Proposal: Rangers-Ducks (Nash/Fowler)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lindholm is so good that he can use his mind to make sure we still win the Jennings despite Fowler being absolutely awful whilst playing our toughest minutes. Gotta re-sign that guy fast.
Dan Girardi was a #2 on a Presidents' Trophy-winning team. You want him? Didn't think so.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Dan Girardi was a #2 on a Presidents' Trophy-winning team. You want him? Didn't think so.

Girardi makes his defense pair worse dragging down his partner. Fowler,Lindholm and Vatanen have been the leaders of our defense pairs making them better.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What I love is all these threads trying to tell us fowler is awful while requesting him a trade.

Ducks value him as a top 2 defenseman, pony up or move on. Ducks would like to improve their forward Core and if fowler can give us a good return we would do it, but we are more than happy to keep him until next offseason.

I don't think it was a Rangers fan who started this thread. The trade idea came from a Ducks fan. On the first page of the thread we only find 3 inputs from Rangers fans. So.........

Fowler is very good at some things---not so good at some others. If he reminds me of a Rangers defenseman from the past--it's Tom Poti. FWIW I never liked Tom Poti--the hockey player. Poti was a skilled guy though--Poti could be very good offensively. Defensively he could be an adventure and he didn't like the physical part of the game. Later on when his skill eroded a bit Poti did up his physical quotient but at that point he was a bottom pairing D trying to hang on.

It's very likely that Brady Skjei will never put up Cam Fowler's offensive numbers. That being said I'd prefer him over Cam. He has size, skating and defensive acumen. He moves the puck nicely. He's going to be a very good player--and if his offense does come around he's an all situations defenseman. These days you need d-men who can move the puck but I also like d-men who are solid when it comes to defending. Skjei is still developing as a player--it's going to take a bit of time but he's still really good where he is right now. Fowler I don't see the growth anymore. He is what he is.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Man.

First off, your comments are extremely contradictory.

I fully understand how and why you wouldn't want Nash, but you go off off on rants about how Fowler is so amazing. If so, why would the Ducks be looking to move him in the first place? You just run yourself in circles.

To dismiss the "22 your old prospect" that the Ducks "don't need" is just a silly statement that makes you look as biased and uninformed as you cry out about anyone who disagrees with you.

I have not seen many of the Ducks D prospects, but clearly you haven't seen Skjei either.

I don't really want to trade Fowler but if we do we need a good forward who isn't expensive. Because of our forward need and our blueline prospect pool and him being UFA in two years is only reason he is available for trade.

We don't need Skjei we have a strong blueline prospect pool it is our strength. Top 6 forward want and need and if we take any prospects it needs to be forwards not defenseman.

Rangers dont need a #5 dman.

Nice another garbage post

I don't think it was a Rangers fan who started this thread. The trade idea came from a Ducks fan. On the first page of the thread we only find 3 inputs from Rangers fans. So.........

Fowler is very good at some things---not so good at some others. If he reminds me of a Rangers defenseman from the past--it's Tom Poti. FWIW I never liked Tom Poti--the hockey player. Poti was a skilled guy though--Poti could be very good offensively. Defensively he could be an adventure and he didn't like the physical part of the game. Later on when his skill eroded a bit Poti did up his physical quotient but at that point he was a bottom pairing D trying to hang on.

It's very likely that Brady Skjei will never put up Cam Fowler's offensive numbers. That being said I'd prefer him over Cam. He has size, skating and defensive acumen. He moves the puck nicely. He's going to be a very good player--and if his offense does come around he's an all situations defenseman. These days you need d-men who can move the puck but I also like d-men who are solid when it comes to defending. Skjei is still developing as a player--it's going to take a bit of time but he's still really good where he is right now. Fowler I don't see the growth anymore. He is what he is.

Fowler is 24 years old defenseman usually are at the best at a later age.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Girardi makes his defense pair worse dragging down his partner. Fowler,Lindholm and Vatanen have been the leaders of our defense pairs making them better.

But THAT Giradi is not the guy that limped around the ice last year.

The guy has diminished at a ridiculous rate, but last year he came off off-season leg surgery, played with a broken arm, has played more than a season of extra games the past 4-5 years and literally threw himself in front of every shot and body humanly possible.

The guy was also pretty adept at shutting down Ovechkin, Crosby and Giroux in countless playoff games.

The crap Girardi gets now is actually pretty funny.

I laugh at Sather and Dolan for signing him to the stupid contract.

Frankly, with 5 months rest and as a #4, he might actually be OK- just not $6 million OK

Last edited:

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I don't really want to trade Fowler but if we do we need a good forward who isn't expensive. Because of our forward need and our blueline prospect pool and him being UFA in two years is only reason he is available for trade.

We don't need Skjei we have a strong blueline prospect pool it is our strength. Top 6 forward want and need and if we take any prospects it needs to be forwards not defenseman.

Again, you say this so dismissively.

Skjei could very well step in as a #2 next year. He is certainly already high on an NHL depth chart.

So, who on the Ducks backline is as equal/superior that makes his worth so negligible to you?

Just curious.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Skjei could very well step in as a #2 next year. He is certainly already high on an NHL depth chart.

So, who on the Ducks backline is as equal/superior that makes his worth so negligible to you?

Just curious.

He could very well do a lot of things doesn't matter. 12 total NHL games in his career. Our blueline prospect pool being our strength. We would want a top 6 forward and if we take any prospects would be forwards over anything else it is that simple. Only way will take a defenseman for Fowler is if it is McDonagh no others.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
He could very well do a lot of things doesn't matter. 12 total NHL games in his career. Our blueline prospect pool being our strength. We would want a top 6 forward and if we take any prospects would be forwards over anything else it is that simple. Only way will take a defenseman for Fowler is if it is McDonagh no others.

This is the same situation both sides of the coin. Ducks don't need Defensive prospects, Rangers don't need LHD.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Fowler is 24 years old defenseman usually are at the best at a later age.

He's been playing in the NHL since he was 19 years old. That's 6 years now.

Point wise--his best season was his rookie season. He got 40 points that year. It's the only time he's got to 40 points. It's been 40, 29, 11 in 37 games, 36, 34 and last year 28. A replacement for Yandle's offense?--not quite. If you're trying to sell that--you're wasting your time.

Whatever improvements Fowler's made in his defensive game--that area is still pretty mediocre. He's hardly improved on his physical game. FWIW those aspects of Fowler's game are much more comparable to Yandle.

FWIW (again) I'm not a fan of Fowler's. Actually I don't care that much for Nash either. To me his year's with us have been rather disappointing---there have been some highlights mind you and he is a rounded player. Nash back checks like a mofo and that's more than occasionally and he's become a pretty good pk'er but that's not what he's really paid to do and when it comes to crunch time ****ing forget him being more than a passenger.

So I don't feel a lot of love for either Fowler or Nash---though there is a caveat with Rick--I would be more than fine with him if he were making $4 mil instead of almost $8. OTOH I am very excited about Skjei and he would be just about the last player I would be moving and especially for someone--Fowler--who I don't particularly like. Sorry. The Rangers aren't in any case going anywhere anytime soon with either Nash or Fowler in their lineup. Why should we give up another one of our young (Skjei) who is on the cusp of potentially having a great career? ****ing senseless if you ask me.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Not sure what he is tbh, but I don't think he's a Ducks fan. OP has only had a few posts... they were all on the trade board and almost all have to do with Rangers players. Take that for what it's worth.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I guess 15 goals still technically qualifies as scoring goals, but it sure isn't worth $8m.

Anaheim passes.

Ok so the next time any player on Anaheim has a bad season, we'll judge that player based solely on that season.

By that logic, I guess Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler are extremely overpaid then.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
lmao someone said fowler cant get better? Did noone see him in the beginning of the season or in the playoffs? hes only 24 lmaooo i love ranger fans

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016

Just curious.

Hmm lets see. Anaheim Ducks organizational defensive depth.

First you have lindholm. One of the top young Dmen in the league. Btw he's 22.
Then Vatanen. PP Quaterback and stud offensive defenseman. And a coveted RHD. He's 25.
Then Manson. Stay at home Dman with an edge. Lindholm partner. Top Corsi pair in the league. He's 24.
Then Despres. LHD that plays both sides. Concussions set him back last year so hopefully he can rebound. He's 24.

All four of those players have played at least a full nhl season and that's ignoring fowler who is 24.

Shea Theodore is a smooth skating LHD that plays the both sides. Crazy high upside and fowlers replacement. He's 20 and played great in a small sample last year.
Brandon Montour destroyed the AHL last year. Like destoryeddddd. He's 22 and a RHD.
Jacob Larsson played very well in Frolunda last year and is shaping up to be a regular nhler in a couple of years. Has drawn comparisons to Lindholm. He's a LHD and is 19.
Marcus Pettersson is a LHD playing in Sweden. Tall and lanky he's quick but doesn't use his body enough. Has a lot to grow but he's only 20.

The ducks have easily one of the best defensive cores in the nhl. Without stoner and bieksa we could easily have all six defenseman 25 and under and still be a very good defensive core. So yeah. Ducks don't need skeji. Our forward group is lacking. And Nash doesn't make that better.

mytduxfan*

Oh... I get it... it's because Fowler was on the team that won the Jennings, except he was the #1 and carried his pairing. Meanwhile, Girardi was carried by McDonagh. Ha! :sarcasm: Absolutely awful comparable.

No one is using the fact that Fowler was the #1D on the team that won the Jennings in attempt to sell him to you. We're just using it to show how ridiculous your analysis is that he's a #4. Pretty simple concept really.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I heard Fowler. But then I heard Silfverberg.

not_sure_if_want.jpg

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fowler has 2 years left at 4 million per year while Nash has 2 years left at 7.8 million per year.

Not sure why NYR want to trade Nash but if they do, there looking for more than Fowler. Fowler is a top 3 or 4 D man (Maybe top 2 on some teams) while Nash is a pure top 6 forward who scores goals!

After all Nash is worth so much more then Hall :laugh: Fowler is worth so much more then Nash , as d cost a premium .

Now as an Oiler fan I would take Nash on the cheap if Klein comes with him to make up for his negative value

Yakupov , Fayne and a 2nd . I am sure this doesn't entice NYR fans but it what other fans view his value at but more importantly GM don't view wingers as that valuable as we seen with the Hall trade and it was widely known he was available but yet no GM,s offer more

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ok so the next time any player on Anaheim has a bad season, we'll judge that player based solely on that season.

By that logic, I guess Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler are extremely overpaid then.

NYR fans do it all the time , heck most fans do it . It not only the fact he had a bad season it also his cap hit just don't fit with the Ducks internal budget

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why would Rangers want Fowler if they already have a better version in McIlrath? :sarcasm:

On a serious note, gosh i really don`t want Rick Nash. Most of it has to do with his huge salary and the fact that the Ducks are a budget team. We are looking to unload someone on our blueline due to money reasons and the upcoming expansion draft. If we could afford to pay 8+M to R.Nash then there would be no reason to trade Fowler who will earn 8M on the next 2 years COMBINED. And then resign him for less or around the same 8M.

Last edited:

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Hmm lets see. Anaheim Ducks organizational defensive depth.

First you have lindholm. One of the top young Dmen in the league. Btw he's 22.
Then Vatanen. PP Quaterback and stud offensive defenseman. And a coveted RHD. He's 25.
Then Manson. Stay at home Dman with an edge. Lindholm partner. Top Corsi pair in the league. He's 24.
Then Despres. LHD that plays both sides. Concussions set him back last year so hopefully he can rebound. He's 24.

All four of those players have played at least a full nhl season and that's ignoring fowler who is 24.

Shea Theodore is a smooth skating LHD that plays the both sides. Crazy high upside and fowlers replacement. He's 20 and played great in a small sample last year.
Brandon Montour destroyed the AHL last year. Like destoryeddddd. He's 22 and a RHD.
Jacob Larsson played very well in Frolunda last year and is shaping up to be a regular nhler in a couple of years. Has drawn comparisons to Lindholm. He's a LHD and is 19.
Marcus Pettersson is a LHD playing in Sweden. Tall and lanky he's quick but doesn't use his body enough. Has a lot to grow but he's only 20.

The ducks have easily one of the best defensive cores in the nhl. Without stoner and bieksa we could easily have all six defenseman 25 and under and still be a very good defensive core. So yeah. Ducks don't need skeji. Our forward group is lacking. And Nash doesn't make that better.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I know the Duck's core. Very impressive. Inuries do suck though. Rangers had a kid named Michael Sauer a couple of years back, who looked to be a strong 2 way 12-year NHLer, and one big hit after having earlier concussions led him to retire.

Nevertheless, from your writing, Skjei is certainly not a must- but easily slots in at 2 or 3 on your prospect depth chart.

Very similarly, the Rangers had a big guy, Graves, appear out of nowhere as a rookie in the AHL last year. He won hardest shot in the playoff game. Big upside.

I guess, I concede to your point. I just don't care when fans easily dismiss another team's prospects.

Most fan bases get carried away with overrating their own guys to such an extent, it is ludicrous. Then they take it as a personal afront when you offer them a trade that they don't see as a homerun.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Why would Rangers want Fowler if they already have a better version in McIlrath? :sarcasm:

On a serious note, gosh i really don`t want Rick Nash. Most of it has to do with his huge salary and the fact that the Ducks are a budget team. We are looking to unload someone on our blueline due to money reasons and the upcoming expansion draft. If we could afford to pay 8+M to R.Nash then there would be no reason to trade Fowler who will earn 8M on the next 2 years COMBINED. And then resign him for less or around the same 8M.

Yes, Yes, we know the brilliant hockey mind, Glen Sather passed on Folwer for a project in McI...

Funny thing though, if the Rangers had a decent coach, McI might be playing as a very good #4, with a punishing style. Just what they wanted at the time.

After overcoming injuries, he has NEVER been given a real opportunity.

The coach prefers older, poorer players.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I know the Duck's core. Very impressive. Inuries do suck though. Rangers had a kid named Michael Sauer a couple of years back, who looked to be a strong 2 way 12-year NHLer, and one big hit after having earlier concussions led him to retire.

Nevertheless, from your writing, Skjei is certainly not a must- but easily slots in at 2 or 3 on your prospect depth chart.

Very similarly, the Rangers had a big guy, Graves, appear out of nowhere as a rookie in the AHL last year. He won hardest shot in the playoff game. Big upside.

I guess, I concede to your point. I just don't care when fans easily dismiss another team's prospects.

Most fan bases get carried away with overrating their own guys to such an extent, it is ludicrous. Then they take it as a personal afront when you offer them a trade that they don't see as a homerun.

The issue isn't if he is a good player or not, its more where he would fit in. In this case it would be an area where we have a ton of depth already. Depth that we are trying to use to fill in holes in other areas of the team ie forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad