Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils -- 4/13/21

3 Stars

• Total voters

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I had this dream the other night that after the Rangers beat Colorado for the Cup in 2025, Fox is going win the Conn Smythe after scoring 34 points throughout the playoffs just as some other dman for us did in '94.

In all seriousness, I still can't get over how good he is at such a young age. He really is the new Leetch!. He will lead us to a Cup or two during this decade...I'm 1000% convinced of it!!

Convinced as well. Taking bets now on WHO will be hoisting the Cup 1st! Haha.
Could be anyone of a njmber of them. Maybe by then, we will have a Captain. Something that STILL needs to be addressed. I'm convinced of that!

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Going to come down to the wire but you get the sense even in this tough a division that a full schedule and we’d get into the top 4. We’ve got too many weapons and too good of a goaltender not to.

the key will be to stay in it till the end and build on it for next season
It will literally just come down to the last two games of the season and NYR probably needing to beat Boston in regulation both games

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
We have no presence in the middle of the zone.

Until that changes, he and a lot of the team will struggle.

Blackwell is the only one not allergic to the high slot. At this point, I don’t know anymore... is it system or player style? Or both?
Kravtsov has constantly been in that area looking for touches, but it seems like no one on the team recognizes it or knows how to use him bc virtually no one else on the team occupies that space.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
During the GDT it was brought up about Kreider fighting Severson and seemingly lost/turtled kind of thing. I made mention that I noticed he had a good scrape on his temple from either Severson's fingernails, or helmet hardware or something - which lead to him immediately turning his head to protect that area... probably a fingernail and I wouldn't doubt even a quick flick at the eye or very close to it which made him immediately protect. Wasn't intentional obviously but definitely factored in on the outcome - glad it wasn't more serious.

Chris-Kreider-fights-Michael-McLeod-during-the-Rangers-Devils-game..jpg

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
To be fair, they were “NHL ready”

We were the ones that made up “Instant superstar/generational talent”

I don't know, we'd have to define NHL ready versus just in the NHL.

Then we'd have to define Superstar too

Kind of seems like to me most of the draftees in their D+1 season are not really ready, Just by the numbers

2020 draft 2020 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Literally 3 so far who have played in the NHL

2019 2019 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com Like 15 total who have played a game or more, and only 6 with over 20 games played.

2018 draft 2018 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com A whole bunch who have played in the NHL for more than just a handful of games.

Seems to me like for the most part D+3 is when most players are deemed ready, where as it's just sort of an arbitrary decision to play the top pick or two in the NHL asap ready or not.

Reactions: kovazub94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The first period was pretty wide open. The second period was a slog, certainly for the Blueshirts, who cobbled together a sum of four shots and whose total offensive-zone time probably amounted to less than 45 seconds. Get it in, allow them to come out. That’s the way it went.

“For the first time all year I didn’t go in between periods,” said coach David Quinn, whose team is 5-1-2 in its last eight games and 10-4-3 since March 13. “[Jacob] Trouba took over, and maybe that’s our new recipe, between periods — me stay out of the locker room.

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin gets first NHL shutout in win over Devils

Finally someone stepping up with the 'leader vacuum'

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Another tidbit from Broosky

“I knew I played my 100th game but I actually didn’t know about the points or think about the points,” Panarin said. “I always try to play 100-percent and I’m very thankful for my partners who helped me get to this point, and I’m not happy 100 percent.”

Not happy 100 percent?

“You can’t be happy 100 percent of the time,” he explained. “Maybe I’m happy 99 percent, but you always have to keep in mind that perfection is never there. Until you win the Stanley Cup, it’s not there.”

With the amount of ruskies on this team, I expect Panarin to take some form of leadership role.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The first period was pretty wide open. The second period was a slog, certainly for the Blueshirts, who cobbled together a sum of four shots and whose total offensive-zone time probably amounted to less than 45 seconds. Get it in, allow them to come out. That’s the way it went.

“For the first time all year I didn’t go in between periods,” said coach David Quinn, whose team is 5-1-2 in its last eight games and 10-4-3 since March 13. “[Jacob] Trouba took over, and maybe that’s our new recipe, between periods — me stay out of the locker room.

Yeah, I was happy to hear that about Trouba.

Valiquette seemed to make it sound like the coach staying out of the locker room between periods is really common after the DQ press conference where he said that.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah, I was happy to hear that about Trouba.

Valiquette seemed to make it sound like the coach staying out of the locker room between periods is really common after the DQ press conference where he said that.
It's normal for most teams.. unless you baby your players or micro manage them.... or you're Torts.

If they look like shit in any given period, I am in the camp where the coach should intervene and 'lay it on them'.

I miss old Quinn. I do not know what happened but he's mellowed out. He had a fire in year 1 and year 2. He would yell at everyone during practice, stop practice when they were 'half assing' things and show more emotion during the game. Now he's flat and sterile... corporate almost.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I don't know, we'd have to define NHL ready versus just in the NHL.

Then we'd have to define Superstar too

Kind of seems like to me most of the draftees in their D+1 season are not really ready, Just by the numbers

2020 draft 2020 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Literally 3 so far who have played in the NHL

2019 2019 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com Like 15 total who have played a game or more, and only 6 with over 20 games played.

2018 draft 2018 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com A whole bunch who have played in the NHL for more than just a handful of games.

Seems to me like for the most part D+3 is when most players are deemed ready, where as it's just sort of an arbitrary decision to play the top pick or two in the NHL asap ready or not.

Thanks for the stats. I agree with what you said regarding D+3. There are very few players that will overwhelm before that as backed up by your numbers.

I guess my point is, perspective. Kakko and Laf are two of a very few select players that come straight into the NHL (AND STICK AND PLAY A REGULAR SHIFT) straight from the draft as teenagers.

Look no further than our very own Panarin! He is arguably one of the BEST players in the NHL. How long did he bake in the minors/lessor league (see what I did there?) pitting up pedestrian points before he became an NHL ALL-star.

I am just as impatient as every other NYR fan- but I’m not worried. Both of these guys are already showing great stuff! Not even mentioning the weird half seasons.

Reactions: Off Sides

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

need to give the Debs some credit, they were all over the place in period 1 but came out strong the next period, they played really well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It will literally just come down to the last two games of the season and NYR probably needing to beat Boston in regulation both games

Well Boston has 2 games after that (against NYI and Washington)

I think the hope there is that those games matter for those 2 teams in terms of positioning in addition to the Rangers still being "in it" vs Boston for those last 2 games.

Someone mentioned it, but Bostons next 3 games are against the NYIx2 and Washington. Rangers next 3 are against NJD. If there is a time to close that gap (and maybe even open up a small one) its now.

Reality: Rangers can afford to drop maybe one of their remaining games against NJ, Buffalo and Philly, win both against Boston and split vs Washington and go 2-1 vs NYI. There are going to be Georgiev starts in there too.

They'll end up falling short IMO unless Boston really hits the skids from here on out. Their next 3 are tough, but they also have 7 games left against NJD and Buffalo.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the stats. I agree with what you said regarding D+3. There are very few players that will overwhelm before that as backed up by your numbers.

I guess my point is, perspective. Kakko and Laf are two of a very few select players that come straight into the NHL (AND STICK AND PLAY A REGULAR SHIFT) straight from the draft as teenagers.

Look no further than our very own Panarin! He is arguably one of the BEST players in the NHL. How long did he bake in the minors/lessor league (see what I did there?) pitting up pedestrian points before he became an NHL ALL-star.

I am just as impatient as every other NYR fan- but I’m not worried. Both of these guys are already showing great stuff! Not even mentioning the weird half seasons.

I too am somewhat impatient, and I think the Rangers prospects will be just fine, yet I do somewhat question why teams seem to believe any player drafted #1, #2 and sometimes #3 or so, needs to play in the NHL.

Some of that is because players drafted out of certain junior leagues need to be in the NHL or back with their junior team. Some of that too is probably the team being happy they signed that prospect and wanting to see them play in the NHL asap, yet I'm not sure these super early draftees are really all that ready to be in the NHL. Once they are in the NHL I think it's difficult to distinguish between readiness and... well any number of things that could be causing said prospect to not look very good.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I would love to have heard Trouba's rally speech.

Look, boys, we play bad ok? We need to play good? Ok? Look, we read the online comments. They are right. Coach sucks. I told him not to come in, ok? Now, let's go out there and play good, ok? So Coach never comes in here anymore. OK?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Not saying he'll be as good. Saying that he reminds me of him, in style.
Yeah, got it! What I remember Jean was silky smooth and very quick. Great skater. Great hands, vision and quite the human being! Happy he is in the rafters (I cried) and back with our Rangers family.

Reactions: egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
To be fair, they were “NHL ready”

We were the ones that made up “Instant superstar/generational talent”
No we weren't. Go back and watch the draft shows. Kakko less so, but the punditry largely anticipated that Laf would be a 50-60 point player from day one, which is not "generational talent" level production, but still much higher than what he is actually putting up.

This argument has been had as nauseam here though, no interest in re-hashing it. Water under the bridge as the kids have all looks great in recent weeks.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Yeah, okay. I am down with Trouba. He obviously will be here awhile, and 8 mil should have a "C" attached, If indeed he stepped up and is well respected in "house", then by all means.
He has stepped up his game recently.....has to be that way.
I am wary for a dman being the Captain, as I feel it should be an offensive player stating "c'mon boys, we need a goal" and X player should help provide that needed goal or 2.

Wary? Because it seemed it cemented McD. But, not everyone is the same, obviously. We NEED a Captain, and IDC who at this point. As long as it isnt Howdy Doody or some introverted misfit.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's normal for most teams.. unless you baby your players or micro manage them.... or you're Torts.

If they look like shit in any given period, I am in the camp where the coach should intervene and 'lay it on them'.

I miss old Quinn. I do not know what happened but he's mellowed out. He had a fire in year 1 and year 2. He would yell at everyone during practice, stop practice when they were 'half assing' things and show more emotion during the game. Now he's flat and sterile... corporate almost.

Maybe Covid19, had some residual effect on him? Maybe he thought he was going to die, and self evaluated?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
He is a total dud of a personality, I've seen a lot of his interviews, he gives you nothing, seems like he's spaced out or just doesn't care or extremely focused. His body language also gives you nothing lol.

That feels like 95% of hockey players, if your looking for anything more than hockey cliches, but I also get it, how exciting is it to answer a question when a reporter says tell me about....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->