Series Talk: Rangers/Craps (Game 1 is Sunday 4/21 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Here. We. Go.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
  • Nothing easy for this team in the playoffs since the 1990s.
  • Heavy reliance on special teams and very mid 5 on 5 play all season long.
  • Woefully inconsistent, seemingly disengaged seasons from Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad
  • Poor stretch lasting 8 weeks from Igor Shesterkin
  • An opposing goalie who has the potential to play out of his mind
  • The birth and entire life to date of Jacob Trouba
Yes, there are plenty of reasons to worry going into this series, but I can't stress about it. If we can't win convincingly in a series like this, we've got much more serious problems to solve.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
  • Woefully inconsistent, seemingly disengaged seasons from Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad
Yes, there are plenty of reasons to worry going into this series, but I can't stress about it. If we can't win convincingly in a series like this, we've got much more serious problems to solve.
Its put up or shut up time for this leadership group.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah this is one of the situations where if you choke here you legitimately have to consider blowing up the team.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We're talking about rate. Brodzinski's production was fine for the role he's in. Per minute, he outscored Kakko who everyone wants in the top 9, Cuylle who everyone says had a great season, and Vesey who everyone likes.

With all due respect, I don't understand why efficiency and scoring to the minutes you play is such a sideways concept in hockey.

You would never complain that your 7th or 8th guy in an NBA rotation doesn't score 25 a game.

Comparing a 30 yr old nothing to a just turned 23 year old who had a pretty nasty injury this season. Coooool.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I dunno man, throwing a kid in like that...maybe he'd surprise me but I don't think he's talented enough to be a big difference maker in the NHL playoffs at this point
This caps team isn't very good. They're not making a deep playoff run. They're also a team that likely has some difficult years ahead. Maybe worry about developing him long term instead of throwing him in a meat grinder unnecessarily.

Reactions: NikC

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Wilson knows his assignment and it's not to go out there and fight Matt Rempe. Tom Wilson will do whatever the f*** he wants regardless of whether or not Rempe is out there, on the bench, whatever. I mean christ, Rempe does whatever he wants regardless of who the other team has in their lineup; do we not understand yet that deterrence isn't really a thing?

You play Rempe if you think his energy and physicality will give you a boost. You don't play him because of Tom Wilson.
I like it because the defense is forced to look over their shoulders when retrieving the puck in the offensive zone.

this might be unpopular, but because Rempe having a reputation as being reckless and a little crazy is a good thing for the team.

guys are gonna be more likely to bail out and try to save themselves to avoid injury.

Or they're gonna be a split second slower moving the puck along the boards because they're making sure there isn't a freight train in their periphery.

I agree that it won't stop Wilson from doing his thing, but it would be beneficial in other ways.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
We're talking about rate. Brodzinski's production was fine for the role he's in. Per minute, he outscored Kakko who everyone wants in the top 9, Cuylle who everyone says had a great season, and Vesey who everyone likes.

With all due respect, I don't understand why efficiency and scoring to the minutes you play is such a sideways concept in hockey.

You would never complain that your 7th or 8th guy in an NBA rotation doesn't score 25 a game.
because scoring rates in hockey don't scale like other sports.

There is much more variance in the quality of competition when you get more ice time, plus its a more random sport as a whole.

At most you would see 13 different players (typically less) playing against you in an NBA game. In the NHL its 18, and the ice time is much more evenly distributed than playing time in the NBA.

It's not a reliable stat for players who don't play big minutes.

I think anything short of at least ECF will result in significant pieces being moved.
agree. Trouba's gone if we don't make some noise IMO

Reactions: TheDirtyH

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like it because the defense is forced to look over their shoulders when retrieving the puck in the offensive zone.

this might be unpopular, but because Rempe having a reputation as being reckless and a little crazy is a good thing for the team.

guys are gonna be more likely to bail out and try to save themselves to avoid injury.

Or they're gonna be a split second slower moving the puck along the boards because they're making sure there isn't a freight train in their periphery.

I agree that it won't stop Wilson from doing his thing, but it would be beneficial in other ways.
Right. I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of what Rempe brings, but your logic is spot on. If you're Peter Laviolette and you agree that Rempe does these things, that's why you play him. You're not playing him because of Tom Wilson.

It's easy to forget because Tom Wilson is a f***ing ogre, but the Capitals also rely on him to provide offense. He's not in their lineup to chase around Matt Rempe. If Rempe is in, Wilson may challenge him to a fight, but otherwise I would expect that Wilson would generally ignore him (or at least, not go out of his way to engage). The guy was fourth on their team in scoring. They need him out there.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
if you're really "worried" about this series... i would suggest a different sport. This maybe the weakest Caps lineup i've seen in years... this is not a hot NYI team, or Tampa. This is a broken down trash heap Caps team.

Sure there's always the rangers playing down to their opponent which is my greatest concern... but worried? I'll save that for round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad