Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ devils -- 4/18/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I’m pretty sure the kids are more than fine with their ice time with the team being in the middle of a playoff hunt. When I look at our players in the last month or so quite often they have smiles on their faces. They’re excited. These games that they’re playing mean something and shared common or team goals come to the fore then over selfish or personal goals. For an individual putting up points is nice but not that nice when your team is losing all the time. That’s why Eichel’s not happy in Buffalo.

Not every game (like the last two) are going to look like masterpieces either. The main thing is to get the job. That said it’s not looking great as far as making the playoffs but even if we fail if we’re on a tear all the way down the stretch the team and the kids will feel good about themselves over the summer.
We have a realistic chance to catch the Isles. 8 points behind, no games in hand, and 3 head to head matches. We have more control of our destiny with them, than we do with Boston,... if we continue to win. Isles only need to lose one game. And they play 3 games against the Caps after facing us Tuesday.

Reactions: romba

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We have a realistic chance to catch the Isles. 8 points behind, no games in hand, and 3 head to head matches. We have more control of our destiny with them, than we do with Boston,... if we continue to win. Isles only need to lose one game. And they play 3 games against the Caps after facing us Tuesday.

Not sure if it’s a big(ger) chance either. Losing even one of 3 will cut the deficit by only 2 points of of 8.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
While I'm happy that the team won all 4 games. And I was really happy to see VK and Laf get on the board today -- I am more than a little worried that the team really only played maybe 4-5 periods of really solid hockey in the 4 games. The teams coming up, outside Philly and Buf, all play a much more structured, hard-nosed, smart style of hockey. And on top of that, Buffalo is finally playing as a team and have looked pretty darn good even in their loss the other night. We needed to use these games not only for points but to sharpen our game, dot our i's, cross our t's. If anything, I thought we've looked pretty darn sloppy and have over-relied on a handful of vets to carry the team. Against these better squads, when they essentially neutralize our best players for long stretches, will the team play detailed oriented enough to push through? I wished we showed a lot more in these games. I blame the coaches for not finding a way to get the players to buy into being crisp and mentally sharp and hungry on a consistent basis. You could blame it on youth, but I'm seeing the sloppiness during the game across the board. Even the guys who are carrying us have played too loose and sloppy.
It's never easy to sweep a 4 games series. And like Quinn said, at the end of the day, all that matters is the 8 points.

IMO I think it would be very hard to keep the intensity up for 240 minutes straight. And so when they built up leads late in the series, they took their foot off the pedal. Even with that mistake, I think they showed great resolve to finish the task at hand.

Tuesday is a new dawn, a new day. And I'm sure they are well aware they must play a full 60 minutes against the Isles. Plus it is very unlikely we open a big lead on them, and then subsequently get complacent.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Not sure if it’s a big(ger) chance either. Losing even one of 3 will cut the deficit by only 2 points of of 8.
We will need all three games. And dare I say in regulation. No small feat. But sweeping the Debbies, no matter how bad our hometown rivals were, gives me hope.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I agree, however my concern is the lack of development. You have a #1 overall pick on the f’ing bench over blackwell. You have the team’s leading goalscorer who can’t get PP time.

This isn’t the way.

Which of the young players hasn't developed this season?

Next season, the lineup will look quite different, but there will always be something to complain about

A coach's job is to win the game. Until they are mathematically eliminated, that's the way it will be.

If Quinn was going against management on player usage, he would be fired. Obviously, he's not.

Your gripe is with management.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I can also point to multiple high draftees, who played 15-20 minutes a night. Everyone wants Eichel. How did Eichel become Eichel? Not by sitting on the bench.

I literally don’t understand this. What top pick has sat this much and succeeded? We have the vets, sure. But what is the plan? To trade Kakko and Laffy after you set them up to fail?

The trade reportedly in the works is Kakko and Laf for Kyle Okposo and a 7th rounder in 2023. If Buffalo wins the Cup, that becomes a 6th rounder.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
My impression is that management is on record saying they want more ice time for the kids this season. Instead we get this.

What would "force the issue" and "remove the safety nets" look like in practice?

Where is this on record?

If accurate, Quinn would have already been shown the door.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Good god we have Edge on our side. Will be really interesting to see if the usual suspects have the balls to call you idiotic/imbecilic/etc. for daring to question the coaching.

I think Edge understands that if management is opposed to how Quinn is coaching, he gets tossed. A pretty big chunk of fans don't get that connect. If management is unhappy with Quinn and they're keeping him, the blame lies solely with management.

If you screw up at your job and your immediate boss keeps doing nothing about it, he will get tossed.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
.....The point is the kid line was created to stuff the problems into one line so its easier to sit them in favor of the vets riding in the big bus with the cool coach.

That's a joke, right?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
While I'm happy that the team won all 4 games. And I was really happy to see VK and Laf get on the board today -- I am more than a little worried that the team really only played maybe 4-5 periods of really solid hockey in the 4 games. The teams coming up, outside Philly and Buf, all play a much more structured, hard-nosed, smart style of hockey. And on top of that, Buffalo is finally playing as a team and have looked pretty darn good even in their loss the other night. We needed to use these games not only for points but to sharpen our game, dot our i's, cross our t's. If anything, I thought we've looked pretty darn sloppy and have over-relied on a handful of vets to carry the team. Against these better squads, when they essentially neutralize our best players for long stretches, will the team play detailed oriented enough to push through? I wished we showed a lot more in these games. I blame the coaches for not finding a way to get the players to buy into being crisp and mentally sharp and hungry on a consistent basis. You could blame it on youth, but I'm seeing the sloppiness during the game across the board. Even the guys who are carrying us have played too loose and sloppy.

4 game sweeps don't worry me. The idea that that doesn't show mental toughness is absurd to me. It's a really tough thing to accomplish. Take the 8 points and move forward.

We all knew before the season that it would be tough for the Rangers to make the playoffs. Now, some fans are angry that they probably won't make it. They're angry about player usage. The thing is that most of these fans will always be angry about something.

This has been a good season for a team in the middle of evolving.

Next season should begin the ascent. The 3rd pair on D is a disaster, but they are our best options on that pair. Just replacing one or both of them next season will make a huge difference if some of the young D are as advertised.

Reactions: leetch99

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
They see everything through their internal misery lenses.

The Rangers just made NHL history by sweeping the same opponent in 4 straight games in a regular season. This is not a small feat but gets forgotten because literally “kids got one less minute of ice time”.
I would be remiss if I didnt start out by saying congrats to Vitali on his 1st NHL goal. This kid is going to be amazing. There I said it.
Now in response, yeah NHL history and may never be duplicated (lets hope not, given as to WHY) Regardless, beating a team 4 consec. rarely happens as stated by Vally.
Jeez. Always nitpicking. They did what they had to do, and time is running out. Not giving up hope, but jeez it seems we are pushing those above us to win, I mean.....they want IN as well, now don't they?
Those lost points to Pittsburgh and even the Devils early on, is where we could say....."what if?" OR, "thats why". But, there's still hope. Just WIN every game and see where that takes us.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If we have any gamblers here who could look up the money line of the Rangers winning 4 games in the row against Devils. Guessing it would've been a nice chunk o' change if someone actually did make this bet.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If we have any gamblers here who could look up the money line of the Rangers winning 4 games in the row against Devils. Guessing it would've been a nice chunk o' change if someone actually did make this bet.

Doubt there was ever a line for that.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
He just signed a 7 year contract on a rebuilding team. If he wanted to be on a contender ASAP he would have left as a UFA
I think he signed his extension with the understanding that he’d be a top 6 player, second to Panarin on the left side. Laf is gonna push him out of that. And if you’re talking RW, Kakko and Krav will keep him out of the top 6 for RW. We may convince him that he’d get more ice time with another team. The issue is if another team would even want that contract.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Blackwell has 9 points in the last 8 games.
I wonder what Blackwell’s role will be next season. He has really made a name for himself this season. Not only the points but he has been consistent and reliable. My hat’s off to him.

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->