Rangers drop into bottom 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Honestly, yes I would be upset.

Other teams have been committed to rebuilding for several years now, or at least longer than the Rangers have. The Rangers decide to rebuild and then 2 months later get Ovechkin? that would anger me alot.

But that's just my personal opinion

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Til the End of Time said:
Honestly, yes I would be upset.

Other teams have been committed to rebuilding for several years now, or at least longer than the Rangers have. The Rangers decide to rebuild and then 2 months later get Ovechkin? that would anger me alot.

But that's just my personal opinion

They add a bevy of FA, the highest salary the NHL has ever seen, and somehow do badly enough to take Ovechkin away from a rebuilding team. It would be irritating, that's for sure.

Bure9*

Not at all. One, because I'm a Rangers fan. Two, it would be good for the NHL.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EroCaps said:
They add a bevy of FA, the highest salary the NHL has ever seen, and somehow do badly enough to take Ovechkin away from a rebuilding team. It would be irritating, that's for sure.

Hell yeah.

The Penguins have been putting up with this **** for three years and are going through one of the worst seasons in recent memory...and a team that had the second highest payroll at the start of the year wins the lottery and steals Ovechkin from us?

I would kill myself.

I could stand if Washington or Chicago won, even Columbus, I'd be PO'ed but at least those fans have put up with a bad team all season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bure9 said:
Not at all. One, because I'm a Rangers fan. Two, it would be good for the NHL.

How?

Take the biggest phenom since Lindros and put him in the biggest market.

Watch his ego explode and disintegrate.

Before he plays his first game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't be mad at all. The Rangers have tried to win with high priced talent, and they failed miserably. Their poor performance with good talent doesn't make them any less deserving of Ovechkin than other bad teams. It's not like the Pens deserve prospects more because they're committed to sucking.

ragfan

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Hell yeah.

The Penguins have been putting up with this **** for three years and are going through one of the worst seasons in recent memory...and a team that had the second highest payroll at the start of the year wins the lottery and steals Ovechkin from us?

I would kill myself.

I could stand if Washington or Chicago won, even Columbus, I'd be PO'ed but at least those fans have put up with a bad team all season.

Uh, we've had terrible seasons too, ecept in a different way. We haven't made the playoffs in 6 years! ( going for seven now), at least you guys have. You don't know about the Rangers''s struggles, so why even bother to comment?

Hitman*

I agree that it would be good for the league. Put the next big star into the league's biggest and most important market. However, that would be a decision as a businessman. As a hockeyfan, no I wouldn't like it. Just because I think Ovechkin would look better on a Pens jersey.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
ragfan said:
Uh, we've had terrible seasons too, ecept in a different way. We haven't made the playoffs in 6 years! ( going for seven now), at least you guys have. You don't know about the Rangers''s struggles, so why even bother to comment?

Missing the playoffs with a 20 million dollar payroll is one thing, missing it with a 70 million dollar payroll is another.

The Penguins have an excuse, the Rangers don't,.

The Penguins are, bar none, the worst team in the league this year and arguably the worst team in the league since the expansion Senators and Sharks. They deserve the pick far before some team who just doesn't try.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
EroCaps said:
That's the funny thing.
New York could easily re-sign a whackload of UFA's this summer, grab Ovechkin, and have a similar roster to what they iced this season -- except they'd have a whackload of prospects and draft picks to show for it. Not a bad deal for them.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
these comments baffle me.. and here i thought the rangers sucked all these years but some how this team after missing the playoffs for 7 straight years does not deserve to win the lottery.. greed is sad.. jealousy is even sadder.....

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
That's the funny thing.
New York could easily re-sign a whackload of UFA's this summer, grab Ovechkin, and have a similar roster to what they iced this season -- except they'd have a whackload of prospects and draft picks to show for it. Not a bad deal for them.
Not at all...could totally see a soft cap/luxury tax compromise scenario coming from the new CBA and this would be their best mode of action. They should have been doing more of this in years past with their seemingly unlimited revenue.

IMO Ovechkin will do wonders for whatever team that wins his draft rights, even my boring Wild.

A Jagr-Ovechkin-whoever line would be pretty insane tho...

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
oh come on...

How about this:
  • We give all the superstar type prospects to the Pens.
  • Then three years later when the Pens can't sign them, we let the rest of league trade cash for them.

I truly feel for the Pens fans...but lets face facts. The Pens have to be sold and/or relocated. Its a crock and its turning this league into garbage.

I know the Rangers have done their share to hurt the league, but they also generate a lot more interest(which translates to revenue) for the rest of the league.

Even with the Rangers' 70million payroll every team hated them. Every fan hated them. Which is good for the sport. Frankly, no one could give two turds about the Pens. And thats not me bashing the Pens, it's a fact. The Pens had a great tradition, but its time to move on. Before they bring the rest of the league down with them.

So in my opinion it would be fantastic if any team but the Pens draft #1. It would be an utter waste for the Pens to get another prospect which they would need to sell for cash in 2 to 3 years.

Its harsh...but i speak the truth.

Now before all you people jump down my throat...
I have no problem with teams rebuilding. I have no problems with teams keeping low salaries. What I have a problem with is teams that refuse to skate even a mediocre team because of cash concerns. This is detrimental to all other teams because they don't have a prayer of selling out a home game while playing against a no name team.

The Pens will never complete a rebuild process with their current budget. And their budget will never get any larger while they are in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Profet said:
oh come on...

How about this:
  • We give all the superstar type prospects to the Pens.
  • Then three years later when the Pens can't sign them, we let the rest of league trade cash for them.

I truly feel for the Pens fans...but lets face facts. The Pens have to be sold and/or relocated. Its a crock and its turning this league into garbage.

I know the Rangers have done their share to hurt the league, but they also generate a lot more interest(which translates to revenue) for the rest of the league.

Even with the Rangers' 70million payroll every team hated them. Every fan hated them. Which is good for the sport. Frankly, no one could give two turds about the Pens. And thats not me bashing the Pens, it's a fact. The Pens had a great tradition, but its time to move on. Before they bring the rest of the league down with them.

So in my opinion it would be fantastic if any team but the Pens draft #1. It would be an utter waste for the Pens to get another prospect which they would need to sell for cash in 2 to 3 years.

Its harsh...but i speak the truth.

Now before all you people jump down my throat...
I have no problem with teams rebuilding. I have no problems with teams keeping low salaries. What I have a problem with is teams that refuse to skate even a mediocre team because of cash concerns. This is detrimental to all other teams because they don't have a prayer of selling out a home game while playing against a no name team.

The Pens will never complete a rebuild process with their current budget. And their budget will never get any larger while they are in Pittsburgh.

They have the 4th highest tv ratings in the entire league. Not bad for a last place team. The pens just badly need a new arena so they can keep together the team they are building. They are very poor, but to say there's no interest is just an untruth.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

Rev-en-ue Shar-ing, Rev-en-ue

*CLAP CLAP*

Rev-en-ue Shar-ing, Rev-en-ue

*CLAP CLAP*

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
The pens generate far more intrest than the rangers. like servo said above, revenue sharing / salary cap is the way to go. Don't hate the pens for developing players becuase the rangers can't.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Obviously, as A Ranger fan, I'd be happy if they win the lottery.

Refresh my memory please but wasn't the lottery instituted because the Penguins tanked it to get Mario?

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Would you rather watch a team of over paid superstars who can't win? or a team that works hard and at least makes the majority of games intresting? I'd go insane if I was a rangers fan.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
roast said:
Would you rather watch a team of over paid superstars who can't win? or a team that works hard and at least makes the majority of games intresting? I'd go insane if I was a rangers fan.

That was last weeks argument... Go look the rangers made some trades. You might find them interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad