Speculation: Rangers getting a top 3 pick?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Rangers have the ammunition for a run at a top-three pick

Speaking of the Rangers, Kevin Allen, from USA Today, speculates that New York could shake up the top of the draft if it chooses to package any or all of its three first-rounders (Nos. 9, 26 and 28), saying "they would grab one of the premium scorers" if a deal got them all the way to the second or third overall spot. Veteran center Kevin Hayes, Allen noted, is also on the trading block.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
If Monteal knew they could get Kotkaniemi at 9 it'd be an interesting move, with the Rangers getting Zadina. But that's probably too much of a risk for them.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Waddell said that the only offer he has gotten for #2 "wasn't even close". I believe it was reported that NYR made an offer, so there you have it. NYR doesn't have the centerpiece to get a deal done. Maybe 3rd Overall is more realistic but I don't see Montreal wanting to drop that low.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Keep the 5 picks we have in the top 50, take BPA and hope for the best. If they trade Hayes it better be for an offer that blows me away. Really hoping we can trade Zucc, Namestnikov and Spooner today to acquire more picks. Wouldn’t mind if they packaged any of these player with ONE pick to move up but hoping that these players can garner a pick on their own. Hoping we can get a 4th pick in the first round. Very excited and nervous over the next 2 days. Every time my phones goes off I jump in anticipation of a trade.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If Monteal knew they could get Kotkaniemi at 9 it'd be an interesting move, with the Rangers getting Zadina. But that's probably too much of a risk for them.

Assuming the Rangers wanted to make that deal I'll bet Montreal could turn around and package 9 and one of the other first rounders to get around 5-6 (if Kotkaniemi is still there at that point).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’m praying rangers don’t trade up to 3, it’ll cost too much and there is little difference between picks 3-9 it’s all pretty much personal preference. I’d trade everything I can for 2nd overall though

Doesn't matter what main stream thinks it's what the team thinks. If the rangers feel Zadina is better than the rest, they'll try.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Here's the problem. Everyone would see Montreal jump so far back and have so much time to see how the draft unfolds and everyone knows MTL is trading back for Kotkaniemi. I feel like either Vancouver of Chicago could see this shake out, get to their pick, call up MTL and say, we are planning on taking Kotkaniemi and put Bergevin over a barrel to cough up blood.

Its absolutely something I would do, because Bergevin would lose his job if he traded back from #3 overall, didnt get his guy, and got just a slew of second tier talent

MTL cant risk trading that far back IMO

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
For the 3rd? No way

I could see that asking price for the 2nd, but I don't think we'd pay it
I agree that's not worth it and I wouldn't pay it either but it's a pretty top-heavy draft with a significant drop off after 3 so I'm not sure why Montreal would do it otherwise

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
So, reading between the line, they could move up to the 3rd as 1-2 won't move.

I think it's too far for the Habs to go down to 9.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So, reading between the line, they could move up to the 3rd as 1-2 won't move.

I think it's too far for the Habs to go down to 9.
Yeh I don't think they'd be comfortable dropping lower than 5/6 unless there is a significant overpay.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Always makes me laugh "All of our 1st for 2nd? Sure! For 3rd? NOOOOOOOOO - END OF THE WORLDDDD"

Then, some other team trades with MTL to get the 3rd overall and those comments become "Oh, the price would be fair, I'd think about it."

Whichever team you cheer for, jumping into any draft's top 3, regardless of how you may perceive the players available at that spot, will always be a hefty price. There's a reason why no such deal has occurred in over a decade for top 4 picks.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I wonder if Montreal can take 9++ and then flip that for a few spots up (say 6 or 7) to get a better shot at Kotkaniemi if they are really worried he'll be gone by 9. Say they get two or all three (best case scenario) of NYR's picks, then trade 9 and multiple of their seconds (they have 4 right?) to move up a few spots?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No chance of this happening unless they add in Chytil. MTL needs a 1C and Kotka will be gone by 9. No way top 2 move.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I agree that's not worth it and I wouldn't pay it either but it's a pretty top-heavy draft with a significant drop off after 3 so I'm not sure why Montreal would do it otherwise
The drop off is after 2, sorry bud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->