Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils -- 4/13/21

3 Stars

• Total voters

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Lots of people don't realize that playing hockey in the NHL is hard. When you are still a kid, playing against men, its even harder.
Very few U20ish players can come in and be dominant from day 1. Either you have McDavid like speed/skill or you are put in a unique situation to be successful.
I just want to make it clear that people certainly get this. The disconnect is that both Kakko and Laf were billed as “NHL ready” from day one, and Kakko at least had demonstrated quite a bit of success against men.

If the hockey world wasn’t slobbering all over themselves about how both are instant impact players, the expectations would have been more reasonable.

That said, I still think a large portion of this fan base is still in shock that we picked 1 and 2OA in consecutive years. They are choosing to judge those players by typical Rangers drafting standards (i.e., hoping for late firsts to become “good” players and waiting around for late round picks to develop) and I just disagree with that as a concept.

Water under the bridge at this point with everyone looking like they’ve got it figured out.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kakko doesn’t have it figured out. He’s got to get back to the SCORER he was. That’s the big puzzle piece.

He muffs shots hesitates that is still an issue. It’s probably the last piece to his game but he’s gotta find it. This is a kid that could score from anywhere. The big positive is that he’s now going to the middle of the ice and that’s where the goals are going to come from.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The game has slowed for Lafreniere. He looks so much better imo. He is playing at a much better pace, skating and is more assertive.

He needs to shoot more. He has a deadly shot
Hmmm...he might need a couple of oxygen tanks on his back....he looks gassed a lot....like bent over kind of gassed ! Did he have Covid in the off season ? Hopefully that can be addressed in the off season....

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Kakko doesn’t have it figured out. He’s got to get back to the SCORER he was. That’s the big puzzle piece.

He muffs shots hesitates that is still an issue. It’s probably the last piece to his game but he’s gotta find it. This is a kid that could score from anywhere. The big positive is that he’s now going to the middle of the ice and that’s where the goals are going to come from.

You're witnessing the process happening. It's as you say - he's going to the slot and shooting. They will start going in.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
cwEXByI.gif

BVzfvkP.gif

edit- made better gifs
"Hey PK... get off your knees! YOU'RE BLOWIN' THE GAME!!!"

Reactions: Cmox

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
My 3 star vote
Stephen Valiquette (If I would have listened to him I can have prevented myself from watching 75% of that crap)
Igor Shesterkin
Jacob Trouba/Vitaly Kravtsov
The KZB line needs some time away from each other. All 3 of them are at fault. I'm glad to see Kreider and Zibanejad appeared like they hashed the issue out, but this isn't working. It doesn't help when you lose every faceoff, but it goes way beyond that.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Quinn obviously knows the schedule. 9 games in the next 16 days. Every team is going through this. Only the STRONG, YOUNG and 4 lines will survive. Oh yeah, and Shesty goaltending. No team has a Shesty, like we do.
Speaking of schedule, I thought if we were alive going into the last two games of the season against Boston, it would be a win and you're in scenario. But it is not. Boston still has two games remaining after playing us. That sucks.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

We have no presence in the middle of the zone.

Until that changes, he and a lot of the team will struggle.

Blackwell is the only one not allergic to the high slot. At this point, I don’t know anymore... is it system or player style? Or both?

Reactions: leetch99

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We have no presence in the middle of the zone.

Until that changes, he and a lot of the team will struggle.

Blackwell is the only one not allergic to the high slot. At this point, I don’t know anymore... is it system or player style? Or both?

well again I don’t think Quinn knows what he’s doing so he’s certainly not helping these kids but it’s clear kakko last few weeks has been getting to the middle of the ice where he hasn’t been previously. Kakko and Laf are too good not to figure it out on their own eventually regardless of the coach so they will figure it out but I see changes more of the kakko I’ve seen prior to getting to the nhl. The shot hesitancy is the thing he’s got to overcome. This kid would shoot from anywhere in the past. He’s got to get that confidence back.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Ya know... they should have scored a bunch in the first period when they were playing like I think a team built around offense should play. I know it's a bit open and it gives the MSG Network contingent a touch of the vapors... but it could have been 4-0 after 1 and a complete laugher. So it's fine. Thank you for winning, heroes.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

It should be noted, that he wasn't really talked about as a goal scorer before the WJC. Before his draft year, he was always seen more as a playmaker. I've got the feeling that's more what he will become in the NHL level as well, and it's not really a problem when we have two very potential star goalscorers in Lafreniere and Kravtsov who we can play next to him.

Obviously I agree that he needs to improve his shot. Mikko Rantanen was kinda the same as a player profile, and he has turned into a great goal scorer as well. But the #1 issue for me with Kakko is still his skating.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I just want to make it clear that people certainly get this. The disconnect is that both Kakko and Laf were billed as “NHL ready” from day one, and Kakko at least had demonstrated quite a bit of success against men.

If the hockey world wasn’t slobbering all over themselves about how both are instant impact players, the expectations would have been more reasonable.

That said, I still think a large portion of this fan base is still in shock that we picked 1 and 2OA in consecutive years. They are choosing to judge those players by typical Rangers drafting standards (i.e., hoping for late firsts to become “good” players and waiting around for late round picks to develop) and I just disagree with that as a concept.

Water under the bridge at this point with everyone looking like they’ve got it figured out.

To be fair, they were “NHL ready”

We were the ones that made up “Instant superstar/generational talent”

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Once the grit is added we will be a different team altogether . Love seeing that from Kravs right now . Kudos for Kreider for dropping them even though he really did not want to do so and in all honesty...it has gotten ridiculous you can't rub a guy out on the boards without fear of having to fight after . The league should really get a handle on this stuff and start handing out the instigator more often . It's basically after every hard hit now ...even the legal good hits . It is pretty obvious the guy that lands on his ass is the instigator in 99 % of these situations that follow.....certainly not rocket science .

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
That was a pretty dull game but glad for the win.

buch had 19min of ice time. And zbad was second. Most guys only had 13-14 min.

why is kreider getting 15 min? In fact why is the kzb line which is struggling still getting so much ice time.

though to be fair, i didnt really feel like any line “had it” tonight.

i wonder if we quin would think about having Kravy play some C on the 4th line to see how he looks?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
well again I don’t think Quinn knows what he’s doing so he’s certainly not helping these kids but it’s clear kakko last few weeks has been getting to the middle of the ice where he hasn’t been previously. Kakko and Laf are too good not to figure it out on their own eventually regardless of the coach so they will figure it out but I see changes more of the kakko I’ve seen prior to getting to the nhl. The shot hesitancy is the thing he’s got to overcome. This kid would shoot from anywhere in the past. He’s got to get that confidence back.
That's the point I was trying to make. Most of the time there's no presence in the middle. A shot from a off angle, is an easy save off of Kakko. I agree, he's had a few plays where he was in tight and hesitated, you can tell he really doesn't trust his shot... hopefully he works on it in the offseason.

He has great edgework and is hard to take off the puck.... but does he have enough overall skating ability to consistently create good shooting angles for himself? say on the rush? He looks extremely sluggish through the neutral zone. I'd love to see him use power moves to cut into the middle of the ice. He's hitting the middle more but he's not really making himself enough of a threat imo. Its coming slowly. I love how Pittsburgh does it, they are always getting chances/scoring from the high slot. That's essentially what I envision from him

His current possession style game ( although it's been improving ) still needs to be complimented by middle of the ice presence from his teammates, or much better offensive ability from our defense. We're just so bad, as a team, at finding soft spots in between the dots. It's infuriating. Middle of the ice presence ≠ standing in front of the net. We're too easy to defend

Reactions: egelband

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Reminder since I constantly am reading how Chytil isn’t a center or he’s dragging guys down

in his last 11 games

3 goals 5 assists 8 pts

no pp time.

on about a 47 pt pace per 82 again with zero pp time.

I’m not quite sure what more people want from this kid he turned 21 like in sept. He’s kravtsovs age

He made a very nice pass on the Panarin goal for someone with no vision.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
In regard to those thinking it was a badly played game (more specifically the Rangers) and that Quinn should lay into the team, well......my thoughts are, regardless if people wanna downplay the game and say the Devils are icing an AHL team, well they can shove that.
Panarin and maybe even Stromer look banged up, Kreider I just cannot make excuses for, Zibby has taken a step backwards. But the effort was good enough, because anytime your Goalie Pitches a Shutout......thats a good thing, and looked like the forwards were backchecking very well, our defense was stellar (especially KAM, Trouba, regardless of that shitty graph) and Igor was very good when he had to be.

Congrats Igor, dont allow negative Nancy's in your life, bad enough it infiltrates mine.

Reactions: 9darter

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The big question is......will the Devils score a goal before Sunday? That is when Georgiev will probably play next.
Oh, check that. Thats when Georgiev SHOULD play next. But, Quinn is gonna be the "Quinntessential" dictator.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019

He just needs to learn how to Finnish and he will be all right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->