Rangers Fan with a Calder race question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Why doesn't Lundqvist get more attention paid to him with regards to the ROY award than he does.

It seems like this is a 2 horse race in most people's eyes, when reality says that a player that carries their team to greater heights should be given more credit than putting up numbers.

Granted, a large reason the Rangers find themselves in the position they are is due to Jagr, but I'd say that as large of a reason or even larger is due to the play of Henrik Lundqvist.

Not sure why Henrik doesn't get mentioned.

Obviously being a Rangers fan I have somewhat rose colored glasses, but based on their production, and the teams standing in relation to their production, I really can't see how Lundqvist isn't leading the Calder race right now.

to me he's been the best rookie thus far this season

Flame away

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Arguments about preseason hype aside...

I think because what Ovechkin and Crosby are doing offensively is stealing the show. But just behind Ovechkin and Crosby are Lundqvist and Svatos.

Both Crosby and Ovechkin are in the top 25 in league scoring. When was the last time any rookie finished the year in the Top 25 in scoring? (I'm sure there is someone out there that will look this up)

Last edited:

Spooky371*

But a thing its sure its that if Svatos have his great season last season he won the calder, same thing for Lundqvist, same thing for Phaneuf and probably same thing for Prucha too.

This year its awesome

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Spooky371 said:
But a thing its sure its that if Svatos have his great season last season he won the calder, same thing for Lundqvist, same thing for Phaneuf and probably same thing for Prucha too.

This year its awesome

Incredibly awesome year for youngsters. The work stoppage gave them an extra year to develop.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
watching the Pens and Rags game today was the first chance Ive had to see Lundqvist and I have to say I am very very impressed, he has made some spectacular saves, and considering he plays for the Rangers its hard to believe he isnt getting a lot of publicity

Sid and Ovechkin have gotten so much publicity it will be hard for anyone else to beat them if they continue playing as well as they have been though

Prucha and Svatos definitely deserve a lot of credit as does Phaneuf too

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

David A. Rainer said:
Arguments about preseason hype aside...

I think because what Ovechkin and Crosby are doing offensively is stealing the show. But just behind Ovechkin and Crosby are Lundqvist and Svatos.

Both Crosby and Ovechkin are in the top 25 in league scoring. When was the last time any rookie finished the year in the Top 25 in scoring? (I'm sure there is someone out there that will look this up)

Fair enough about top 25 in scoring, but Lundqvist was top 3 in both GAA and Save Percentage

Chuck Norris*

lets see crosby won the crosby vs ovechkin game... now he scores the game winning ot goal in the crosby vs lundquist game....... thats why

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Lundquist IMO does get what he deserves in attention, lately on here ive seen alot more talk about him than Crosby or Ovechkin ... i mean that takes some doing. In a normal year he would win the calder, say like the previous calder race which was weak. I just think he is behind Ovechkin.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Chuck Norris said:
lets see crosby won the crosby vs ovechkin game... now he scores the game winning ot goal in the crosby vs lundquist game....... thats why

Right because awards are decided based on head-to-head game matchups...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Chuck Norris said:

And he also won the diving event, also.

Crosby needs to mature a hell of a lot more before he gets a lot of respect in my book. The kid is talented as all get out, but his maturity level is EXTREMELY below par. It's a shame, also, since he is definately electrifying and fun to watch. I wish he'd just grow up. Seems all the hype got to his head or something.

And Lundqvist stoned the Pens left and right tonight. The Rangers played mediocre 5 on 3 hockey but the refs basically handed you the game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Unknownbutfamous said:
Crosby has Mario, Ziggy,Leclair, and Gonchar.
And yet he's leading these group in goals, assists, points, game winning goals, etc...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Evilo said:
And yet he's leading these group in goals, assists, points, game winning goals, etc...

You still can't say that Crosby is doing as much as Ovechkin is. Ovechkin is litterally playing with a few minor leaguers and is STILL dominating on the ice. Crosby at least has the supporting cast to make it a bit easier for him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jon Prescription said:
the refs basically handed you the game.
Pens : 3 for 9 on PP.
Rangers : 3 for 9 on the PP.

And let's not forget the penalty at the end of regulation that gave the Rangers a tie.

You're right we were given the game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jon Prescription said:
You still can't say that Crosby is doing as much as Ovechkin is. Ovechkin is litterally playing with a few minor leaguers and is STILL dominating on the ice. Crosby at least has the supporting cast to make it a bit easier for him.
I don't think the gap is as big as some want it to be.
Let's not turn this thread into yet another Ovechkin-Crosby thread, but let's face it : they have numbers that are very close, and Sid has more pressure than anyone on his shoulders.
Sure Ovechkin doesn't have Palffy (because let's be honest, the rest sucks), but he doesn't have half Sid's pressure.
In any case, I'm a fierce Ovechkin defender, so the debate is moot.
Both players are amazing.
But yet again this site is filled with bandwagonners.
They get on their knees after prospects and when they hype they've created gets too strong, they blame the prospects in a sickenning way.
Look at Fleury. Touted as the new Brodeur by many here, gets drafted, plays on his head for his first NHL month (leading the NHL in save % and a GAA under 2.00), turns on a good performance in the WJC until that storied final, and from there he was touted as a choker. No matter what he did, it was viewed as negative. He played well in the NHL? Well he didn't dominate in the AHL. Then, he dominated the AHL? Well, he has to prove himself in the NHL, etc.., etc..., etc...
Now Fleury has totally dominated the AHL level this year, and has played great with Pittsburgh, and for instance he stoned the Flyers a couple of days ago. Yet did you see any mention of it here? Any thread started saying how great he played?
Nope.

Plenty (the majority) of posters here are bandwagonners, always have been, always will be.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Both of them are having incredible campaigns, each with a goal and an assist and the #1 star this afternoon in wins after regulation play expired, against tough Atlantic Division opponents.

I think you've got an elite top five of Lundqvist, Phaneuf, Svatos, Crosby, and Ovechkin. The exact order is open to debate, but they're outstanding rookies at the head of a very strong class. Lundqvist is certainly making a strong case for himself as he posts not just strong starts, but consistently stellar play as the season progresses. Two other rookie goalies, namely Jason Labarbera and Cam Ward, started strong but tailed off after a while. Lundqvist's consistency as the starter on a contending team is what impresses me most.

Last edited:

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
And he also won the diving event, also.

Crosby needs to mature a hell of a lot more before he gets a lot of respect in my book. The kid is talented as all get out, but his maturity level is EXTREMELY below par. It's a shame, also, since he is definately electrifying and fun to watch. I wish he'd just grow up. Seems all the hype got to his head or something.

And Lundqvist stoned the Pens left and right tonight. The Rangers played mediocre 5 on 3 hockey but the refs basically handed you the game.
unfortunately, this post is so completely spot on.

crosby has supreme talent, but my god is he developing into a whinny little b*tch. the cheap shots, the constant lobbying to the refs, the dramatic diving - its all just a bit too much coming from an 18 year old with 3 months service under his belt. its a shame hollweg didn't teach this guy a lesson in class after he boarded kaspar or took a swipe at henke after the whistle. my hope is that orr dresses the next time pittsburg skates against the rangers - perhaps the lesson will be administered then.

the stuff the league let's this guy get away with coupled with his ego make it impossible to root for him and enjoy him ply his craft.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Evilo said:

Why's that? Because talent can set him up with great passes and talent can finish his passes. Don't overlook that next time Ovechkin feeds his center Brooks Laich for a goal. Or when he converts a pass from Matheiu Biron. He does it ALONE.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Why's that? Because talent can set him up with great passes and talent can finish his passes. Don't overlook that next time Ovechkin feeds his center Brooks Laich for a goal. Or when he converts a pass from Matheiu Biron. He does it ALONE.
but to me, that's not even the most impressive aspect of his game - its his play AWAY from the puck. kid takes the body hard, backchecks like a demon, and i've seen him sacrifice his body - even late in games when the outcome was already decided - to block a shot or clog a passing lane. kid's got class (when he's not playing against team USA!) and is a born leader - head and shoulders better than any rookie skater this season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The only time a goalie or defenseman will win it is in a year where the foreards suck big time in that given year. That is just the reality, similar to imagining an offensive lineman winning MVP or ROY in the NFL. Just does not happen with that type of award.

And this year that is not the case. AO and Crosby were among the most hyped prospects to come out in decades, and even despite the *****ing and moaning about one of them on these boards, everywhere else both are seen to have lived up to that hype in spades. Those two are pretty neck and neck in talent and accomplishments thus far this year to any but the biggest homers. Let us see how the rest of the year plays out, that will tell who will win the Calder at the end of the year. No one else is really in it that I see, not because of talent though I do think both are head and shoulders above those others even though they are world class talents, but because of the realities of the award.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If he didn't dive right before his "non-penalty" check-from-behind on Kaspar, looks like your boy-wonder needs to work on balance and skating. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad