Series Talk: Rangers/Craps (Game 1 is Sunday 4/21 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Here. We. Go.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
After Lavi’s comments about him before the Ottawa game, I’d be absolutely floored if he doesn’t play Game 1. I give it 1 period before Wilson starts to stir shit up.
Lavi will pump all of the tires, as he should.

I see Brodzinski in the lineup Game 1, if Chytil isn't in. Rempe should not be put in as a proactive measure.

Matching Wilson with Rempe should only be done if necessary. The Rangers dont need to feed into it. This is about winning games, not fights or some stupid retribution to prove a point about something that happened years ago.

And Wilson will prob try to bait young Rempe into dropping them prematurely and turtle away to draw a PP, because hes a douchebag. They cant make the focus Wilson.

If they start down that road and prepare for it then they are losing sight of what they need to do to play the game that got them the #1 seed.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Lavi will pump all of the tires, as he should.

I see Brodzinski in the lineup Game 1, if Chytil isn't in.

Matching Wilson with Rempe should only be done if necessary. The Rangers dont need to feed into it. This is about winning games, not fights.

And Wilson will prob try to bait Rempe into dropping them prematurely and turtle away to draw a PP, because hes a douchebag
I think scratching Rempe for Game 1 would be a mistake. Put him in for the first game, which is a home game, and you energize the crowd and you set a proactive tone. You do it by necessity, you show a reactive posture.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm actually anxious to see Cuylle get his first crack at the playoffs - playing against a team with the player he models his game after (Wilson)

We'll need his physicality - I hope he continues to play a heavy game.
The key is keeping his hits hard but clean. The Caps powerplay has been good recently.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Caps are playing McIlrath, play Brodzinski. Our AAAA guy is better than their AAAA guy and McIlrath will have problems keeping up.

In saying that, there could be some argument made that Rempe's net-front presence in a series that will likely require someone fighting to get to that area of the ice with how Washington plays could be of some use.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I don't know how hard he's been "Wilsoning" the last few games, but I imagine he's on pretty thin ice after the latest suspension. I'm more worried about our defense's inability to move the puck under pressure than shenanigans.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So now that we're finally here, there are a couple things that will be important for the team moving forward in the playoffs.

Panarin having a big series will go a long way. We know his struggles last season in the postseason and the best way to move past that is to dominate this series. Lafreniere has those same concerns, but I think they force each other to produce based on their style of play and motion. Panarin would get stuck on the outside and on his wing before this season. That won't work with Lafreniere who likes the free wheeling and cycling. It's a big reason why that line has worked so well this season and needs to continue in R1.

The other questions are on the fringes. Is Gus the guy for 3LD or will Jones be forced to come in and take it over. Where does Rempe fit in for this series. The Wilson talk is going to be there and will Laviolette want Rempe to be available on the chance that they need a spark or an answer for Wilson's antics.

The biggest question is Chytil. Does he come back Game 1? Where does he slot in the lineup and who comes out if he is in? Could go Roslovic, but then you have two rookies with no postseason experience in Rempe and Cuylle in the bottom of the lineup. You're also forcing Chytil into an elevated role removing Roslovic. If he is struggling after missing time, you remove a piece that has fit at times on the top line. I think we see Cuylle and Rempe as the guys that will rotate in and out of the lineup at the get go. Let them get the experience and evaluate from there.

They also need to make this quick work. Don't mess around and let them make this a 6 or 7 game series. They've been in playoff mode for weeks now.

Reactions: FUZfan

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If he can’t play because of Wilson in this series he should never play again.
If that’s the only actual reason to keep him out.
Wilson does stupid things but there’s a lot more players who also do stupid things.
There is merit to that. Just wish he could have got some rime in at the end of the season but no problem with them being cautious.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
From the Caps POV:

Lindgren has been our MVP. If he stays hot, we have a chance. But every once in a while he'll let in 3 or 4. Charlie hasn't played this volume of games in nearly a decade, but he's riding a hot streak. Goaltending is always key but for this Caps team especially so.

Relatedly, our system is low-event trap hockey (not exclusively, but largely). It's actually well-calibrated for the playoffs when space tightens up. The overall talent is lacking but the team has been playing playoff-hockey for the last couple weeks and is already acclimated to the step-up in compete level. Can that continue to overcome the talent disparities?

Our young guys who started carrying us through the middle of the season have dropped off as the games have gone on. Guys like Protas and McMichael are the x-factor. Ovie, Oshie, and Strome will get their goals, but the Hendrix Lapierre's and Connor McMichael's will either step up or wilt.

The blueline has been banged up. Sandin and Jensen injuries have forced rookie Iorio and McIlrath into the lineup. Hopefully both guys are back in by Sunday but if not, that will be a huge factor. Carlson is the anchor of our team - dude plays like 30 mins a night in all situations and has been very reliable. But he's liable to make some mistakes, too.

Cracking up at all these Rempe/Wilson fantasies. Come on, it's the playoffs. Wilson is not taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes in exchange for a 4th liner.

Rangers should win but hockey has the most random playoffs of any major sport and the Caps could present some issues. I wouldn't be shocked to see this go either way. One thing is for sure: there's no real pressure on Wash. Nobody expected us to be here and this is really just extra development / seasoning for our younger core. That could be a boost mentally, as well. Not sure on the makeup of your guys but sometimes it's a blessing to be the underdog (though usually that also means you're a worse team which, of course, makes things challenging).

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
From the Caps POV:

Lindgren has been our MVP. If he stays hot, we have a chance. But every once in a while he'll let in 3 or 4. Charlie hasn't played this volume of games in nearly a decade, but he's riding a hot streak. Goaltending is always key but for this Caps team especially so.

Relatedly, our system is low-event trap hockey (not exclusively, but largely). It's actually well-calibrated for the playoffs when space tightens up. The overall talent is lacking but the team has been playing playoff-hockey for the last couple weeks and is already acclimated to the step-up in compete level. Can that continue to overcome the talent disparities?

Our young guys who started carrying us through the middle of the season have dropped off as the games have gone on. Guys like Protas and McMichael are the x-factor. Ovie, Oshie, and Strome will get their goals, but the Hendrix Lapierre's and Connor McMichael's will either step up or wilt.

The blueline has been banged up. Sandin and Jensen injuries have forced rookie Iorio and McIlrath into the lineup. Hopefully both guys are back in by Sunday but if not, that will be a huge factor. Carlson is the anchor of our team - dude plays like 30 mins a night in all situations and has been very reliable. But he's liable to make some mistakes, too.

Cracking up at all these Rempe/Wilson fantasies. Come on, it's the playoffs. Wilson is not taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes in exchange for a 4th liner.

Rangers should win but hockey has the most random playoffs of any major sport and the Caps could present some issues. I wouldn't be shocked to see this go either way. One thing is for sure: there's no real pressure on Wash. Nobody expected us to be here and this is really just extra development / seasoning for our younger core. That could be a boost mentally, as well. Not sure on the makeup of your guys but sometimes it's a blessing to be the underdog (though usually that also means you're a worse team which, of course, makes things challenging).
I would be shocked if the Rangers lose this series. It would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wilson targeting a player with a history of head injuries would be grounds for actual other honor-code breaking behavior.

Just some of the BS that can happen in a playoff series.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
From the Caps POV:

Time and time again, Wilson has shown that, in the heat of the moment, he cannot control himself. He might not intend to take himself out for 5, but my inclination is that he will out of lack of self-control.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I would be shocked if the Rangers lose this series. It would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the NHL.

In 2010 the 88-point, 8-seed Canadiens beat the 121-point, President's Trophy winning Caps based on the strength of hot goaltending and a trap-style defensive shell. If the Rangers lose this series, it wouldn't even be the biggest upset of the past 15 years much less NHL history.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Time and time again, Wilson has shown that, in the heat of the moment, he cannot control himself. He might not intend to take himself out for 5, but my inclination is that he will out of lack of self-control.

In a decade-long career, Tom Wilson has four total playoff fights: Anders Lee in 2015, Wayne Simmonds in 2016, Braydon Coburn in 2018, and Anders Lee again in 2020. The Caps won every one of those series except for 2020 which was bizarro bubble hockey. Take that bet if you want but history does not back it up.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
In 2010 the 88-point, 8-seed Canadiens beat the 121-point, President's Trophy winning Caps based on the strength of hot goaltending and a trap-style defensive shell. If the Rangers lose this series, it wouldn't even be the biggest upset of the past 15 years much less NHL history.
It would definitely one of the biggest upsets in history. The Caps have a -38 goal differential to the NYR +53.

Igor Shesterkin vs. Charlie Lindgren.

President's Trophy winners vs. 8 seed.

Would absolutely be in the conversation as one of the biggest upsets ever

Reactions: Captain Lindy

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
To say like "we're playing with house money" and "there's been bigger upsets" is fine. But to deny that the Capitals winning would be a huge upset is absurd. It's happened before and we could argue about which upsets are worse than others, but it would be a massive upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad