Rangers Final Roster

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally with the roster as such Pyatt would be sitting a lot. Not sure that AV feels the same way. AV used him on the pk during preseason which Pyatt hasn't done in a while. Pyatt's inconsistent offense should not be enough on its own to keep him in the lineup. He's going to have to show that he can diversify into areas such as pk and do it well enough to make his inclusion in our lineup worthwhile. That remains to be seen. Asham has somewhat the same problem though Asham at least puts more grit into our lineup.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
interesting comments from AV about the roster choices:

As for Kreider, AV says he didn't have the minutes to give him with the Rangers. Wants him to play in Hartford. Says he could play in the NHL.
Andrew Gross twitter (AGrossRecord)

AV: Falk had alright camp; knows where he's at. Bickel, Allen could be callups if he falters
Steve Zipay twitter (stevezipay)

Sounds like AV/Rangers are giving Falk chance as 7th D early but would be readily willing to call Bickel back up, then eventually, Allen
Pat Leonard twitter (PLeonardNYDN)

wow, that scares me, what does NYR see in Bickel? because I and many other fans see no value in him whatsoever, he's slow gets flat footed a lot, poor passer, poor shooter, bad d coverage, some good hits once in awhile, and can fight, just nothing that we don't have developing already...I hope some team picks him up off waivers and is out of the NYR organization.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
a huge blow to kreider's ego and an Equal boost to Fast's ego..

I can see managment giving someone the "zuccarello sacrife" after a few games...(he was sent Down after 3 games 2 Seasons ago when the team absolutly stank)...

Good for Fast and JT. Well deserved for Kreider. Hrivik's time will come. Lindberg was a little unnoticeable so a little time in Hartford'll help

Really don't get all this nastiness towards Kreider. Can't remember him ever doing anything that would lead me to believe he feels he's more entitled than others. He's an important part of the Rangers future as is Miller, Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath, Allen and maybe Hrivik, Kristo and Yogan. I want them all to do well. Yes they're competing against each other and the veterans and it's okay to like one better than another but if all of them turn out we'll have a hell of a team in the next few years.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Really don't get all this nastiness towards Kreider. Can't remember him ever doing anything that would lead me to believe he feels he's more entitled than others. He's an important part of the Rangers future as is Miller, Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath, Allen and maybe Hrivik, Kristo and Yogan. I want them all to do well. Yes they're competing against each other and the veterans and it's okay to like one better than another but if all of them turn out we'll have a hell of a team in the next few years.
Exactly. There are a few posters in particular who despise kreider for reasons i dont know

Drewbackatu*

yupp... Hrivik surprised me, played a good game, and is someone going into this camp didnt think he was high on the rangers prospect, but deff opened my eyes..

Kreider, has effort issues.. guy picks and chooses when to skate, and as a rookie or young player he needs a fire lite under his ass, bc he shows glimpses of brilliance and we all know he has a ton of skill.. its not so much about stats, but effort and effectiveness (isn't engaged in the game like Miller/Hags etc)

Exactly right. One has to wonder if Kreider will ever get it.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
wow, that scares me, what does NYR see in Bickel? because I and many other fans see no value in him whatsoever, he's slow gets flat footed a lot, poor passer, poor shooter, bad d coverage, some good hits once in awhile, and can fight, just nothing that we don't have developing already...I hope some team picks him up off waivers and is out of the NYR organization.

It could be something as simple as the fact that he's a very likeable and coachable player. A "yes coach" player. We'll never know because we're not in the locker room but that more often than not explains the inexplicable mancrushes that coaches develop over certain players.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yeah, will we learn from it though?

Not long ago a Kreider vs Nash argument wasn't unusual at this place... ;)

Honestly, anyone seriously arguing that was a loon to begin with. Got a few of them around here, and it often fans the flames around particular hot button players.

Obviously disappointing camp from Kreider. No other way to slice it. I look at it as: he looked pretty brutal for half a freshman year at BC...and then half a year plus in the AHL...but consistently found a way to improve. If he doesn't make it, it won't be because of work ethic. He needs the big minutes in Hartford, and frankly to just be left alone a bit to work through his reads and simplify his game.

EDIT - and with Kreider it often "feels" like such a long time in many ways, feels longer than it really has been. It's easy to forget that he really hasn't played that much pro hockey.

Last edited:

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Exactly. There are a few posters in particular who despise kreider for reasons i dont know

im glad to see some have not lost faith in a young player struggling to break into the league as a consistent NHL player....nobody has patience. This is going to be really good for Kreider, his career, and his development as a hockey player.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
im glad to see some have not lost faith in a young player struggling to break into the league as a consistent NHL player....nobody has patience. This is going to be really good for Kreider, his career, and his development as a hockey player.
I still will bet he will be better in the longrun than new favorites miller and fast

Bardof425*

well that's why he won't play on 1st and 2nd line. 3rd line is the checking line, right?

I do get the idea of having 3 offensive lines though ...

You need at least three lines that are an offensive threat. Cannot have two lines that rarely score.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
It could be something as simple as the fact that he's a very likeable and coachable player. A "yes coach" player. We'll never know because we're not in the locker room but that more often than not explains the inexplicable mancrushes that coaches develop over certain players.

Also, that makes Bickel our #8 or #9 defenseman. Those guys really aren't supposed to be good at the NHL-level. Take a look around the league at comparable players.
I think McI and probably Johnson are better, though. Could understand if they want McI to get big minutes at HFD.

16 To Stanley*

I still will bet he will be better in the longrun than new favorites miller and fast

Agreed. The kids head got so screwed up last year. He's in Hartford, then in the NHL, then back in Hartford then playing 4 minutes a night in the NHL, then back in Hartford then in the playoffs playing big minutes.

Sometimes players take a little longer to develop. I don't think it's effort issues at all, i don't understand where people are getting that idea from. There hasn't been one peep about a problem with his effort.

What it seems to me is that he doesn't quite get what type of player he is. He is a winger and I get the feeling (as i didn't see him much) that in college, everything was on his shoulders and he was playing all areas of the ice. He needs to realize, in the NHL, as a winger, it's up and down on one side of the ice. When he limits his game to that and takes a more simplistic approach is when he looks his best.

I understand why Torts did what he did last year. With the short season, every game was vitally important. But this year is a normal year. Start him in Hartford, get him to understand a game-plan and then call him up when he's ready.

Honestly, with the way last year was run, this is the first real year of his development that i will put weight into. If he completely ***** the bed this whole year, I will have my doubts, until then, i'll reserve judgement.

And i agree with the above poster who said many of you seem to want him to fail just to say i told you so. This kid has very high potential, as we've all seen. Him being successful is a huge bonus

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Agreed. The kids head got so screwed up last year. He's in Hartford, then in the NHL, then back in Hartford then playing 4 minutes a night in the NHL, then back in Hartford then in the playoffs playing big minutes.

Sometimes players take a little longer to develop. I don't think it's effort issues at all, i don't understand where people are getting that idea from. There hasn't been one peep about a problem with his effort.

What it seems to me is that he doesn't quite get what type of player he is. He is a winger and I get the feeling (as i didn't see him much) that in college, everything was on his shoulders and he was playing all areas of the ice. He needs to realize, in the NHL, as a winger, it's up and down on one side of the ice. When he limits his game to that and takes a more simplistic approach is when he looks his best.

I understand why Torts did what he did last year. With the short season, every game was vitally important. But this year is a normal year. Start him in Hartford, get him to understand a game-plan and then call him up when he's ready.

Honestly, with the way last year was run, this is the first real year of his development that i will put weight into. If he completely ***** the bed this whole year, I will have my doubts, until then, i'll reserve judgement.

And i agree with the above poster who said many of you seem to want him to fail just to say i told you so. This kid has very high potential, as we've all seen. Him being successful is a huge bonus

'
Playing with Brad Richards did him no favors either. I still think people ignore the fact that he played very well the last 2 games. he will be back soon and he will be big for us

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY

Think Miller will definitely be the better player in the long run.... Kreider will have the more 'highlight reel' kind of plays, but I don't see him being able to do it consistently.

I think Miller is going to show the consistency and effectiveness on both sides of the puck that is going to make him the better player.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Think Miller will definitely be the better player in the long run.... Kreider will have the more 'highlight reel' kind of plays, but I don't see him being able to do it consistently.

I think Miller is going to show the consistency and effectiveness on both sides of the puck that is going to make him the better player.
Look i like miller but i think people are going a little crazy for him right now. I mean his defense last year was pretty bad. Even this year in the preseason

16 To Stanley*

Richards-Stepan-Nash should be interesting. But Nash is going to need to cut it with the fancy **** and just shoot the puck when he gets it dished to him.

16 To Stanley*

nash had a brutal preseason

All i care about is how he performs in the regular season. He's our best player and was on pace for 40 goals last year.

Most players like that don't exert themselves 110% in the pre-season.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
All i care about is how he performs in the regular season. He's our best player and was on pace for 40 goals last year.

Most players like that don't exert themselves 110% in the pre-season.
i agree. i never said he was going to be bad in the regular season

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

As much as Bickel is a borderline NHLer at best, I don't actually think he's been as bad as people like to make him out to have been. He certainly suffers in comparison to the great D we've been bringing through the system, but that doesn't change that he's an okay player and a hard worker. I think people just generally expect too much out of depth defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad