Rangers Flyers Directv question

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

Yes. DirecTV has a link where you can plug a zip code in and see what regional sports networks you get. I used to get YES Network and SNY, but that changed for some reason a few years back. I don't subscribe to Sports Pack, because by the grace of God, I get MSG Network, and that's worth my entire cable bill by itself.

This thing has to be fudged. I put in my zip and it says no major sports market, which would be a stretch, but maybe. I put in Allentown and it says it is a Yankees/Nets market which is definitely not true because it is a Philadelphia market 100%.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
LOL perhaps you're moving to a place where sports does not exist!

Well my high school was known for their fine arts and music programs over sports for sure and the small town we are looking at isn't known for anything but old Italian people so yeah probably.

I still think that DTV will be lumping us into the Philadelphia market in the end.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Well my high school was known for their fine arts and music programs over sports for sure and the small town we are looking at isn't known for anything but old Italian people so yeah probably.

I still think that DTV will be lumping us into the Philadelphia market in the end.

I think you're probably right but I would have said the same about Hammonton and that's obviously not the case, so perhaps you'll get lucky. Good luck.

Ruotsalainen29

Zhoo-Zhitsu!
Apr 17, 2007
NJ
I live in Northfield...close enough to Hammonton.... I really hope this game is on

From what I can tell, the regional sports network boundaries for DirecTV are 100 miles. If you go into google and search distance from Hammonton to New York, NY you get 98.2 miles. Hammonton gets the MSG Networks. Northfield is over 100 miles and no MSG. That's my guess anyway.

I live in Mercer County which is within 50 miles of NY but my zip is considered the Philly market so I get the Philly locals and not the NY locals (the Philly news is depressing btw). I get all the NY regional sports. MSG, YES, SNY.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
As stated earlier, unless you are in the New York market, you will only be able to watch the NBC broadcast of the game. If you have the Sports Pack with DirecTV, you'll be able to watch the pre- and post-game shows on MSG, but the game will be blacked out, and you'll need to watch on CNBC.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
As stated earlier, unless you are in the New York market, you will only be able to watch the NBC broadcast of the game. If you have the Sports Pack with DirecTV, you'll be able to watch the pre- and post-game shows on MSG, but the game will be blacked out, and you'll need to watch on CNBC.

But if you are in the Philly marked I think it will be blacked out on CNBC. Not completely sure, though.

Ruotsalainen29

Zhoo-Zhitsu!
Apr 17, 2007
NJ

Nope. I'm technically in the Philly market and I pay for the regional sports pack which includes MSG. I've never had a game blacked out. I get it as a regular channel, all day and night.

Edit: as stated earlier, it depends on your zip code and proximity to NYC. Not necessarily the actual market. Regional sports markets and local home markets are 2 different things with DTV.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
It should really only affect those in the Philadelphia DMA. For Thursday night's game, for example, the national telecast will not be available in New York or Philly, I don't believe. No problem in New York, as most of us would rather listen to Sam and Joe anyway.

But in Philly you will be blacked out of the national telecast, and you also cannot see the local telecast, as DirecTV does not carry Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia - a saga that has been ongoing for a looooong time. So you are out of luck.

They will be looking through that prism to see that spectrum for a looong time....

The whole saga deals with the old PRISM network, the microwave relay, and the terrestrial exception that CSN-Philly gets as a result of being born out of PRISM.

CSN-Philly is not obligated and cannot be forced to offer its signal to DTV or Dish because they transmit their feed via microwave and not via satellite. Since they cannot be forced to uplink, they will use sports to prop up the cable outfit over the DBS guys...

I have family in PA, and they live in areas where:
1. Their street is not wired for cableTV.
2. They live in what is deemed the Flyer territory.
3. If they sub to DTV or Dish and sub to Center Ice, they cannot receive Flyer games because they are considered "in market" even though they cannot receive CSN-Philly.

So they don't get Flyer games unless they are nationally exclusive ones. They cannot even watch the road team feed if they sub to center ice...

So if you live in South Jersey, and are in Flyer country, you should be able to subscribe to Center Ice and get the Rangers, except when they play the Flyers.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
They will be looking through that prism to see that spectrum for a looong time....

The whole saga deals with the old PRISM network, the microwave relay, and the terrestrial exception that CSN-Philly gets as a result of being born out of PRISM.

CSN-Philly is not obligated and cannot be forced to offer its signal to DTV or Dish because they transmit their feed via microwave and not via satellite. Since they cannot be forced to uplink, they will use sports to prop up the cable outfit over the DBS guys...

I have family in PA, and they live in areas where:
1. Their street is not wired for cableTV.
2. They live in what is deemed the Flyer territory.
3. If they sub to DTV or Dish and sub to Center Ice, they cannot receive Flyer games because they are considered "in market" even though they cannot receive CSN-Philly.

So they don't get Flyer games unless they are nationally exclusive ones. They cannot even watch the road team feed if they sub to center ice...

So if you live in South Jersey, and are in Flyer country, you should be able to subscribe to Center Ice and get the Rangers, except when they play the Flyers.

Great post, great info. You can also add that PA Senator Arlen Specter, probably with cash in his pockets from Comcast, fought to keep this loophole going in Congress and in front of the FCC for years. Only when Comcast needed approval for their merger with NBC did they stop the loophole fight.

The terrestrial loophole was actually closed in January 2010, and Comcast and DirecTV still have not come to an agreement for some reason.

http://variety.com/2010/scene/news/fcc-closes-terrestrial-loophole-1118014055/

Besides CSN Philly, Comcast Sportsnet Houston and Northwest are also not carried by DirecTV, but Comcast Sportsnet Massachusetts, Mid-Atlantic (DC), Chicago, Bay Area, and California are carried by DirecTV. At this point it just comes down to agreeing on a price, like any other carriage agreement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad