***ing weekend.

Lolol, I remember being drunk on main st. in Fairfield and still thought it wasn't the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad